Backfire - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

It backfires thru the exhaust

Life was a rock until my goldwing sold me. Gotta go riding so my inner biker told me. At the end of my rainbow lies my golden oldie.
Some people see things as they are and ask why. I dream of things that never were and ask why not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 10:01 AM

Post imported post

bwssr wrote:
Quote:
It backfires thru the exhaust
bwssr, those old Wings use a lost spark type ignition so fire the spark plugs on both compression & exhaust.. Any fuel remaining in the exhaust system or cylinder will fire off on the first spark if air is present. You might try starting it without opening the throttle as that should lessen the air present during starting.

You could also have a slightly leaking carb & allowing fuel to drip into one cylinder.. It can also pull fuel/air into a cylinder & exhaust system from a carb on any cylinder that stops with both the intake & exhaust valve open, the hot exhaust can use convection to keep drawing through the cylinder & carb.

Things to try--

Try turning the kill switch off, then start cranking the engine, once it is cranking flip the kill switch on.

Try different choke settings to see if a different setting will kill that pop.

Try starting with less or more throttle opening.

Try either using or not using the center stand when parked hot.

Verify all exhaust joints are sealed & there are no holes in the exhaust system anywhere.

Try a different type/grade of gasoline as maybe you are getting a hot soak boiling of the fuel in the carbs.

Twisty

Only a motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the window!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 10:31 AM
Senior Guru

Post imported post

bwssr, does your wing backfire when decelerating from highway speeds?

Also was the backfiring there before you changed the timing belts?

It's not easy to diagnose a problem like this online but if you work with us there is enough knowledge and experience here to get your problem solved if you can bear with us.

Vic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A place for GL1200\'s to gather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 11:44 AM
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag
Post imported post

You should not be on the throttle at all when starting. Hit the starter, when the bike starts to 'catch,' then open the throttle (instructions from my mechanic). You might be flooding it a little on startup, leading to unburnt fuel=backfire. Any old gas/moisture in the tank could be the culprit too. If the bike backfires on decceleration, it's probably the air-cut valve(s) on the carb(s).

Mike
1985 BMW K100RT..wheeee
78 GL1000, naked, restored, on to a happy new home Dec 05
Vancouver
--
previously: 76 GL1000, 82 GL1100
73 BMW R60/5; \'80s Suzuki GS400/GS750/GS850T; \'87 BMW K100RS; \'73 Kawasaki Z1
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I only get the backfire from the cycle when I start while the engine is warm or hot and I give it gas to get it to start. I also noticed that after I get done riding there is a gas smell. Also there is a rapping noise from the area under passenger pegsusually when I am going uphills and when it's hot. Now I am noticing that my starrter stalls when I go to start the bike hot or cold.

Life was a rock until my goldwing sold me. Gotta go riding so my inner biker told me. At the end of my rainbow lies my golden oldie.
Some people see things as they are and ask why. I dream of things that never were and ask why not.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 07:23 PM

Post imported post

Send a PM to "Jason" he's pretty keen on troubleshooting?!

Against the Wind !
"Patriot Guard Rider"/Nevada
GL 1100
Valkyrie "Fat Lady"
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Now I could not start the bike at all with the starter. It was like it didn't have enough umph so I push started it on a flat parking lot. Fun aye!

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 10:50 AM
Senior Guru

Post imported post

I'm beginning to wonder if your charging system is dying causing a weak spark and slow or no starting. Check the alternator output to be sure.

Have the battery checked by a professional, if good remove the starter and inspect the brushes, ground and lubrication.

Vic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A place for GL1200\'s to gather.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

OK maybe I jumped the gun. I took the battery out added acid to it and cleaned all the connections. PUt it back in and tightened all the conntections hit the startet and it started no problem. Also I put in a ec wiring harness a while back. The former owner had replaced the stator and it starting to melt the plug which prompted me to get the harness.

For the backfire I think I amy need to sync the carbs and I may also have an exhaust leak on the left side which is where it seems that the noise comes from.

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 01:08 PM

Model: '85 GL1200 Aspy
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverDave
Post imported post

¬* Re your "leak" .............................You can tighten up the exhaust stud nuts¬* with¬* a small box wrench ... They should be "Torqued "¬* to 12 ft lbs, or whatever it is [img]/forums/images/emoticons/cool.gif[/img].. but you cannot easily get a socket on a torque wrench¬* ¬*in there, without¬* removing the fairing and crash bars ... UGH !¬* [img]/forums/images/emoticons/mad.gif[/img]¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*I use a small¬* 4 inch flat box wrench.. and tighten them "Thumb Tight "¬* which is about as much as I can easily apply with¬* just a single digit.. not even two ... there is a crush gasket in there , which you are tightening the headers to ..... I have cured several "Exhaust leaks "¬* by this simple gentle¬* tightening .......¬* a slightly rich carb, and a leaky exhaust will¬* indeed cause a backfiring ......¬* ¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* Re Balancing :¬* a good mech has the¬* manometers to cleanly balance your carbs.. and around here, I have had that job done for less than $50¬*¬*SilverDave¬*[img]/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif[/img]

1985 Aspy Pinstriped Powder Blue & Matching blue Trailer.
"Mathematics is the Music of the Mind"

Gray-haired bikers don't get that way from pure luck.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page