a good reason to abandon Windows period - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 02:14 PM

Year: 1989
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500
When it comes to a GUI based desktop I have several times tried to switch to several linux flavors only to come back to windows because the performance. While its true, updates tend to brake OEM machines because they do not plan to support their equipment for more then 90 days after you receive it, if you build your own system with semi current hardware these issues are non existent. I just built a new i9 based custom rig that is bullet proof. Before that I had a 4th gen i7. Auto updates on Win 10 for 3-4 years, never a problem. I have family that go out a buy a used Dell and it seems to brake with every update. Quality of hardware really affected your mileage. (That sounds familiar for some reason)

That being said, for server based applications, nothing beats a good debian or Ubuntu image. I colocated my SuperMicro 1U server recently with Proxmox (Debian 9) Running a VM for my webserver (Ubuntu 18.04), Phone (Freepbx [Cent OS, I think]), Media Server (Ubuntu 18.04 + Docker), and a Windows 10 VM that I can RDP from anywhere and use. Dual CPU 12 Cores 24 Threads, 128GB RAM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 02:59 PM

Year: 2018
Model: GL1800 DCT
Send a message via Skype™ to kentuckyrider
I use an abacus.

Joe
julimike54 likes this.

Any excuse for a ride!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 05:30 AM

Year: 2006
Model: GL1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
https://www.zdnet.com/article/window...-clash-widens/

it seems that Win7 which has been relatively stable, all of a sudden is crashing with the release of the April 9, 2019 "Security Update".

my Win7 PC has had all updates blocked for more than 3 years, and it has not had a single problem in that time. AVAST continues to check on things, but it has not come up with anything worse than 'pups'...
and of course, it continues to want to sell me on a "total security package".

I think the best security package is to stay away from Microsoft.

on the flip side, us Linux users can apply updates, when, and IF, we chose to do so.

Windows is a Pile of Junk in my Opinion.

It's like say the plumber builds your house with pipes that have holes in them

and they keep cramming goop in each hole to plug the leaks until finally the pipe is plugged up to not even flow water.

You know, windows didn't get that bad over night! It took fifteen years of careful development!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpay42 View Post
When it comes to a GUI based desktop I have several times tried to switch to several linux flavors only to come back to windows because the performance. While its true, updates tend to brake OEM machines because they do not plan to support their equipment for more then 90 days after you receive it, if you build your own system with semi current hardware these issues are non existent. I just built a new i9 based custom rig that is bullet proof. Before that I had a 4th gen i7. Auto updates on Win 10 for 3-4 years, never a problem. I have family that go out a buy a used Dell and it seems to brake with every update. Quality of hardware really affected your mileage. (That sounds familiar for some reason)

That being said, for server based applications, nothing beats a good debian or Ubuntu image. I colocated my SuperMicro 1U server recently with Proxmox (Debian 9) Running a VM for my webserver (Ubuntu 18.04), Phone (Freepbx [Cent OS, I think]), Media Server (Ubuntu 18.04 + Docker), and a Windows 10 VM that I can RDP from anywhere and use. Dual CPU 12 Cores 24 Threads, 128GB RAM.

I like your valid point on good hardware makes a difference.
But from my point of view , Im running a box that was specifically designed for windows , and its OEM All In One and it runs linux bazing fast all the time , and never hickups. SO I respect your comment greatly but why cant Microsoft do the same on this hardware ?

You know, windows didn't get that bad over night! It took fifteen years of careful development!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
haha ha... yup, that is why I like Linux.

I am right now using my newest ASUS TUF Gaming laptop on Win10 because the mint install went to crap with the 19.1 beta version.

I have 19.2 downloaded now, and when daylight and my eyes join up together, I will burn it to a new FOB after I do the sha256 bit check.

I will copy it to my DATA fob first, move it to my 18.3 Linux laptop so that I can verify everything in Linux, not under this POS Win10 crap. I don't get good results out of RUFUS, it has ruined more FOBs than it has worked well with.

once the ISO crashes, that FOB cannot be accessed again to make it usable.

Last edited by AZgl1800; 07-23-2019 at 04:24 PM.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 03:25 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
That means bye-bye to Windows10 if it works?
19.1Xfce ran on the laptop Dennis got and the Dell E6410 that I currently use.
AZgl1800 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamathumper View Post
I do love GnuCash, and I have a copy of it here somewhere. But, the accountants all need QuickBooks, or "standard' software.

Because People are against change, or too lazy for change and Billy OS is banking on it.

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 11:48 AM
Magic Moderator

Garage
What are FOBs for computers? I know what a USB stick is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trike lady View Post
What are FOBs for computers? I know what a USB stick is.
same thing, just a matter of terminology.
trike lady likes this.

~ John

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:01 PM
Magic Moderator

Garage
Thank you for clearing that up, I was thinking it was a different type of device for the newer machines with UEFI.

Retired trike builder.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Computer Talk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page