Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   to thermostat or not to thermostat (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/266998-thermostat-not-thermostat.html)

dburnash 12-30-2005 07:56 PM

imported post

Hey guys, getting further into the big teardown. got the forks off (the manual will be tonights reading before dissasembly of those puppies) Next pulling the radiator for timimg belts. lot of posts lately on thermostats so here goes. the bike is a 84 interstate. has 26000 miles. Long as the rad is out should I replace the stat, or do you guys think with only 26K I should be ok? the honda replacement is a bit pricey dont ya know. the bike has not had any cooling issues ( the fan will come on if sitting when its warm out). Yet once again I thank you for the help!

PatinIdaho 12-30-2005 08:01 PM

imported post

A Thermostat is one of them things that fail whenever it decides to. Some last forever some dont last very long at all, But thats rare. I would change it as long as im that close to it.

Pat

Silicon Sam 12-30-2005 08:03 PM

imported post

The thermostat is around 20 years old, it may need replacing. I saw these replacement numbers on another site.

Thermostat-----Stant 45868
NAPA THM201

Raymond

jackjohn 12-30-2005 08:07 PM

imported post

Hi dburnash, personally I would leave it as is unless you know of some problem you have seen that may be attributable to the thermostat. If you decide to replace it, run a search and see what information is available. There seems to be some disagreement on whether a replacement unit will open as wide as the Honda unit. I have been collecting replacement part numbers for a long time and the replacement number I have is for a NAPA #101. While you have it apart, you probably should replace the radiator hoses. NAPA # 7733 can be cut to provide both.

77GL1 12-30-2005 09:53 PM

imported post

You can pull it, boil it with thermometer in the water to see if it opens to 1/4-5/16s at whatever temp your year requires.

BobbyW 12-30-2005 10:18 PM

imported post

I replaced mine when I did the radiator hoses. Took an additional 15 minutes for years of peace of mind. (My Mind)

exavid 12-30-2005 10:24 PM

imported post

If there's no corrosion on the thermostat and the bike was running with normal temperatures before teardown I'd use it again, there isn't much that can go wrong with them and a new one is probably just as likely to fail as an old one. At least you know the old one worked, if the bike warmed up okay and didn't overheat. Save a buck for more gas!

GWEddie 01-01-2006 06:30 PM

imported post

I would replace it if I was working in that general area. Its not a lot of extra work or bucks and it gives peace of mind on long trips in the midst of nowhere. The big hills around here are lonely places if your Wing thermostat decides to go bad...

Goldwings 4 ever 01-01-2006 07:13 PM

imported post

Just to add another question to this thread. Do the Wing thermostats fail open the same as most car thermostats? If this is the case I would not worry too much about a a failure.

jackjohn 01-03-2006 07:52 PM

imported post

It's been my experience that a thermostat can fail open or closed in a bike or car. I will say that of the three failures I've seen, two were closed.