Caliper groove cleaning tool - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Read a lot of posts lately about caliper rebuilding/cleaning. Don't forget to get the groove that the square cut seal rides inPERFECTLY clean. I've found a dental pick (one of those nasty scary tools the dentist uses to clean between your teeth) perfect for cleaning the edges of the groove. You just need to talk your dentist into giving you one.

1998 GL1500SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 01:59 PM

Model: GL1800
Post imported post

That is a very good point, I've never seen a tool mentioned before, though I guess there must be something available.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 02:25 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

Bend a nail and grind the bent end to fit the groove. Use an offset screwdriver with a piece of rag. Wipe out with a rag dipped in brake cleaner.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 10:36 PM

Model: '02 1800
Send a message via Yahoo to Ruaidh
Post imported post

Check your Army/Navy Surplus stores. For whatever reason the ones around here have buckets of old dental picks. If anybody really needs one I'm sure I can send some out...

Ruaidh

To know what is right and not act accordingly is the worst cowardice. - Confucius

Words, unwritten, have no value. - Caius Merlinus Brittanicus

Yellow '02 1800
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 12:43 AM

Post imported post

Snap On tools sells a set of picks that work great for that and also pulling stuck O rings.http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....mp;dir=catalog

87 GL1200 Interstate(reborn
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 06:43 AM

Post imported post

Gambler wrote:
Quote:
Snap On tools sells a set of picks that work great for that and also pulling stuck O rings.http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....mp;dir=catalog

I have the same set from MAC tools

KOOTS
86 1200 Aspy
82 750 SC Night Hawk
Green Grass and High Tides

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 07:00 AM

Post imported post

You want to be VERY CAREFUL if using any sharp tools to clean that brake caliper piston groove. Any nicks or sharp scratches will cause future "O" ring leakage & "O" ring degradation, that groove is the sealing surface of the "O" ring to the piston.

Twisty

Only a motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the window!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 08:42 AM

Post imported post

I used a brass wire wheel for my Dremel. I used a variable speed device and slowed the tool way down. It worked like a champ, no scoring and very speedy to use.

Hobie

Mark
Wineberry 1983 Interstate
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 12:31 PM

Model: '85 GL1200 Aspy
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverDave
Post imported post

┬*[img]/forums/images/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]Many┬* auto┬* accessory shops (Like Princess Auto, around here┬* ) often carry┬* the dental picks, the little mirrors on sticks, and the little magnets┬* on sticks... very useful[img]/forums/images/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]... but .... I agree with Twisty , esp on aluminum parts.. I found that a long┬* sliver┬* cut from the edge of┬* an┬* (expired[img]/forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif[/img] )credit card to be an ideal┬* cleaning┬* tool, sometimes with a paper cloth wrapped around the tip............. as to the┬* the brass Dremel wheel(spinning around rapidly )...┬* I would prefer to use a brass "toothbrush " to prevent any scratching ..┬*SilverDave┬*[img]/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif[/img]

1985 Aspy Pinstriped Powder Blue & Matching blue Trailer.
"Mathematics is the Music of the Mind"

Gray-haired bikers don't get that way from pure luck.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 07:35 PM

Post imported post

As I stated, I used a variable speed attachment to bring the speed of the tool down to an acceptable limit. I did not observe any etching or abrasion to the groove and I've run about 5000 miles since the rebuild with no leaks around the caliper area. You can't be ham handed no matter what youuse. The calipers, as you know, are cast aluminum or something close. I just brushed the seals grooves gently with the wheel. I think that there's more of a chance of damage using a stainless steel pick that using a soft wheel.

hobie

Mark
Wineberry 1983 Interstate
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page