GL1200 performance mods - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Guru

Post imported post

I'd like to do some performance upgrades to my 84 GL1200. Has anyone here ever adapted GL1000 heads and cams etc. to a GL1200? If so, what problems did you encounter and what kind of performance gains did you incur? From what I understand the timing belt pulleys are a different size and I know that the ignition system is totally different(electronic vs. point type, cam driven). Any input would be truly appreciated.

Vic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A place for GL1200\'s to gather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 07:25 PM

Post imported post

It won't work. The edges of the pistons on the 1200 come about 0.5mm above the block on the 1200 and will hit off the smaller diameter port on the 1000 head. You could probably file some off the heads but is it worth it? A 1200 head on a GL1000 would be nice but the other way round seems unusual.

Eamonn.
1985 GL1200 Aspencade
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 08:52 PM

Post imported post

Actually it can be done, but the 1200 will run like a pig. I've heard of this job done twice and there were lots of problems. Some of the consistent problems that didn't get cured in either case were;

erratic idling, rough running at mid-high range. More importantly, chronic overheating of the heads, continually failing head gaskets because of the OH. If you really want roasted heads, buy a GL1800 that hasn't had the fix (sorry lads I couldn't resist that one :P).

The bottom line is that I wouldn't even consider touching this job, too many problems. Why not just fit a Nitro kit to the GL1200 instead, I'd say you would get some very interesting moments with that and less problems all round!

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Guru

Post imported post

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your knowledge. It didn't make a lot of sense to me as well because I believed that the 1000 would, theoretically, have smaller ports than the 1200. I got the opposite info from another site for Wings. Regarding the nitrous I priced it already and it's $1200. U.S., then it gets used up real quick and has to be refilled $$$$$.

I do have a turbo that's the correct size for the 1200 and that's one of the reasons I wanted to go with the 1000 heads, for the use of the adjustable advance setup. Any ideas on how I could retard and advance the ignition timing on the 1200 to coincide with the turbo boost?

Thanks again, Vic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 07:27 PM

Year: 2015
Make: Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS
Model: My previous bike was a 2000 Honda Valkyrie
Post imported post

I have deleted this message because it was a copy of my other one. Sorry about that!

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 07:30 PM

Post imported post

Jason wrote:
Quote:
Actually it can be done, but the 1200 will run like a pig. I've heard of this job done twice and there were lots of problems. Some of the consistent problems that didn't get cured in either case were;

erratic idling, rough running at mid-high range. More importantly, chronic overheating of the heads, continually failing head gaskets because of the OH. If you really want roasted heads, buy a GL1800 that hasn't had the fix (sorry lads I couldn't resist that one :P).

The bottom line is that I wouldn't even consider touching this job, too many problems. Why not just fit a Nitro kit to the GL1200 instead, I'd say you would get some very interesting moments with that and less problems all round!
I'm surprised to read this because I have been planning to do this mod since seeing this on the net.
http://groups.msn.com/BackYardBuiltG...mp;PhotoID=128

More importantly, chronic overheating of the heads,

Why would this happen?

[sup] continually failing head gaskets because of the OH.[/sup]
What does OH stand for?

Sorry for asking so many questions in my first post. I just want to make sure I understand what I'm getting into.
TIA!

I just shuffle slower.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 07:34 PM
GERIATRIC MEMBER

Model: Neighbours 1800
Post imported post

QueXpress wrote:
Quote:
[suP]continually failing head gaskets because of the OH.[/suP]
What does OH stand for?

Sorry for asking so many questions in my first post. I just want to make sure I understand what I'm getting into.
Hey QueXpress Welcome to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. Dont be afraid to ask questions on this Forum, there is no such thing as a silly question here. I can answer just one for you. OH means overheating.

"Redwing"

"The Rider Of The Fastest Colour"
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Guru

Post imported post

Well done Redwing.

Wow, I can't believe that old post is still around. That was long before I became senior Guru here and long before I thought about building a home made fuel injection system for my GL1200.

Sure brings back a lot of fond memories of this site when I first started out here and it sure is nice to see you welcoming all the new guys onto this terrific site.

QueXpress, you can make anything work on anything you want, but, I personally don't think that the 1000 heads are a good choice for the 1200 as Jason states. Just too much time and expense for the benefits derived unless you truly enjoy tinkering like I do.

Vic

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 09:25 PM

Post imported post

Redwing wrote:
Quote:
QueXpress wrote:
Quote:
[sup]continually failing head gaskets because of the OH.[/sup]
What does OH stand for?

Hey QueXpress Welcome to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. Dont be afraid to ask questions on this Forum, there is no such thing as a silly question here. I can answer just one for you. OH means overheating.

Thanks Redwing!

I just shuffle slower.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 09:43 PM

Post imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
Quote:
Well done Redwing.

Wow, I can't believe that old post is still around. That was long before I became senior Guru here and long before I thought about building a home made fuel injection system for my GL1200.

Sure brings back a lot of fond memories of this site when I first started out here and it sure is nice to see you welcoming all the new guys onto this terrific site.

QueXpress, you can make anything work on anything you want, but, I personally don't think that the 1000 heads are a good choice for the 1200 as Jason states. Just too much time and expense for the benefits derived unless you truly enjoy tinkering like I do.

Vic
Hi Vic!

I enjoy tinkering on motorcycles as much as I like to ride them. My present bike (Valkyrie 2000 Tourer) has been completely modified. I'm now picking up parts for my next project (GL1200 street custom).
I am thinking of using the heads from a 1975 GL1000 for the following reasons:
- the 1975 GL1000 has the hottest cam (GL1000, GL1100, GL1200)
- the 1975 heads have solid lifters versus hydraulic ones. The redline is between 8500 to 9000 compared to 5500 to 6000 for the GL1200 with hydraulic lifters. This reminds me of the lifter set up on our Valkyries compared to the one on the GL1500.
- The diameter of the intake valves on the 75 GL1000 is 38 mm compared to 36 mm on the GL1200. The exhaust valves are the same for both models.
- The carb venturi on the 75 GL1000 is 32 compared to 30 for the GL1200. I intended on using the 75 GL1000 carbs for a while, and then installing a pair of Weber IDF downdraft carbs (40 or 36).
Other mods will follow but for the time being, I must make sure that I'm not way out in left field with this head swap. If any of the above reasons for making this mod do not compute, please let me know. I tend to believe that this engine would kick ass ... but I could be wrong (It wouldn't be the first time!).

Thanks for the welcoming! It is very appreciated!

I just shuffle slower.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page