GL 1000 k2 type Oil in air box, Loads of oil in the air boxs! - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I thought that both the heads had blown on my 1977 triked GL1000 K2 type.

When I looked at the water it had a gray oil grunge floating on the top,the radiator, expanssion tank; however when I drained thewater it looked really clean with the anti-freeze been the only evident chemical mixed with it!

When I drained the oil it also looked clean and free of water! I carried on stripping the engine down, first the radiator, radiator fan and the i started on the carbs as soon as I opened and removed the Air filter, I saw that the whole of the air box was full of il the carb were swimming with oil!

Has any off you any ideas on what could have caused it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Old School Guru

Year: 2007
Make: Goldwing
Model: GL1800 CSC Trike with Navi
Garage
Post imported post

Sounds like you have some blowby due to weak rings if you are getting oil in the airbox. Might be time for a rebuild.

Gene

Gene Lester
Present Bikes: 2007 GL1800 CSC Trike with Navi
Loud pipes don't save lives, they just annoy everyone.
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The "United States of America", for an amount of up to and including their life. (Author unknown)

Proud member of the World Famous Wild Rhinos
Arkansas Chapter
Darksider #265
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thats what I wern't wanting to hear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 05:16 PM
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag
Post imported post

What's the bike's mileage? Also, are the breather hoses connected to the airfilter box, especially the crankcase breather hose? Perhaps you have excessive oil spewing from the crankcase and collecting in the box? Otherwise, it has to be leaking past the rings from the engine side and getting in the carbs. On my bike, the crankcase breather hose got blocked and actually backed oil up through the fuel pump weep hole, it was spewing out. Those vapour have to vent somewhere.

Mike
1985 BMW K100RT..wheeee
78 GL1000, naked, restored, on to a happy new home Dec 05
Vancouver
--
previously: 76 GL1000, 82 GL1100
73 BMW R60/5; \'80s Suzuki GS400/GS750/GS850T; \'87 BMW K100RS; \'73 Kawasaki Z1
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 09:30 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

RebuiltYorkie wrote:
Quote:

When I looked at the water it had a gray oil grunge floating on the top,the radiator, expanssion tank; however when I drained thewater it looked really clean with the anti-freeze been the only evident chemical mixed with it!

When I drained the oil it also looked clean and free of water! I carried on stripping the engine down, first the radiator, radiator fan and the i started on the carbs as soon as I opened and removed the Air filter, I saw that the whole of the air box was full of il the carb were swimming with oil!

I think it's more likely related to either a head gasket leak or a shot water pump that's allowing the water and oil to mix. A leaking head gasket could pressurize the crankcase enough to force oil out the breather, ditto a leaking head gasket. I doubt it's rings, a quick compression check should ease your mind about that.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 10:29 PM

Post imported post

Was the oil thick like crancase oil or watery.

It is possible that the airbox drain tube isn't functioning and that you have an oily water mixture in the airbox. Locate the drain tube and make sure it works.

As far as oil in the water, if it returns, it's definately a sign of another mechanical issue as has been mentioned.

Tony
89 GL1500
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

mag wrote:
Quote:
What's the bike's mileage? Also, are the breather hoses connected to the airfilter box, especially the crankcase breather hose? Perhaps you have excessive oil spewing from the crankcase and collecting in the box? Otherwise, it has to be leaking past the rings from the engine side and getting in the carbs. On my bike, the crankcase breather hose got blocked and actually backed oil up through the fuel pump weep hole, it was spewing out. Those vapour have to vent somewhere.
Engine mileage s 56000. The breather hose is conected to the back of the air box.

I don't think it's getting past the rings! Because when I pulled the hose and let it hang free loads of oil ran out of it. When I lifted the carbs, all for inlet valve chambers were free of oil!

Thanks for getting back to me

Rebuilt
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Tonys96 wrote:
Quote:

It is possible that the airbox drain tube isn't functioning and that you have an oily water mixture in the airbox. Locate the drain tube and make sure it works.

As far as oil in the water, if it returns, it's definately a sign of another mechanical issue as has been mentioned.
Oil was a dark rich colour and seemed to have plenty of body (not watery or burnt out)

There was no water/oil mix in the air box!

There as been oil showing in the top of the water expanssion tank for a while;I've actually bought a new water pump and a full set of water pump seals; which I was going to fit when replacing the head gaskets!

Thaks for getting back to me!

Rebuilt
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Tonys96 wrote:
Quote:

So! do you all think that I should press ahaed with the cylinder heads gasket change?

I tried to crank the engine yesterday, just to see if any oil was gonna spout from the breather, or spark plug holes. She wouldn't turn? I just got a clicking noise for the selonide; so attached jump leads from the cars battery and got just the same again click-click and nothing else?

Could this oil build up affect the starter region of my engine? I'm going to check for continuity today (battery to starter)

Thanks again everyone for your advice

Rebuilt
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 05:40 AM

Post imported post

RebuiltYorkie wrote:
Quote:

RebuiltYorkie, it sounds like you have two different possible problems there.

A slight oil residue on top of the coolant in the overflow bottle is usually caused by a slightly leaking (seeping) cylinder head gasket, or possibly a water pump oil seal seeping as the engine cools off & the pressure in the cooling system goes negative. It could alsohave beencaused by using a filling container that had oil residue in itwhen filling the radiator..-- Try flushing the radiator & over-flow tank then re-filling with fresh (clean) coolant, then watching it for a while to see if the oily residue on top of the coolant comes back.

On the oil in the air cleaner box? That most likely came from the crankcase breather hose. It could indicate an engine problem like piston ring leakage or more than likely an over-filled oil level or diluted engine oil. Oil in the air cleaner can also come through the vent line if the engine is operated at very high RPM's under a high load for a while.

Try removing the crankcase vent line from the air cleaner then plugging the air cleaner box hole off.. Then take a small plastic bottle with a screw on cap & drill a series of holes in the cap (to allow the bottle to vent through the cap),, Then drill a larger hole in the center of the cap to allow the vent hose tobe inserted intothe bottle.. Tie strap that plastic bottle to the bike some place then just keep an eye on the bottle as you ride the bike. If you keep getting a bottle full of oil you have a problem like overfilling the engine or internal engine problems. You might try going to a different type of engine oil or even trying 20W50 oil to see if that helps. DON'T over-fill the crankcase & check the accuracy of your oil dip stick against a new (proper) fill of oil.

Twisty

Only a motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the window!
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page