Paint for the old girl - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I'd like to re-paint my 1200a a non Honda color and the manual says you have to use a special paint that will flex with the plastic used in the fairings and things.

Was wondering what kind of paint others had used in this situation?

Thanks

81 CB750C
86 GL1200A
86 Gl1200SEi
Proud member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 12:49 AM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

33zip wrote:
Quote:
I'd like to re-paint my 1200a a non Honda color and the manual says you have to use a special paint that will flex with the plastic used in the fairings and things.

Was wondering what kind of paint others had used in this situation?

Thanks
My previous bike, a 1986 SEI was repainted with PPG Ford Jade Green. It looked great! There was no sign of cracking or peeling. As for plastic flexing, just about any automobile paint has to have sufficient plasticizers to allow for the flexing of auto body parts such as air dams, bumper covers, etc. The nice part of painting a bike is that most of the painted parts come off so you don't have to do so much masking. Also the vehicle is a lot smaller so the work is less onerous. Go for it!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 03:45 AM

Post imported post

If you are painting bare plastic, you will need special epoxy primer, this grips well and won't fall off as the panels flex. Then you use yor metallic base colour as normal (you can't mix plasticiser with metallic) and then you mix a small amount of plasticiser with the clearcoat. If you are spraying over the existing paint after keying it with 400 wet & dry, then you won't need epoxy primer. Standard 2-pack will do fine, or high build cellulose for paint with fine scratches. Use the plasticiser with the clear coat.

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

The top of the trunk, saddle bags, etc. has deteriorated so bad that it's going to be a lot of sanding to smooth it all out. Then there's the stripping to deal with. I've been reading the back post's on the removing old stripping. Doesn't sound like to much fun to me.

I guess when the 86 Honda manual was written the paint was not as sophisticated as it is now. Didn't think about that. I'm pretty good at shooting lacquer on wood so thought I would try painting the Wing myself. If I mess it up to bad I'll take it in to a local auto body shop for a re-paint.

Thanks

81 CB750C
86 GL1200A
86 Gl1200SEi
Proud member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page