Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   Backfire (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/264470-backfire.html)

bwssr 08-09-2005 07:01 PM

imported post

Hi All

I have an 86 goldwing. When I go to start it I usually have to give it a little gas to get it going andthen it backfires. It happensabout 80% of the time. I have changed my timing belts and checked the timing. What else should I check?

Goldwinger1984 08-09-2005 07:38 PM

imported post

You'll need to check just about everything related to ignition and carburation unless you can give more detail on the bike.

Most likely the accelerator pump is causing the problem.

Does it still backfire when the choke is on full?

Vic

Goldwinger1984 08-09-2005 07:41 PM

imported post

BTW, welcome to the site. Redwing should be along soon for the official welcome, but, watch out because his dog Shep drools or is it Redwing that drools. Darn, now I forget what I was told about the drooling.:D

wingdawg101 08-09-2005 08:25 PM

imported post

bwssr,

Welcome to the "WGGWWS"!

You shouldn't have to goose the throttle if the choke is working right!

This time of year in Wis. you shouldn't need but 1/4 choke or none at all!

Check your plugs to see if one is a different color than the others? Maybe one cylinder is loading up?

On the simple side make sure you air-filter isn't clogged up? Vacuum leaks,etc?

bwssr 08-09-2005 09:30 PM

imported post

No Choke it is warmed up already when it backfires. When I start with the choke (cold start)closed I don't need to give it gas.

twisty 08-10-2005 05:32 AM

imported post

bwssr wrote:
Quote:

Hi All

I have an 86 goldwing. When I go to start it I usually have to give it a little gas to get it going andthen it backfires. It happensabout 80% of the time. I have changed my timing belts and checked the timing. What else should I check?
Bwssr, try a little enrichener (choke) maybe about 1/2 or 1/4. If it's backfiring througha carb (probably L/H side) that means lean. Choking it a little shouldn't hurt the starting as once you open the throttle to start it (as you said above) the choke doesn't do much with an open throttle but will help the backfire as the throttle is closed then opened again.

If it's backfiring through the exhaust then that is a different problem so let us know if it is an exhaust backfire?

There isn't an accelerator pump or pumps in those 1200 carbs so sometimes they need a little choke even when warm.

Twisty

Goldwinger1984 08-10-2005 06:40 AM

imported post

Twisty, please check your notes again. 84-85's did not have accelerator pumps in the carbs but later years of the 1200did have an accelerator pump. If you can find verification otherwise please let me know where you found the info.

Also, for the record, 84-85's had 32mm carbs and 86-87's had 30mm carbs.

Vic

twisty 08-10-2005 07:23 AM

imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
Quote:

Twisty, please check your notes again. 84-85's did not have accelerator pumps in the carbs but later years of the 1200did have an accelerator pump. If you can find verification otherwise please let me know where you found the info.

Also, for the record, 84-85's had 32mm carbs and 86-87's had 30mm carbs.

Vic

Vic, I am riding a 1986 1200 Wing right now with original carbs & no accelerator pump or pumps. I also don't show any accelerator pump or pumps in my service manuals (Honda & Clymer) & don't show any pumps in either my parts fishe or parts books.

I wish my 86 1200 had accel pumps as that would allow me to lean out the off-idle some more & pick up better fuel economy.

Where did you find the info on the 1200 having pumps? I haven't ever worked on a late 1200 California emission Wing so maybe something there but my books sure don't show it.

Twisty

Goldwinger1984 08-10-2005 07:35 AM

imported post

It's good to keep the tech info precise on this site. If you look at Gold Wing history on this site you'll find reference to the accelerator pump, but, I will also check my manuals. With so many different models it leaves the door open to confusion.

Vic

oldschoolgoldwing 08-10-2005 09:32 AM

imported post

does it smell rich?

And you may have an exhaust leak as another possibility.

You got raw fuel which is igniting in the exhaust system. If your bike
runs fine without a miss then i would rule out ignition. It is possible
your timing is off and it is allowing partial burn to happen in the exhaust
and burn the left over HC from the other cylinders. You can have a bad valve
or valve seat on the exhaust side allowing fuel to escape. Worse case because
you need to pull the head off.