GL1200 performance mods - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Guru

Post imported post

I think one of the reasons it doesn't compute from my perspectiveis due to the fact that the 1200 has the wrong gear ratio to match a modified high rpm engine. The large valve and port engine would run terrible at low rpms and if you used a GL1000 rear gear you'd most likely break it.

The GL1200 has a factory rated 7500 rpm redline and I have spun my own 1200 up and over 8000 rpm on many occasions when I had open pipes.

Maybe you could consider a GL1500 rear gear (same ratio as 1200 but a lot beefier)transplant then look for a supercharger to work on the 1200from Ebay and then you'd have something really exciting that you could easily drive in traffic everyday. And if you added NOX you could smile at crotch rockets at the stoplights.

Vic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A place for GL1200\'s to gather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 09:24 AM

Year: 2015
Make: Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS
Model: My previous bike was a 2000 Honda Valkyrie
Post imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
Quote:
I think one of the reasons it doesn't compute from my perspectiveis due to the fact that the 1200 has the wrong gear ratio to match a modified high rpm engine. The large valve and port engine would run terrible at low rpms and if you used a GL1000 rear gear you'd most likely break it.

The GL1200 has a factory rated 7500 rpm redline and I have spun my own 1200 up and over 8000 rpm on many occasions when I had open pipes.

Maybe you could consider a GL1500 rear gear (same ratio as 1200 but a lot beefier)transplant then look for a supercharger to work on the 1200from Ebay and then you'd have something really exciting that you could easily drive in traffic everyday. And if you added NOX you could smile at crotch rockets at the stoplights.

Vic
Thanks Vic! I had overlooked the final drive gear ratio. This is the kind of info I needed. I must think about this for a while before continuing. I'm not interested in tinkering with a blower and/or NOX. If so, it would have been done on my Valkyrie.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Guru

Post imported post

In that case maybe what you could do is install a four into one pipe and use an offset key in the cam or crank keyways to change cam timing after you port and polish the 1200 heads. Made a big difference on my Wing when I opened the exhaust ports and ran open exhaust. I have since had to install silencers in the exhaust so that my wife would ride with me. Just the silencers alone took 500 rpm off the redline.

Good luck and enjoy your tinkering and most of all drive safe after you get it all hot rodded up.

Vic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 01:48 PM
DJ

Post imported post

Hi QueXpressand welcome to the forum. If you read the info with the link you supplied you can see that the gl1000 heads were heavily modified (different cams etc) first. Just plonking the heads straight onto the gl1200 is bad news. A guy in Germany did this a few years back and he posted on the GWRRA site about all the grief he had with it. OH is overheating, and the German guy had plenty of that for a start.
Of course I can't find the thread on the GWRRA forum now, its become a black hole over there in latter years with some great information getting lost forever.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 04:22 PM

Model: 1997 GL1500 SE
Post imported post

Hey Vic, remember the blower setup that was on ebay a while back? It was on a GL1100 if I recall... Don't recall what it sold for, but have you ever seen one in person?

Raymond

1997 GL1500 SE Pearl Sapphire Black
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 04:28 PM

Post imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
Quote:
In that case maybe what you could do is install a four into one pipe and use an offset key in the cam or crank keyways to change cam timing after you port and polish the 1200 heads. Made a big difference on my Wing when I opened the exhaust ports and ran open exhaust. I have since had to install silencers in the exhaust so that my wife would ride with me. Just the silencers alone took 500 rpm off the redline.

Good luck and enjoy your tinkering and most of all drive safe after you get it all hot rodded up.

Vic
Thanks Vic!

I will put this project on hold for the time being. I'll keep you informed.

Note:
I have a similar exhaust set-up on my Valk.
http://hammer.prohosting.com/~schutzrs/packs.htm
It's very nice to be able to add/remove silencers as required at that moment.

I just shuffle slower.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 04:30 PM

Post imported post

DJ wrote:
Quote:
Hi QueXpressand welcome to the forum. If you read the info with the link you supplied you can see that the gl1000 heads were heavily modified (different cams etc) first. Just plonking the heads straight onto the gl1200 is bad news. A guy in Germany did this a few years back and he posted on the GWRRA site about all the grief he had with it. OH is overheating, and the German guy had plenty of that for a start.
Of course I can't find the thread on the GWRRA forum now, its become a black hole over there in latter years with some great information getting lost forever.
Hi DJ!
It sure would have been nice to see that thread! Thanks for the input! It is very appreciated!

I just shuffle slower.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Guru

Post imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
Quote:
Hey Vic, remember the blower setup that was on ebay a while back? It was on a GL1100 if I recall... Don't recall what it sold for, but have you ever seen one in person?

Raymond
I've held the Magnussen supercharger in my hands Raymond but I haven't seen an 1100 nor a 1200 with one installed yet.

But, here's a Valkerie with a couple of Magnachargers installed;

I don't think you'd need coffee to wake you up if you drove one of these. LOL.

Vic

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 06:29 PM

Model: 1997 GL1500 SE
Post imported post

Found this too:

http://lamonster.com/

Raymond

1997 GL1500 SE Pearl Sapphire Black
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 06:48 PM

Post imported post

I know many guys in the VRCC club with blowers on their Valkyries. These rides are awesome to say the least.

http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/files/valkblower.jpg

I just shuffle slower.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page