installing a 10 disc cd changer - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I am thinking of installing a 10 disc cd changer in one of the side bag on my 85 aspen. it is one that hooks in through the antenna and you tune in to a certain FM station. it is designed for automotive use. I don't know if the vibration would affect it or not. has anyone installed one? and does it work ok? and ideas?

Steve/ hdtp57
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 12:37 AM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

What vibration, this is a Goldwing!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 12:44 AM
Passed On, R.I.P.

Post imported post

Hi hdtp57,

my 10 disc player sits inone of the panniers with some foam under it, other than major pot holes it is fine.

welsh winger

1982 1100DC 38,000 miles

------------------------------------
Nick Duffy (Welsh Winger) is no longer with us. He passed away in mid-September 2012, joining his wife Julie in Paradise.
------------------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 02:45 AM

Post imported post

I've had a 10 disc player bolted directly to the inside of the right hand pannier of my wing for 6 years now, with absolutely no problems.

1996 GL1500 (Sold)
2000 Honda ST1100
2004 Transalp
1980 RD350LC (in boxes)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 03:02 AM

Model: GL1800
Send a message via Skype™ to wingnut
Post imported post

Steve,
I had the same Sony 10 disc unit in the right saddlebag of my GL1100 and all three GL1500's, over a seven or eight year period. No problems, only major potholes would make the thing skip. I made up a quick release bracket so that I could unplug and remove the changer if I needed the extra space in the saddlebag.

Steve Saunders,
Founder Member & Admin.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 06:24 AM

Year: 1985
Make: Honda
Model: 85 Aspencade
Post imported post

Unless you have already purchased the cd changer why not go for an mp3 player hooked up in the same manner.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 06:27 PM

Post imported post

I have been listening to a Sony Xplod 10 disc changer for a few years by now and (believe it or not) it hasn't skipped even once. I deliberately got the model that plays mp3-encoded cds (as well as standard cds) because of the large solid-state buffer that's part of that model. The large buffer loads ahead of playing, so you're almost never hearing the signal as it's coming off the disk, always from the buffer which can't skip. There's the bonus possibility of making CDs with about 10 CD contents, if you wan to cary around a lifetime's worth of music, but I almost never do that . . .

I replaced a Pioneer 6 disc unit because it skipped way too often and took all the pleasure out of listening to music for me. The Pioneer operates without skipping in my wife's Miata (not a particularly smooth car), so the Goldwing must have been a harsh environment.

I have the Sony rigidly mounted horizontally in the trunk rather than a sidebag. It's a great unit.

Jack

We are like stripes in a tube of toothpaste.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 06:37 AM
Senior Guru

Model: GL1800, GL1500, GL1200
Post imported post

Jack Joyce wrote:
Quote:
I have been listening to a Sony Xplod 10 disc changer for a few years by now and (believe it or not) it hasn't skipped even once. I deliberately got the model that plays mp3-encoded cds (as well as standard cds) because of the large solid-state buffer that's part of that model. The large buffer loads ahead of playing, so you're almost never hearing the signal as it's coming off the disk, always from the buffer which can't skip. There's the bonus possibility of making CDs with about 10 CD contents, if you wan to cary around a lifetime's worth of music, but I almost never do that . . .

I replaced a Pioneer 6 disc unit because it skipped way too often and took all the pleasure out of listening to music for me. The Pioneer operates without skipping in my wife's Miata (not a particularly smooth car), so the Goldwing must have been a harsh environment.

I have the Sony rigidly mounted horizontally in the trunk rather than a sidebag. It's a great unit.

Jack
Motorcycles suspension is always set up harder than a car so that the bike won't wallow all the time, that's just a fact of life even on a touring machine. Most CD players/changers are just not designed to be used on motorcycles so it's great when someone finds a unit that does work. The Sony Xplod obviously works better than the Honda unit in terms of not skipping.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 07:56 AM

Post imported post

I'm convinced it's the read-ahead buffer that permits it to work so well. I just can't imagine a CD player (or hard drive based player, for that matter) NOT skipping in that environment.

I think that a larger buffer is a feature associated with the capability to read mp3s from disks, and it's possible that other manufacurers' unit will perform as well, as long as they offer the same feature. My only good experience has been with the Sony, though.

Jack

We are like stripes in a tube of toothpaste.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page