Turn Signal woes on an '86 Aspencade - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I am a rookie Goldwing owner, just purchased a very nice 1986 GL1200 Aspencade with 55,000 miles. It runs very smooth but there is a problem with the turn signals.

When you press the button for the hazard lights, all lights come on and flash. But when you turn on the turn signal left or right nothing happens. Could this be caused by the turn signal cancel unit or should I be looking for something else?

My big problem is that I don't know where to begin looking for the components so that I can test them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for this site.

Tom in Kentucky

Tom in Kentucky
1986 GL1200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 10:40 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet tsandlin!

Could be the handlebar switch, give it a shot of contact cleaner/lube or WD40 and work it a bit to see if that does any good. I don't have a 1200 schematic since I got my 1500, but there are plenty here that do and will respond soon. I don't even remember if there are one or two flasher units. While waiting for someone who knows what they are talking about, it wouldn't hurt to take a look at all the fuses.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 07:14 AM
Best looking member

Year: 1997
Make: Honda, is there any other?
Model: 1997 SE. Pearl Green
Post imported post

On my 85 if I remember correctly, it had two flasher units. the one for turn signals are mounted under the fake tank at the top to the right of the vac advance module, it is round and covered in rubber( sounds like my last girlfriend) Hope this helps.

Pearl Green(The Intelligent colour)

No question A.T.G.A.T.T. (Even when it's stinking hot!!)
And if it's too stinking hot to gear up, it's too stinking hot to ride.

If your not man enough to take the lead, stop complaining from behind.

I SURVIVED NASSIR 9.... barely.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To all of the troops and Vets. Thank you. I will never forget.

A proud Wild Rhino(Ontario) since 18 Jul 2013 (That mating sound thing really works!!)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I did check the fuses and they were alright. I also had another switch assembly that the previous owner had picked up somewhere. But when I plugged it in the results where the same. When I have time to check it out more thoroughly I will check the switches with my multimeter.

I will also check the flasher unit, I do know that it has 2, besides the one for the signal where is the other one located? I assume that they are the same type so I could swap them around to see if thatfixes the problem.

Thanks for the help

Tom in Kentucky
1986 GL1200
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 08:44 AM
Older and Wiser

Model: GL1500 Aspencade
Post imported post

I think they are the same. We had this before on the forum but I don't have the time to search for the topic now.

Ben.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 10:38 AM

Post imported post

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 09:07 AM
The Irish Crew

Model: GL1100 Interstate
Post imported post

Mr.1200 wrote:
Quote:
tsandlin The 4 way flasher should be next to the turn signal flasher,and yes they are the same,and can be swapper for testing...

The turn signal switches all have different part numbers from84-87...The key is to match up the colored end pin connectors....But seeing the PO had given you an extra one with the bike,you already have a test switch,But the question is,How do you know if it is a good switch??

If you have a buddy with a 86,you can reach in the left side of the left pocket andfaux tank,and plug your (spare) switch in to your buddy's bike and see if it works?? You won't have to remove everything just for checking out the switch,at least,then you'd knowif you spare (or stock if removed?) switch is good or not?
Good thinking Rocky.

Alan Fitzpatrick.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I am back to flashing again. I tested the turn signal switch with an ohm meter according to the pin out on the schematic in the service manual. It tested good. Then I began the search for the turn signal flasher and the hazard flasher. Those little devils were very hard to find. Down deep under the front part on the right sideFake Tank. They were similar in style but of course the hazard flasherwas ratedfor ahigher load. Theturn signal flasher was a Mitsuba FR-3303 which is a 3 wire flasher,housed in asmall rectangluar black box. Which fooled me I was looking for a round silver flasher. But once I located those I switched the two flashers and had the same results. So then I began more testing and determined that the TurnSignal Canceling Unit was not allowing my turn signal flasherto get the operatingcurrent that it required. And because of the fact that I want to ride now. So I decided that would make a good winter project because to find the canceling unit I will probably have to take the Fake tank completely off. So just like all the great TV heroes.... I cut the blue wire. And attached it to the ground screw on the fuse block. Which in essence by-passed the turn signal canceling unit. So now if thehurricane dennis rain will stop I can go for a ride without worrying about whether that car on my rear understands hand signals. Thanks guys for all the help.This is a great forum.

Tom in Kentucky
1986 GL1200
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 08:17 AM

Post imported post

another culprit you might search out this winter is the canceling unit in the steering stem. the wires exit out the top and it may be somthing as simple as a bad connection
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 10:46 AM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

tsandlin wrote:
Quote:
I am back to flashing again.
You want to be careful with that flashing business, some neighborhoods really don't like it. Perhaps starting out with a bit of mooning might be less controversial.

The signal cancelling unit is mounted under the triple three, the wire runs up through the center of the tree. There are two screws that hold it on under neath. To remove it the lower splash shield needs to come off, the two screws in the canceller come out, the upper rubber thingy pops off and slides up the wire to get some slack.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page