Windshield replacement? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Just purchased my first 'wing ('93 SE) and love it. The previous owner did something that put marks on the inside-top of the stock windshield. Polishing/cleaning does not clean it up well enough.
Question is - what are your recommendations for replacement. Stock? Some aftermarket screen? What do you use and what do you like?

Beautiful Teal \'93 SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 05:43 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

Bigdave wrote:
Quote:
Just purchased my first 'wing ('93 SE) and love it. The previous owner did something that put marks on the inside-top of the stock windshield. Polishing/cleaning does not clean it up well enough.
Question is - what are your recommendations for replacement. Stock? Some aftermarket screen? What do you use and what do you like?
Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet Bigdave!

I just got a Cee Bailey windshield for my 93. I ordered the stock size without vent since that's what I'm used to. I don't like a higher screen because I like to be able to see over the top and can't do that with a higher one. These aren't the cheapest but are very high quality.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/honda/index.html

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 07:22 AM

Post imported post

800 grit used wet will remove quite a lot of scratches,it worked for me,it will leave the screen with a sort of matt finish which can then be polished back to clarity with a 'brasso' type metal/aluminium polish a soft rag and a lot of elbow grease, try it on a small area first. Might be worth a try before purchasing a new screen.

Good luck Stiggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 12:21 PM

Model: GL1800
Post imported post

I put a Firecreek accessories adjustable windshield on my GL1500 and I like it a lot. Has a 6" adjustment range which is plenty. Easy to raise if you are going to spend an extended time in the rain.

2003 GL1800, 05 FJR1300, 1998 TL1000R, 2003 1978 KZ750
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 12:35 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

Stiggy wrote:
Quote:
800 grit used wet will remove quite a lot of scratches,it worked for me,it will leave the screen with a sort of matt finish which can then be polished back to clarity with a 'brasso' type metal/aluminium polish a soft rag and a lot of elbow grease, try it on a small area first. Might be worth a try before purchasing a new screen.

Good luck Stiggy
There is a product called 'micro mesh' that comes with a variety of increasingly fine wet sandpaper and polishes that can restore just about any acrylic, it takes a good bit of work but will bring back just about anything. I've used this stuff on aircraft after a bird strike and it worked well though it took a bit of effort. They havekits for hand and power use.

http://www.sisweb.com/micromesh/aircraft_kits.htm

On the other hand these kits run about 1/3 or so of the price of a new windshield. It's a good deal if you have other plastic than needs work too since the kit covers about 90 square feet.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 07:52 PM

Post imported post

I just got a 84 1200A and could not see through the windshield at all. I found that a $2.00 jar of Turtle wax Polishing compound took off any previous coatings or treatments the previous owner used. It took a few applications to clean it up but I am very happy with the results. I did not want to loose the windshield as the previous owner had it engraved with a large Eagle that was in excellent shape. give it a try.

Toolman

1984 1200A Champaign Beige
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 09:05 AM

Post imported post

If the scratches are more than mere marks, rubbing with fine sanpaper will also remove the outer coating from teh screen. This coating forms in the heat shaping process and is what makes the OEM screen more resistant to scratching than aftermarket ones.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page