Had your wing quit after washing?? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I need some help here!! My 1986 GL1200 started quitting unexpectedly last fall. Got after it this year. The Honda shop mechanic thought it was the CDI. Replaced that, and the bike did run better than ever. I put about 50 miles on it, and it ran great. So, yesterday I washed it and started over to pick up my Lady. Got 2 miles, it quit. Lights still on, CD still playing, just quit. Waited 5 minutes, it started up, ran all the way back home. Today, after letting it sit out in the sun for 6-7 hours, I drove it 15 miles, no problems.

I am reluctant to start a trip 'til I know for sure just what the heck is going on. Any one out thereexperienced anything similar????

JP

JP
And remember always;
That he who stays within a desert
when he yearns for the ocean
grows gradually deeper in frustrations and regret,
and in the end, perishes~~
having hardly lived at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 04:05 PM

Post imported post

the first two places I would look are the infamous three yellow wires from the alternator, and the four wires at the starter relay (which everyone calls a selenoid). this are notorious for bad connects and any water would make it all worse... there have been lots of threads about how to fix this

of course there was the time I pressure washed my '78 and the starter relay stuck ON.... fortunately it was still under warrentee and I took the relay to the dealer and sshrugged my shoulders about how it went bad...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 08:59 PM

Send a message via MSN to Ken Tripp
Post imported post

Maybe check the plug drain holes. Maybe their full of water and shorting out the plugs.

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks to both of you. I will check each area. This winghas been quitting for quite a while. Just this time I put it together that I often wash it before going on an extended trip. JP

JP
And remember always;
That he who stays within a desert
when he yearns for the ocean
grows gradually deeper in frustrations and regret,
and in the end, perishes~~
having hardly lived at all.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 12:21 PM

Post imported post

hi jp,i washed my 84 aspy and found this happened but not as bad as yours,mine just started missing intermittently ,i used the flash dash silicon spray for my car interior ,spray plenty on but dont have it running or you and the bike will EXPLODEall the best ,bri,uk.

LEAVE WELL ALONE!!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 12:41 PM

Post imported post

Can't be down to the stator, if the bike started up a while later. Obviously the batter was charged enough to restart it. The point about wet plugs is a good one. It's a good idea to dispel any water/ moisture with WD40 or similar after washing. I usually run my engine for a while before washing so the water will dry off faster. Might even be a good idea to leave it running while washing.

Martin Egan.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 12:38 PM

Post imported post

Hi JP, becareful of spraying WD40 around a running engine. I had a CB500 go on fire once when a faulty plug cap sparked the WD40. Lucky I had a big sheet handy and caught it before any damage was done, and of course I knew my running problem was a faulty cap!

Willy
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 05:35 AM

Post imported post

Iit looks to be a good idea like the rest of them are telling you to spray something that displaces the water on your connectors, CRC makes a electronics cleaner, I would go the auto parts store and ask them for some electronics cleaner and the type of grease for electrical connectors to apply after you clean them, that way you could possibly remove that aspect out of your problem. I don't think I would wash it while running, your exhuast wouldn't fair too well, plus it's kind of hard to wash hot pipes!

Tim
"Riding For The Son"
94 GL1500 Aspencade!
"Ride it if it\'s got two wheels and an engine"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page