Cee Bailey Windshield - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

Got the new Cee Bailey windshield on today, kind of a good news/bad news deal. The good news is the windshield really is good looking, crystal clear and about .050" thicker than OEM. The bad news is that it's .050" thicker. If you should buy one of these be warned that the shoulders on the center three screws that attach the windshield to the sliders will be about .050" too thin so the windshield will be too tight to slide up and down.

My solution was to turn down three .055" thick washers whose center hole was a bit too small to fit over the screw. I turned them down by stacking them up on a bolt, tightening them down with a nut, clamping the assembly in my battery drill and grinding them down on my grinder with the drill slowly turning against the direction the wheel was spinning. Oncethey get them to the same diameter as the shoulder on the windshield screw, I cut one side of the washer with a diagonal cutter and spread it open enough to slip over the windshield screw and then squeezed it back shut around the neck of the screw. This is necessary because the neck of the screw next to the shoulder is narrower than the threaded portion. With these spacers in, the windshield fits fine, slides up and down smoothly and locks in place like it should.

Just a heads upto anyone contemplating purchasing a new windshield for the 1500, if it's thicker which is nice, it might take a bit of backyard engineering to get it to fit.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 04:42 PM

Post imported post

Good info. I have one of those "slightly thicker than OEM" windshields as well, made by Slipstream, I think. I noticed that there should be about 1 1/2" of height adjustment based on the oblong holes at the base of the OEM. I will be taking a look at my new one and then will try to figure out what you said. I hope that I will be able to raise mine about an inch or better.

OOOOPS Just noticed that this is for your 1500. Still apply for my 1200???????

Thanks Hawker22

Hawker22(Ken)
Per Ardua Ad Astra
1997 GL1500SE--White Cloud
2001 GL1800----Blue Yonder
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Postpubescent member

Post imported post

It shouldn't matter on the 1200, you can adjust it an inch and a half or so but the screws hold the windshield tight anyway. You have to loosen them to shift the windshield.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 07:11 PM

Post imported post

I got it done tonight. Was able to raise it about 1 1/4 " and it looks better. No chance to try it on the highway yet. Will do it tomorrow. The mirrors are a bit of abitch.

Ken

Hawker22(Ken)
Per Ardua Ad Astra
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Postpubescent member

Post imported post

Hawker22 wrote:
Quote:
I got it done tonight. Was able to raise it about 1 1/4 " and it looks better. No chance to try it on the highway yet. Will do it tomorrow. The mirrors are a bit of abitch.

Ken
Yeah and they are about the same on the 1500, except worse!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 09:10 AM

Post imported post

Anyone have the Cee Bailey with the NACA vent? If you do how do you like it. I'm going to order one for my GL1200 and trying to decide with or without vent. Right now I'm leaning towards getting it in +4" with vent.

1997 GL1500SE
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Postpubescent member

Post imported post

The thing I don't like about the NACA vent is you can't close it if you should need or want to. If it turns out rain does come through you'd have to use duct tape. This is approved in Canada (red/green)but maybe not in the US. If you get the 4" taller one you can always cut it down if you don't like it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 07:23 PM

Post imported post

exavid wrote:
Quote:
The thing I don't like about the NACA vent is you can't close it if you should need or want to. If it turns out rain does come through you'd have to use duct tape. This is approved in Canada (red/green)but maybe not in the US. If you get the 4" taller one you can always cut it down if you don't like it.

Ah ha ha on the red/green thing. That guy is super cool(kewl).

I tested my slightly taller windshield today and it was a good improvement. I think I may even like one that is another 2" taller. I could still rise up to see over it in a pinch. Today, I leaned foward and placed my head down toward the center of the handle bars and I was amazed at how calm it was there. All I could hear was the steady purr of that ol engine. I was just trying to hear a bit of news about our coming Ophilia this weekend. Hopefully it will be just a breezy rain by the time it reaches the shores of NS. Paul, you will be pleased to learn that I ordered a chatterbox kit for my helmet-should be here next week. Then I won't have to lean foward to hear the news.

Hawker22(Ken)
Per Ardua Ad Astra
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Postpubescent member

Post imported post

You might have a problem with your speakers, on both my 1200 and 1500 I can hear the radio just fine with the front speakers at highway speeds. Never have to turn it up quite to half way on the volume controls. The automatic volume control does a good job, it comes in at around 45 mph and raises the volume. I had rear speakers on both bikes but always ended up using only the front. The headsets do make it better for music, I use them when I listen to classical music from our local classical station, the dynamic range of most classical pieces is just too wide to work well without them.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 09:52 PM

Model: GL1800 '06 GL1200 SEi '86
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox
Post imported post

Just got the Cee Bailey screen for my 1500 in the mail yesterday. Mine has the vent built in. I am hoping to fit it this weekend, so I am grateful for the washer info. Since I live in England, I doubt it will be long before I shall be able to report how the vent performs in rain!! I have bought the 4" higher model on the basis that if I like it I will keep it high, if not, I can cut it down.

For anyone this side of the pond, thinking of buying a Cee Bailey screen, I can thoroughly recommend the sole Agents, "Woodys" Mike the proprietor and Alison, were very helpful and a pleasure to deal with. Once I have had a chance to try out the screen in earnest, I will report on my experince of it.

Pete

Pete

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
'98 ST1100 Pan European, formerly owned by the Late Motorcycle Pete, Member and good friend of many on this site. Available for use by visitors from the USA and Canada.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page