2004 goldwing wont start no spark or gas - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hi, I purchased a salvaged 2004 goldwing and have been stumped on the problem of why it will not start and hope someone can help. Here it is, the engine turns over fine, I checked spark there is none, I dont think is is getting gas either, the FI light on speedometer panel doesnt come on leeding me to believe there is a problem with the kill switch. I have checked the ecu unit with another bike and still nothing, checked every fuse with other bike that works fine, any ideas please help. THANX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 09:27 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet zonaville!

Sorry, can't help with the 1800, a little rich for me but there should be some folks who've worked on them showing up soon.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 02:20 AM

Post imported post

Np spark of fuel is a good sign of a bad kill switch, I'd try and bypass it and see what happens. What sort of damage was done to this bike?

Paul.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 05:39 AM

Post imported post

zonaville, do any lights on the panel light up, like the green neutral light. Do you hear a "whirring" noise when you first turn the key on - if not the fuel pump is not running. This could be faulty kill switch or F1-IGN relay

Have you got the bike partially stripped - have all connectors been plugged up correctly as you indicated you have removed the ECU.

Globetrotter
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 08:28 AM

Year: 2003
Model: GL1800
Send a message via Yahoo to wexy
Post imported post

If the bike has been hit ,,chances are that it is one of the safety switches that is causing the problem ,Check them all out ,,I am sure there is an angle sensor switch under the saddle but not 100% sure on it ,,,Maybe someone else could shed light on it ....Ciaran

CIARAN (pronounced Keeron)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yes it is Gaelic
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

The 04 had a very hard hit on the front end, forks, rim, tire, very expensive plastic parts, and to top it off the ecu and cruise control were also missing, ebay saved me on alot of these items. I purchased two ecu units for $30.00 taking a chance they may work, I have since verified they do. I have checked every relay switch with a 2002. All the lights on thegauge clusterwork except the FI, also the fuel pump doesnt come on.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 02:57 PM
GERIATRIC MEMBER

Model: Neighbours 1800
Post imported post

Hello zonaville Welcome to the Number One Goldwing Forum on the net.

These guys will soon get your problem fixed.

"Redwing"

"The Rider Of The Fastest Colour"
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 03:01 PM
GERIATRIC MEMBER

Model: Neighbours 1800
Post imported post

wexman wrote:
Quote:
chances are that it is one of the safety switches that is causing the problem, but not 100% sure on it ,,,Maybe someone else could shed light on it ....Ciaran
Hey wexman your not a 'Guru' dont be attempting to answer any Tech questions when your not 100% sure.

"Redwing"

"The Rider Of The Fastest Colour"
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 03:18 PM

Post imported post

zonaville, will start at the begining.Check that you have 12v at pin 10 of plug c22. This plug is located on rh side just in front of the radiator cap and is light green. The wire is blk/white. If no voltage, fuse 8 or the kill switch or wire cut.

If okay check the connector along side c22 - this is the bank angle sensor, which cuts the engine out if bike tips over.

Next check that you have 12v on leg 3 of the fuel injector relay (has blk/white,blk/yellow and red/white wires to it)- under the seat lh side. this relay drives the bank angle sensor and suplies the power to the fuel pump relay (has blk/yellow and brn wires to it)that runs the fuel pump and injector system.

Sorry do not know the relay numbers.

These relays are what power the system (ECU etc

Hope this helps

Globetrotter
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

THANK YOU GLOBETROTTER, and the rest who replied, it was the tip sensor I had no idea there was such a feature. I also have a 2002 that I just got last week and I simply took the right side with headlight attached and swaped, plugged in the green sensor connection turned the key and heard the magic sound of wweeerrrrrr...(fuel pump). Been scratchn my head for weeks.....I guess its time to invest in a manual huh? anyway, thanx and I will be on the road by weekend, YAA got to get back to it.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page