Linux Mint 19.2 is released 15 July 2019 - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 12:00 AM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
That's really protecting the hard drive from being tampered with. Windows10 is protecting its asset. Did you get some version of Linux to work on it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trike lady View Post
That's really protecting the hard drive from being tampered with. Windows10 is protecting its asset. Did you get some version of Linux to work on it?
Mageia came the closest, it actually appeared to fully install, the GUI was up and running, then when it said to "remove install media and reboot", Linux crashed.

having thought about it now for a while, I am thinking the BIOS is not allowing access to foreign OS's period.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 06:13 AM

Year: 1993
Model: GL1500 Aspencade 1980 GL1100 STD Vetter
It's likely encrypted. This is a function of the BIOS, not Windows 10. There's probably some security settings in the BIOS. Once set, that encryption is permanent unless you completely wipe the drive.

A lot of newer machines are doing this in the interest of laptop security, the idea is to prevent access of the system drive by booting any live OS, and to prevent access by removing the system drive and connecting it to another computer.

If you were to pull that system drive out and put in another drive you could most likely see it. Might have to twiddle the security settings in BIOS. Be very careful doing this, you will likely make your system drive unreadable, too. I'd recommend doing a FULL BACKUP of the system drive before doing ANYTHING like this first so your system can be restored if something goes awry.

You won't be able to decrypt the system drive, but making it an external drive and doing a low-level format (wiping EVERYTHING) should restore the drive to out-of-the-box unencrypted state.

1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverWinger View Post
It's likely encrypted. This is a function of the BIOS, not Windows 10. There's probably some security settings in the BIOS. Once set, that encryption is permanent unless you completely wipe the drive.

A lot of newer machines are doing this in the interest of laptop security, the idea is to prevent access of the system drive by booting any live OS, and to prevent access by removing the system drive and connecting it to another computer.

If you were to pull that system drive out and put in another drive you could most likely see it. Might have to twiddle the security settings in BIOS. Be very careful doing this, you will likely make your system drive unreadable, too. I'd recommend doing a FULL BACKUP of the system drive before doing ANYTHING like this first so your system can be restored if something goes awry.

You won't be able to decrypt the system drive, but making it an external drive and doing a low-level format (wiping EVERYTHING) should restore the drive to out-of-the-box unencrypted state.
I had already thought to replace the OEM SSD, and save it.
But, it is buried underneath so much copper pipe cooling stuff that it is invisible. I can't find it w/o taking the laptop totally apart.

when I opened it up, that is when I discovered that it has a 2nd HDD tray available. I dropped in a 120gB SSD that I already had on hand.

if that works, I would replace that with a 500gB or 1TB SSD.

this review shows the bottom side of the laptop, it is for last year's model, but looks the same as this one.

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/1972...x504ge-review/

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 11:29 AM
Magic Moderator

Garage
Holy Hanna! that's a gigantic heat sink. The second hdd slot is that the rectangular metal lid next to the right cooling fan?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trike lady View Post
Holy Hanna! that's a gigantic heat sink. The second hdd slot is that the rectangular metal lid next to the right cooling fan?
IIRC,
you are right. been a long time now since I installed it.
the dimensions don't look right though, it installed as a standard 2.5" HDD,
so I believe that the picture has chopped off a 1/3rd of the PC board.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 01:33 PM
Magic Moderator

Garage
Opening up a Dell E6410 is 'Tinkerer Friendly' and you don't mind swapping stuff. That looks more like barbed wire and don't touch.
AZgl1800 likes this.

Retired trike builder.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 01:45 PM
Magic Moderator

Garage
I went and looked at the website and found the complete pic of the interior and it shows a hdd in the lower right. What's really under that metal lid? I wonder where the primary hdd is hidden? Is the lower right where you installed a hard drive or is it the main one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg interior-1.jpg (153.4 KB, 4 views)

Retired trike builder.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 05:46 PM

Year: 1993
Model: GL1500 Aspencade 1980 GL1100 STD Vetter
Circled in red is your system drive, it is not a form factor you are used to. Called SATA M.2

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (128.6 KB, 8 views)

1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ah!!!

I remember seeing that little vertical piece of silicon now.
I thought it was the memory chips... those must be up top under the metal piece.

the lower right, is where I slid in the 120gB SSD. would have used a bigger one, but those got used up

I'm wondering now, if I replaced that SATA M.2 SSD with a blank one, if the BIOS would let me install Linux on it?

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Computer Talk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page