post #41 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trike lady View Post
They're sure making it hard for computer users to make changes.
I suppose for someone who sets on a bench, and does this stuff everyday, it is not problem for them.

they know all of the prerequisites, and are prepared to go before they start.

I'm going forward the same way I always did before, and there are "firewalls up" to keep me from doing what I want.

Now I need to research how to make that UEFI based thumb drive to install Linux Mint with.... argh!

we have a long time friend of mine coming to visit for 10 days, so my free time to work on this is limited... no hurry really I suppose, my old laptop still works "when it want to"
he and I were work buddies for 18 years with Phoenix Fire Department. He retired last Dec 30 and has been planning this trip for a year now.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 12:12 AM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
Someone in a shop would know all the steps to get into it.
I don't even think Tom would know about UEFI as he's been out of the business for many years and hasn't kept up. My books are old and my biggest one only mentions BIOS and one stops at XP and the other for Windows 7.
I'd get frustrated fast and then be trying to find a newer book to work on it. I know when I viewed the video he mentioned the F17 key and I thought to myself wtf.
By chance is it a Coffee Lake processor? They give them a strange name.

That's great to get some time and unwind with friends.

Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #43 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trike lady View Post
Someone in a shop would know all the steps to get into it.
I don't even think Tom would know about UEFI as he's been out of the business for many years and hasn't kept up. My books are old and my biggest one only mentions BIOS and one stops at XP and the other for Windows 7.
I'd get frustrated fast and then be trying to find a newer book to work on it. I know when I viewed the video he mentioned the F17 key and I thought to myself wtf.
By chance is it a Coffee Lake processor? They give them a strange name.

That's great to get some time and unwind with friends.

I heard that too, and played it over and over, and when I looked at the screen, the F7 key is the one for that function.

he was talking by rote, not a written script.

it didn't help that his accent is foreign to my ears, and with Tinnitus, I have trouble with stuff like that. that is why when I read news reports, I turn the AutoPlay on videos off, and only read the text.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL

~ John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 12:35 AM
Magic Moderator

Garage
I went back and watched the video and listen even more carefully and it sounded more like F7. The person making the video must be from India. Looking at what was opened up, you'd have to go through it slowly and read everything. It looks like a challenge,
Maybe this would be an idea: https://rufus.ie/

Retired trike builder.
post #45 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 03:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Okay,

looking at the Failed Message it says Failed to Detect GPU

so, I just took a big leap and decided that 18.3 kernels don't know how to handle this newest Intel cpu/gpu

so, I made up a 19.1 ISO and it booted up to the Live Session.

Now I have to decide how I want to proceed.
Alongside Windows, or just make it all Linux..... ?

it is way to late tonight to make that kind of decision, I am going to bed, it is now 04/25/2019 03:49

NASR 12 in Galena, IL

~ John
post #46 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:06 AM

Year: 2008
Model: GL1800
Soooo.....the guy sounds like he's from India, is he the same guy that calls me to say that I have a problem with my computer and to turn it on so he can fix it?
AZgl1800 likes this.

Charlie
post #47 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylow View Post
Soooo.....the guy sounds like he's from India, is he the same guy that calls me to say that I have a problem with my computer and to turn it on so he can fix it?

yup, the one who told me a couple days ago that my computer has a worm in it, and he can fix it for me.... he said Windows is bad....
and I said, "duh guy, my computer is LInux"

NASR 12 in Galena, IL

~ John
post #48 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
more problems:

told it to install, but it only see 38gB of a 500gB SSD, so I can't delete the partitions and make it one full 500gB partition for Linux.
sigh! wishing I had chose an Acer like I did for Cyndi.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL

~ John
post #49 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 03:15 PM
Magic Moderator

Garage
Is there any way to install a second HDD or SSD in it? Or would you have to buy another drive and switch them? Is it one of those laptops with a sealed base, no trap doors?

Retired trike builder.
post #50 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
the bottom can come off.
they actually inclosed 4 extra screws for the bottom in a tiny plastic baggie.

since it is a gaming pc, they know folks are going to loose screws. I will have to tape them to a large sheet of paper and tack them to the wallboard in my office.

I have been thinking to format an SSD in another laptop, and then exchange it with the one in the new laptop. don't know how the BIOS will react to that change though?

this BIOS is one super vicious piece of gear, I guess I am going to have to hit the owners forums?

NASR 12 in Galena, IL

~ John

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Computer Talk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page