How to keep a cat from peeing on my wing. - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to philcsand Send a message via Yahoo to philcsand
Post imported post

Ok, so there is a cat who has decided that it ownes my bike. I found this out as I was checking the oil level, and went to rub my nose... !

Short of hiding in the bushes with my shotgun, does anyone know how to keep a cat from pissing on my bike?

I have heard that orange oil is a natural cat repellant, but I'd like to hear from some cat owners.

Also, what will take that stench away?

My Toys:
1984 GL1200 - Nothing\'s broken... HOLY CRAP!
1980 KZ750-4 - Sold
1989 Catalina 22 -Sold
2007 Crappy Chinese made 50cc scooter - More fun than it should be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 06:53 PM

Post imported post

Hi,

I don't know if about repellents, but I'm pretty sure that any of the orange/citrus based degreasers will take the smell away. Since they are orange based, it MAY solve your repellent problem, too.

Other than that, cats are fairly smart, and hate water. If you can catch the little darling, just spray the heck out of it with your hose. Several times.

Jack

1983 GL1100 Interstate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 07:01 PM
Banned

Post imported post

Mr Kitty is marking his territory. To show him its YOUR territory, connect a fuel oil furnace transformer to the bike frame and ground the other end.

Kitty will reach Warp 8 in just a few feet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 07:23 PM

Post imported post

Dispose of the feline.

hobie

Mark
Wineberry 1983 Interstate
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 07:54 PM

Post imported post

I remember seeing a book once, I think the title was "100 Things To Do With A Dead Cat".

81 CB750C
86 GL1200A
86 Gl1200SEi
Proud member of the Patriot Guard Riders
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 08:32 PM

Post imported post

I had a cat that used to like to piss on a Italian couch that I had stored in my garage and no matter how many holes I plugged up in the garage it finally got it and did it's business. My mom and Ex are both in the vet field and they both agree that if u park the bike in an open space ( a space that can not be reached by jumping from a shelf to the bike and spraying a circle around the bike with a 1:1 ratio ammonia or vinegar mix will thwart the (male I am taking it) cat from amrking it's territory, If that doesnt seem to work, and u have you bike covered with a tarp, try applying the vineagr or ammonia to the tarp, it might not smell the bestm but it smells better than car urine.

As far as getting the smell out Petsmart sells a product taht can do it, or you can use good ol Febreeze :P
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 08:35 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

33zip wrote:
Quote:
I remember seeing a book once, I think the title was "100 Things To Do With A Dead Cat".
Ah yes, we have a copy of said book! I particularly liked the pencil sharpener. Disgusting book of course, we just keep a copy to show our cat when he acts up!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 08:40 PM

Post imported post

post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 03:19 AM

Send a message via MSN to Black Bart
Post imported post

I suggest catching the wee feckr in a live trap and have him neutered by the local Vet , theres some scheme where if its a stray, you can have it done free.

I have a cat , but he will only ever spray my wing once...

BB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 05:44 AM
JDC

Post imported post

Quote:
philcsand wrote: Ok, so there is a cat who has decided that it ownes my bike. I found this out as I was checking the oil level, and went to rub my nose... !

Short of hiding in the bushes with my shotgun, does anyone know how to keep a cat from pissing on my bike?

I have heard that orange oil is a natural cat repellant, but I'd like to hear from some cat owners.

Also, what will take that stench away?
There are some commercial products available from your local pet store that can aid in keeping a house cat from spraying your ride.. Most times those products won't work, or only work on house cats that are somewhat tame.. If you have a rouge male feline spraying your bike I doubt anything will fully work other than relocating either the bike of the offending cat..
Problem is: once one cat sprays the area (your bike in this case) other male cats will re-mark with their personal logo..

As "domsob1974" said-- ammonia or an ammonia mix could work (I use that in my trash when I put the bags out to keep dogs, cats, & large birds from ripping the trash up until the truck comes).. If the cat isn't really intent on marking your Wing then the ammonia will probably work (careful with the vinegar as that is a mild acid)..
If the cat isn't a close friend or a neighbors beloved fluffy pet then a live trap baited with tuna fish will probably work for the capture,, then, depending on where you live, a trip to the local animal impound yard (dog impound) will either keep the cat from returning, or the cat's owner will have to pay a fair ransom to retrieve the animal & probably won’t allow it outside again for a while.

I have owned a number of cats over the years some inside pets & others just barn mousers & can say with some confidence that once they start spraying something it is difficult to deter them unless one or the other is permanently relocated.
Most cats do hate the smell of citrus fruits & will turn their nose & run when confronted with the smell but I have my doubts that will deter a hardened rouge male cat from spraying.

As far as removing the smell? There are some commercial products that will work somewhat (check withyour local pet shop) but if an absorbent material like a seat or cloth is sprayed that smell will be very hard to remove.. Hard items like engine cases or tires can be cleaned with strong soap & other cleaning products.. Be sure to wash after a spray job as cat urine is quite corrosive..

I wish there was an easy or simple answer (I would imagine the cat would agree if you have to get aggressive with him) but anything short of relocation of either the bike or feline is probably your only real solution..

JDC

JDC
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page