Tire changing methods & equipment - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
fgh

Model: GL1100 Aspy
Post imported post

I'm one of those guys who likes to do it all. But when it comes to tires I have BIG SECOND thoughts. I've done the tires on my 83 GS750ES several times and have always had a problem as both beads will not fit into the center channel on the rim. I've had my 83 Aspy since May and on and off the road since July. I had to replace the front valve stem, but that only involved debeading one side. I'm currently looking at some of the home tire changers (<$150). If you've got one I'd sure like to know what kind and what you think of it.

fgh
\'83 Aspy
\'83 GS750ES
If it ain\'t broke you can\'t fix it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 01:54 PM

Post imported post

Go here an click on the "links" link http://www.americanmototire.com/

Life was a rock until my goldwing sold me. Gotta go riding so my inner biker told me. At the end of my rainbow lies my golden oldie.
Some people see things as they are and ask why. I dream of things that never were and ask why not.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 02:59 PM

Post imported post

used to do them myself....now I fork over the $20 or so and let someone else do it. I do remove the wheel and bring that in so I only pay the tire changing fee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 03:41 PM

Post imported post

fgh wrote:
Quote:
I'm one of those guys who likes to do it all. But when it comes to tires I have BIG SECOND thoughts. I've done the tires on my 83 GS750ES several times and have always had a problem as both beads will not fit into the center channel on the rim. I've had my 83 Aspy since May and on and off the road since July. I had to replace the front valve stem, but that only involved debeading one side. I'm currently looking at some of the home tire changers (<$150). If you've got one I'd sure like to know what kind and what you think of it.
Fgh, you can break the tire bead in a bench vise, use a large C clamp with blocks of wood, or; I use my Arbor Press & a couple of hardwood blocks..

Once the tire bead is loose all you need is a couple of good MOTORCYCLE tire irons & some plastic rim protectors.. With the newer stiff wall tires it is a fight but not too awful much work.. I usually place the wheel over an old deep car rim with an old thick blanket for rim protection while working on the tire..

I don't know why you are trying to put BOTH tire beads into the center of the rim.. One bead comes out over the side of the rim while the other bead goes into the center until it's turn to come off over the side of the rim (never both in the center at once)..

Twisty

Only a motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the window!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 03:50 PM

Model: 76 GL1000
Post imported post

I use the rim-clamp tire machine at the auto hobby shop on base. I will be getting a manual tire changer soon for at home use though. I also like to do all of the work myself, as then i know it is done right.

1976 GL1000 Nekkid!!
formerly had
1980 CX500
1981 GL500 SilverWing
1985 Honda GL1200 LTD
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 04:09 PM

Post imported post

I have been using irons and a home made balance stand for a long while. Its easier now that we have tubeless tires, although the dunlops are so stiff that they are a bear to get on the rim.

Nick

1984 Gl1200 Std made over to an Aspencade, Black
1959 FLH Hydroglide
1978 Superglide
2003 Custom 124" Beast
Real men ride wearing kilts
Master Electrician, Bagpipe player and rider and wrencher of two wheel vehicles.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 08:08 PM

Model: 1982 GL1100I (Sold); 2012 GL1800 VII
Post imported post

I change the front at home without any trouble, but for the rear, $25 and a wait at the local dealer makes it a lot easier.

Jack
2012 GL1800A
2004 GL1800A Sold
1982 GL1100I Sold
1975 GL1000 Sold
1974 CB450 Sold
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 09:46 PM

Post imported post

Hi Guys. Sorry but I just can't see any reason to change a tyre yourself. It's quick, easy and professionally done by a motorcycle tyre dealer and there is less risk of damage to the rims. Just my opinion of course! Cheers John

John \'82 GL1100 Interstate
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 08:23 AM

Post imported post

johnsar wrote:
Quote:
Hi Guys. Sorry but I just can't see any reason to change a tyre yourself. It's quick, easy and professionally done by a motorcycle tyre dealer and there is less risk of damage to the rims. Just my opinion of course! Cheers John
Hi John, you are totaly correct when you say that it is cheap and easy to let a Pro do the tire change, BUT for me and probably for most of the people on the forum, We like working on our bikes and have for a long time. I use my wrenching time to calm my nerves from the every day trials and tribulations. For me it is more than just maintaining a machime it is showing the world, but more importantly myself,that you have accomplished something. The feeling of independance and not needing anyone to keep your wing in tip top shape is not measured in dollars.

I don't know if people understand the type of people,myself included, that love mechanical things and love nothing more than trying to figure out a problem and fixing it.

So you see John it is not the money nor the time that matters it is the feeling of a job that is done safely and to the highest standards possible.

Sorry for the rant, but had to share my view point.

Cheers

Nick

1984 Gl1200 Std made over to an Aspencade, Black
1959 FLH Hydroglide
1978 Superglide
2003 Custom 124" Beast
Real men ride wearing kilts
Master Electrician, Bagpipe player and rider and wrencher of two wheel vehicles.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 04:05 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

jackjohn wrote:
Quote:
I change the front at home without any trouble, but for the rear, $25 and a wait at the local dealer makes it a lot easier.
I had the opposite problem with my EIIIs. The rear wasn't hard to hand install but the front had such a stiff sidewall I gave in and took it to a tire shop. My motive for changing my own tires is strictly monetary! I can afford to sweat a bit but it cost me $20 to have the front tire mounted. It would have cost just as much to have the rear done, and with my retirement income every buck saved is a buck earned. Though I enjoy working on my bike, the reason I do it is to save a buck and because I don't always trust others to do it right. As Tevye said in Fiddler on the roof, "...if I were a rich man...", I'd probably get rid of my tools and just trade up to a new bike every couple years. But alas...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page