Overheating issue still not solved in 79 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

(short story: 79 had been overheating. bought new waterpump - bike already had a new pump "in situ." checked thermo and that was fine. looked at radiator - that appears fine (have extra in case))

I will end up putting it all back together this week and hopefully have it fired up by the coming weekend, but I do not have high hopes to have resolved the overheating issue, since I will have done very little to change my existing situation.

any more ideas before I bolt it all up?

1979 1000 nekkid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 10:55 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

sanfelice wrote:
Quote:
(short story: 79 had been overheating. bought new waterpump - bike already had a new pump "in situ." checked thermo and that was fine. looked at radiator - that appears fine (have extra in case))

I will end up putting it all back together this week and hopefully have it fired up by the coming weekend, but I do not have high hopes to have resolved the overheating issue, since I will have done very little to change my existing situation.

any more ideas before I bolt it all up?
I don't have any good ideas, just long shots. How about the ignition timing and carburation, sometimes overheating isn't caused by the cooling system. Do the plugs look okay? Has the fan been coming on when the bike gets hot? Is the coolant a 50/50 mix and not water heavy?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

the fan was *not* coming on, so I wired it to the ACC and it was on all the time. The carburetion I thought was ok, but I will have to check the plugs again. It did pop a few times when I started it up this winter after having sat for a few months.

Yes, it's fairly presumptive of me to be posting this now, since I have not got the bike put back together just yet but I thought I could start on some new lead if anyone has any.

1979 1000 nekkid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 11:31 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

sanfelice wrote:
Quote:
the fan was *not* coming on, so I wired it to the ACC and it was on all the time. The carburetion I thought was ok, but I will have to check the plugs again. It did pop a few times when I started it up this winter after having sat for a few months.

Yes, it's fairly presumptive of me to be posting this now, since I have not got the bike put back together just yet but I thought I could start on some new lead if anyone has any.
Nope it's not presumptive, good idea if someone can help out with some ideas before you button up. Sorry I can't. It is irritating, you know it's just got to be something pretty simple.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 12:31 AM

Post imported post

Could air possibly be trapped in the system somewhere? Are you sure the pump is actually moving the water? Could still be a bad pump.

Bob

83 GL1100 Aspencade
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 02:03 AM
Other side of the pond

Model: GL1800, GL1500SE, GL1200A
Post imported post

If all is as you say and the electric fan is working, check the top radiator hose when the engine warms up. If the hose is too hard and you can't squeeze it easily, then a head gasket may be failing.

Ted Kelly.
Current Wings; 2006 GL1800 & 1997 GL1500se.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hmm. Thanks for the tip. I don't relish the idea of doing this job again, but I'll know how to do it next time

1979 1000 nekkid
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

AZWinger wrote:
Quote:
Could air possibly be trapped in the system somewhere? Are you sure the pump is actually moving the water? Could still be a bad pump.

Bob

I am not sure that the pump is moving the water, but it is a new pump - and if it's still attached to the drive, how could it not move water? It is not loose nor is is "wonky" from side to side, so I simply assumed it was doing its job.

Would like to hear if there was a way to test this outside of the bike.

1979 1000 nekkid
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 04:41 PM

Post imported post

in cars you can often see whether there is flow looking at the open radiator you should be able to "feel" tem,perature changes on the radiator when the thermostat opens.

I agree, if the pump turns it works. you could use the old srewdriver handle on the ear and tip to the water pump housing to "hear" if it turns while you run the engine, if not the problem is in the shaft that connects with the water pump...

is it possible you have a plugged up line somewhere in the engine from some debrie that got into the coolant side
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 05:10 PM

Post imported post

Not to tell you what to do, but if I had it tore down that much I'd put a hose on the input side of the pump, put it in a pan of water, start the bike and see if it pumped the pan dry. Turn the bike off after that. Oh, you have to prime the pump and hose (ensure they are full of water). The pump is not a self prime pump, so as some one else said - an air embolism will kill the pump - filled with air it won't pump. While at it hook the house water hose to the radiator and motor - force water through them to ensure they are flowing. If none of this helps, trade it for an '05 GL1800, I did - Good luck.

Mad Jack
2005 Blue GL1800A CSC Trike
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page