1976 GL1000 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 12:12 PM

Post imported post

I have a 1976 GL1000, which runs very badly below 4000 rpm, I have found that the two front cylinders do not fire and be effective until the engine reaches approx 4000 rpm. I have changed both head gaskets, ground in all valves, checked all clearences, fitted new plugs, points, and condensors, checked all wiring including swapping the coils around. fitted new cambelts, cheked the valve timing both by alingement marks, and with a dti gauge. removed and cleaned the carbs,ballanced the carbs. my best guess is that its a fuel problem. any advice would be much appreciated its beat me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 12:52 PM

Post imported post

The 76 models were supposed to be the worst of the bunck, carb wise anyway. Do the front spark plugs look any different than the back ones?

Ambrose Renehan.
GL1800, 2007 silver.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 03:50 PM
The Irish Crew

Post imported post

All the posts I've read on the gl1000 suggest that carb problems are particularly bad on the 1976 models. That's why many guys fit either bigger jets or just replace the carbs with ones from the gl1100.

Dave Heffernan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 04:40 PM

Post imported post

The first questions that I would ask are: 1) Are you using the Honda Point sets? If they do not have the copper (brass) grounding strap on the spring, they may not be allowing good enough continuity to saturate the coils.

2) How many miles on the clock? After 30 to 40 k miles the cam shafts may have a little to much play in the journals. Not much that you can do about this but it does lead us to Q3.

3) Are the points arranged and gapped at a position whereby the 180 degree crankshaft dwell(90 degrees cam rotation) may be resulting in "Dwell overlap" This is to say that both coils are beingsaturated with current (less than the normal 9 volts through the ballast resister) at the same time. This is pretty easy to check in that you locate the two wires leading from the points (blue - yellow) and connected behind the battery cover and dissconnect them both. Then connect a VOM meter to the blue wire (left points set) and to the engine ground. If you are sure that the timing and points gap are correct, rotate the engine until the left set is ready to open at the F-1 mark but not there yet, say 1 or 2 degrees previous to the mark. Un-hook the VOM from the left points wire and connect it to the right points wire. If both have continuity (points closed) then both coils are receiving current at the same time and the voltage to each will drop to around 5 volts. If this is occuring it can cause the mis firing that you are experiencing up to 3000 to 4000 rpm.

Let me know if this is happening.

Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 05:10 PM

Post imported post

Pistol Pete knows his stuff. I knowa few gl1000people that had terrible problems simply due to not using Honda points. Honda points off another bike (CB450 I think) are suposed to be better than the stock gl1000 points. Not saying that's your problem, but it should be on your checklist.

Eamonn.
1985 GL1200 Aspencade
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 12:22 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

With two cylinders acting up and four separate carbs, it tends to support the probability of iginition problems. If the excellent trouble shooting outlined by PistolePete doesn't solve it consider the possibility of a bad condenser. Normally ignition problems get worse with increasing rpm. One thing that comes to mind is the possibility of a bad condenser. Failing condensers may have too little capacity left to reduce arcing of the points at low speed while at higher speeds the increasing frequency of the pulses from the points can still be damped by the remaining capacitance. Capacitive reactance decreases with frequency so the arc suppression increases with rpm. The ignition coil depends on a sudden collapse of current in the primary coil to generate high voltage in the coil secondary coil which is fed to the plugs. At low speeds any arcing of the points allows the primary coil current to decrease more slowly over time preventing a sharp collapse of the primary current resulting in much lower secondary voltage. Ergo weaker spark.

I know this is old stuff to most of you but sometimes the electrical workings of the iginition system aren't too clear.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 01:02 PM

Send a message via MSN to jimchristiansen
Post imported post

My GL1000 from the dump was assumed to have had a blown engine before I picked it up. It also wouldn't run on all cylinders below a considerable rpm was reached. It runs now... This is what was wrong with it:
All 4 plugs changed- made a world of difference, but still nothing between idle and 4000 or 5000 rpm-
Points were badly gapped-
Ignition bably timed- still nothing between idle and 4000 or 5000 rpm-
Then I pulled the 4 carbs out and quickly (I had a one day temporary operator's permit I didn't want to waste!) cleaned the cv sliders up so that they even slide up and down...imagine!
Voilla- that did the trick-
Things weren't perfect, but the back firing and non-existant middle range came to life (later, as it turns out the primary and secondary jet o-rings were spewing gas so it was really rich).
Hope this helps, Jim
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 02:08 PM
Senior Guru

Post imported post

I love hearing stories like yours Jim. It's nice to hear that old Gold Wings get to come back to life at the hands of caring enthusiasts.

Are you in Creston B.C. or Creston Ontario?

Happy Christmas.

Vic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A place for GL1200\'s to gather.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 06:40 PM

Send a message via MSN to jimchristiansen
Post imported post

Hi Vic, Creston, BC.

No snow here yet and I had the bike out on the deck running it after finally putting in the second 1200 belt tensioner (messy mod but it is good to go) and retiming the 1000 one more time... Here is a pic with my daughter letting the clutch out- less the point cover and timing belt covers. Man it sure is good to hit the starter button after a big job like this and just have the thing purr!

Now, I have some PPG Trucks TV show "Copperhead" paint color ready to spray on the colored parts and one front Bridgestone to mount...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hill.jpg (63.2 KB, 152 views)
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 08:21 PM
Senior Guru

Post imported post

Jim, you look very proud of yourself and you should be for making that Wing look so pretty.

Enjoy your Christmas.

Vic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A place for GL1200\'s to gather.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page