Hypothetical Question - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to philcsand Send a message via Yahoo to philcsand
Post imported post

Here is a purely hypothetical question.

When I am sitting in the parking lot called "I-5" in the middle of Seattle, cursing the designers of the Washington state convention center. (Building straddles I-5 right in the middle of Seattle, and chokes the MAIN arterial down to 2 lanes...) I often watch my thermometer rise up and up and up, until my fan kicks on.

Anyhow, here is the question I had. When stuck in traffic, or for extended periods of idling, would it be better to keep the engine speed as low as possible, thereby reducing combustion strokes and thermal output of the engine, OR would it be better to race the engine a bit (1.5 to 2k RPM) thereby increasing the speed at which the water pump circulates the coolant through the radiator with the fan blowing on it?

I suspect I know the answer, but I figured I'd pose this to you guys, and give you something to think about.

My Toys:
1984 GL1200 - Nothing\'s broken... HOLY CRAP!
1980 KZ750-4 - Sold
1989 Catalina 22 -Sold
2007 Crappy Chinese made 50cc scooter - More fun than it should be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 10:26 PM

Post imported post

My fan comes on at nearly every stop light I hit. SinceI happened to have my DMM hooked up on the way home today, I know for a fact that my voltage drops to battery level when idling. Especially when hot and the fan comes on. I'm going to set my throttle lock at about 1500RPM when sitting at a light to keep the water moving AND keep a little charge going into the battery!

Bob

83 GL1100 Aspencade
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 12:36 AM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

philcsand wrote:
Quote:

When I am sitting in the parking lot called "I-5" in the middle of Seattle, cursing the designers of the Washington state convention center. (Building straddles I-5 right in the middle of Seattle, and chokes the MAIN arterial down to 2 lanes...) I often watch my thermometer rise up and up and up, until my fan kicks on.

Anyhow, here is the question I had. When stuck in traffic, or for extended periods of idling, would it be better to keep the engine speed as low as possible, thereby reducing combustion strokes and thermal output of the engine, OR would it be better to race the engine a bit (1.5 to 2k RPM) thereby increasing the speed at which the water pump circulates the coolant through the radiator with the fan blowing on it?

I suspect I know the answer, but I figured I'd pose this to you guys, and give you something to think about.
Increased water circulation isn't going to help all that much. Pumping the water faster just pushes it through the radiator faster so it cuts the time available to transfer it's heat to the ambient and you will generate more heat if you burn more gasoline. On the other hand, when the fan is running you may need to kick up the idle to keep the battery up.

My guess in this situation would be to idle at the minimum speed that kept the battery voltage up just to the point where the battery isn't discharging. That way you can run the fan indefinitely without discharging the battery but burning the minimum amount of fuel to reduce heating. Right or wrong that's the strategy I'd use.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 01:49 AM
Other side of the pond

Model: GL1800, GL1500SE, GL1200A
Post imported post

Keepint the revs up won't circulate the coolant through the rad faster, it will only circulate it faster within the engine (probably heat it up faster) until the thermostat opens and then it will circulate into the rad for cooling. Can't see you gaining anything from this. I'd say that fitting a seperate switch to the rad fan will work better as you can turn the fan on yourself in those tricky situations.

Ted Kelly.
Current Wings; 2006 GL1800 & 1997 GL1500se.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 12:25 PM
Postpubescent member

Post imported post

englishted wrote:
Quote:
Keepint the revs up won't circulate the coolant through the rad faster, it will only circulate it faster within the engine (probably heat it up faster) until the thermostat opens and then it will circulate into the rad for cooling. Can't see you gaining anything from this. I'd say that fitting a seperate switch to the rad fan will work better as you can turn the fan on yourself in those tricky situations.
I can't see any advantage installing a fan switch, it will come on automatically when the heat rises to a point that it's needed. The thermostat will already be open in the conditions Phil is describing so the coolant will be flowing through the system.

Damn, I love the Mercer Mess! The I-5 choke really helps us bus drivers who are paid by the hour!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 02:26 AM

Post imported post

I would have thought that an extra switch would keep the coolant in the radiator cooler, but you battery will probably struggle to keep up. I wonder if you can get a cooler thermostat for the bike instead? You can get them for cars, so why not bikes?

Brian Rowan
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 06:00 AM

Post imported post

Cooler thermostats are available for the wings, but why would you want the engine to run cooler? Engines require the specified OEM temperature settings to burn off oil contaminants. I've alwaysset the engine idle where the book states it should be. GL1200's idle at 1,000 +- 100rpm. Never had a problem even when riding in Fort Myers Florida in July. As long as the cooling fan is cycling on and off, the engine should be fine.

Also, if a manual cooling fan switch is installed, it will run the battery down over time because you would tend to run the fan longer than the sending unit is calibrated for. Honda figured this in so the cycling would tend not to drain the battery at idle...

Just my 2 cents...

Old Nam Vet
LZ English 66 - 67
New \'08 Titanium Nav
I\'m old and wise, but was once young and stupid.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 10:13 AM
Postpubescent member

Post imported post

Renegade wrote:
Quote:
Cooler thermostats are available for the wings, but why would you want the engine to run cooler? Engines require the specified OEM temperature settings to burn off oil contaminants. I've alwaysset the engine idle where the book states it should be. GL1200's idle at 1,000 +- 100rpm. Never had a problem even when riding in Fort Myers Florida in July. As long as the cooling fan is cycling on and off, the engine should be fine.

Also, if a manual cooling fan switch is installed, it will run the battery down over time because you would tend to run the fan longer than the sending unit is calibrated for. Honda figured this in so the cycling would tend not to drain the battery at idle...
Not to mention you'd be replacing fans, those little brushes wear out faster than the ones in the alternator do and I don't think they are replaceable! The point is that most of these bikes have performed fine over the years, if they aren't now the best response is to find out what when wrong and fix it, not try to modify it to cure a symptom.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 08:12 AM

Year: 1984
Make: Honda Goldwing
Model: GL1200 Interstate
Post imported post

philcsand wrote:
Quote:

I guess since it is a hypothetical question , then any unsupported or illsupported theory would suffice. Like covering the engine with dry ice....

Riding Motorcycles For over 59 Years

Thank you Lord for all my blessings.

Life is simpler when you plow around the stump:

84 Interstate Candy Wineberry Red-U, R114CU

with Ventu Craft Trailer
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 08:17 AM

Post imported post

dean_3326 wrote:
Quote:
philcsand wrote:
Quote:

I guess since it is a hypothetical question , then any unsupported or illsupported theory would suffice. Like covering the engine with dry ice....

Hey dean_3326 I guess your right.

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page