post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Blew my IRS refund out the window

and bye bye Windows too
I have been looking at something to replace my current ASUS TP500L laptop for a long time.

I did a lot of dreaming about the Alienware 17R5, the fastest gaming machine in town last year, discounted down to 1499..... but, that was more than I wanted to spend.......... plus, it did NOT have a lot of features that are very important to me.... sub 3 hour battery life??
weight 10 lbs. ugh!
very sparse on USB ports to make me happy, and 1.25 inches thick??
No SDcard or XD media card reader port??

Looked at the Acers for $500 like I got for my daughter 2 years ago, she is very happy, but all she does is post pictures on Facebook.

I needed a Good lighted Keyboard, Better than Average WiFi capability, lots of ports to handle USB, Bluetooth, SDcards, MultiMediaCard memory cards, and decent battery life.

ASUS won out again, I chose this one: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-tu...?skuId=6293624

Yeah, it broke a kiloBux with taxes added on, but free shipping is supposed to salve the soul?

Oh well, this older ASUS keeps loosing WiFi connection just about every 90 seconds, no matter if using the internal WiFi card, or the very good Panda PAU06 usb adapter..... this morning just broke it off really hard....

typed up a long message, hit submit, and nothing, everything gone.

Decided right there, that today, I am going to surf the net, read the reviews and break the Refund check.....

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:31 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
I had to see the price and Yikes, its a nice laptop. I guess you'll send Windows10 Bon Voyage and set it up to run Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon? I cannot tell by the pic, but does it have the extra number keys? I only have one that has the extra keys.

Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:32 PM

Year: 2009
Model: 2009 Silver GL1800 ABS
Garage
Congrats John, looks very similar to Asus ROG GL752U except your SSD is larger and my co-processor is a GTX 960M... Have been very satisfied with mine and this is my second ASUS laptop...

Les

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul
Honorary Wild Rhino - 7/10/2014

GL1800 HPNAM9
Darkside #1574 - Bridgestone Driveguard RF
Double Darkside - BT-45

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trike lady View Post
I had to see the price and Yikes, its a nice laptop. I guess you'll send Windows10 Bon Voyage and set it up to run Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon? I cannot tell by the pic, but does it have the extra number keys? I only have one that has the extra keys.

it is a 17" laptop, and I will ONLY buy PCs or laptops that have a Full 102 keys keyboard.... yes, it has the Number Keypad on the right side

1st order of business is to make the Microsoft Restoration Media,
then make a full image of the SSD, then I will install Mint alongside Win10 to let that run a while..... that would allow me to run TurboTax next year from my laptop.... will shrink the Win10 partition down to the minimum.

trike lady likes this.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL

~ John
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:13 PM
Magic Moderator

Garage
That's really nice.
I only have one Dell with lighted keys and one Toshiba with the number keys, all the others are regular.
This is a picture of the collection or 'Fleet' as I call it and they all work. 2 Dells, 2 Toshiba and a lone Apple.
You deserve a good laptop , it's no fun working with old slow ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the collection.jpg (43.4 KB, 6 views)

Retired trike builder.
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:40 PM
Average Goldwing Rider

Year: 1972, 1981, 1985
Make: CB450, GL1100, GL1200I
Model: K5, Standard, Interstate
Hohn, My kid and all of his gaming buddies like the ASUS. I've been using their main boards in my desk tops for years. You are going to like this with the SS hard drive.
AZgl1800 likes this.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:

post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:27 PM
Magic Moderator

Garage
Let us know how you like your new laptop.

Retired trike builder.
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trike lady View Post
Let us know how you like your new laptop.

Oh, that I will for sure.
from what dadztoy has told me about his laptop in the past, I think it is a sure thing that it will please me.

My daughter nearly swallowed her tongue when I told her I bought it, and what it cost. She said "but you just bought a nice little Dell for $75.00 that looks like brand new, why not use that?"

well, I bought that one for my sister, and it is almost 10 years old, and slower than I can put up with.... even with the SSD that I put in it, it is slow, and limited to maybe 4gB RAM? don't recall about that, it is not enough though.

and the keyboard is all wrong, no 10 key pad, it is a 14" model.
this one I am using is a 15" model with ten key pad, but the display is too narrow for me to see all of a page at once....

I have to have large fonts, and 15" won't do the trick.

On my desktop PC, I have a 24" monitor on it, and can size the browser to my needs easily. but, can you imagine lugging a 24" monitor around with you on a laptop?

NASR 12 in Galena, IL

~ John
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:56 PM
Magic Moderator

Garage
How large is the processor in the Dell? The two I have are 2.50 and 2.63GHz processors with 8RAM and they do fine.

Retired trike builder.
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:23 PM
life is good

Year: 1991
Make: gl 1500 interstate
Model: 91 interstate
i wish i could figure out how to change my avatar picture.do i need a 1499.00 laptop for that.lol.

life is good.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Computer Talk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page