windshield trim - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Have a '81 GL1100 and installed a new, standard height windsheild to replace the old tall one. Now that I can see over it, I can ride in the rain and fog, but the water beads up and rolls off the top and into my face.

I have seen pictures here and elsewhere of bikes whose windsheilds have a chrome trim around the outer edge. Does this reduce the spitting? If so, anyone know where it can be purchased? Local shop?

Thanks! -hossners

hossners
1981 Goldwing GL1100 Interstate Limited Edition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 11:31 AM

Post imported post

Hossners in England you can buy this trim from the usual chrome dealers ,not cheap or you can buy it from good car accsesorie shops at a more realistic price,over here its called chrome mini trim.You warm it up and clip it on .

1982 cany red 1100 Interstate
Chrome wont get you home. / Skype goldwingnut /RBLR . "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow we gave our today" Colin
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 11:55 AM

Post imported post

I just went to a local hardware store and purchased a length of clear plastic tubing, I think 3/16" DIA, split it down the middle and squeeze it over the top of the windshield.
Works awesome and can take it off on longer dry spells. And best of all ,it's dirt cheap!
Not near as noticeable as a chrome strip but if you like that kind of thing and it works for you, go for it. I personally like it descreet....have fun!
Mark

85 GL1200 Aspencade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 04:04 PM

Post imported post

I went to my local autoparts store and bought chrome trim stripping. I have installed it around my windshield, trunk ,saddle bags and around my fairing. It really adds a nice touch to the bike.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 04:15 PM
Banned

Post imported post

If the trim is adhesive, watch out for the adhesive melting in summer and running down the windshield, happened to me, and it made a mess! Looks nice, though.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 05:23 PM

Post imported post

No just snaps on tight, actually what I used was car door trim. It come in various lengths, you have to cut it for the size you need. I have removed it and re installed it with no problem. I got the idea at a custom car show. a few of my friends have also tried it. You just have to make exact measurements, as my father always said

Measure twice cut once
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 05:33 PM

Model: '85 GL1200 Aspy
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverDave
Post imported post

┬*I like the (almost $000┬* ) clear 3/16 tubing┬* idea .. the other commercial stuff is $6 per foot[img]/forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif[/img]┬* !!┬*┬* ┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*.....┬* My first piece┬* of tubing┬* was just short enough to drop the water┬* off the edge of the shield onto my knees..[img]/forums/images/emoticons/dude.gif[/img]. ┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬* ┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬*┬* ┬*I┬* made another that goes from Mirror to Mirror...┬* The only flaw ... the tubing┬* ┬*peels off when I remove my black t-shirt ,or my cover... so....┬* 6 to 8 carefully spaced drops of clear Silicone┬* sealant now keeps it in place .... and when summer comes┬* ┬*, and┬* when its not raining┬* ┬*the tubing can be peeled off, and rolled up , and the Silicone can be scraped off with a fingernail . ┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*SilverDave┬*[img]/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif[/img]

1985 Aspy Pinstriped Powder Blue & Matching blue Trailer.
"Mathematics is the Music of the Mind"

Gray-haired bikers don't get that way from pure luck.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 07:50 PM

Post imported post

Maybe $6.00 a foot in Canada, but I only paid about $2.50 a foot. Comes in a size of 5/16 chrome cove shape.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 05:05 AM
Passed On, R.I.P.

Location: Baldwinsville, Just Outside of Syracuse, New York, USA
Model: 09 Gl1800
Post imported post

Ok, Ok
So what you guys are saying is the addition of this trim or tubing will redirect the water drops from flinging themselves into my face?

I am talking about at regular road speeds.

Silverdave, If the drops are falling off at your knees, would not that mean that you are going slow enough that air flow didnt push the drops to the top of the screen?

I'm thinking that the trim would restrict the flow over the top of screen until the airflow pushed enough waterthere that it overflows the obstruction then you would have more water hitting you in the face.

Well maybe a bit higher than it used to due to the additional height and the shape of the tubing.

I guess, I got to buy me some and try it.

Now ya got me wondering. And enquiring Minds need to know.

C Ya Guys,

Mohawk

95 Aspencade, Dressed to the Nines
Live to Ride - Ride to Live
My 4th Wing with 43 Years in the Wind Now
I have owned over 50 bikes now, This is the longest I have owned only one bike.

Prior USMC Sgt. and Vietnam Vet - Platoon Sgt. and D.I.
PGR Member since 2006 - Serving Those Who Served For Us.

The Native Americans found out what happens when you don't control immigration.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page