86A 1200 Backfire - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hi Everyone, It's been a while since I visited. Nice to see you all still here.

Just recently my Wing has started on occasion to backfire once on startup. It starts up fine and runs fine but I am just wondering why it's starting to do this on startup.

My mileage seems to have dropped also from around 40mpg to 38-39 mpg.

Any suggestions?

Harry

Harry
2002 GL1800 Illusion Blue
2000 Shadow 1100
1986 GL1200A Wineberry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 05:40 PM

Post imported post

Do you smell raw gasoline prior to starting?? She may be leaking some thru the valve seats and somehow down into the pipes and blowing up in there upon startup.

Hawker22(Ken)
Per Ardua Ad Astra
1997 GL1500SE--White Cloud
2001 GL1800----Blue Yonder
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 06:00 AM

Post imported post

Hey Airbeat... There can be many reasons for a backfire on start-up. It could be caused by a stretched timing belt, mis-adjusted pulse generator, lean mixture, arcing plug wire or fuel collecting in the exhaust pipes..

A backfire means the fuel/air mixture is ignitedinto the intake system of the engine. It can also mean the mixture isfiring out thru the exhaust system during post compression. In either case, I would suspectignition timing.

With poor fuel mileage, it may be caused by a sticking fuel metering rod inside one of the carbs which causes an initiallean mixture. As the engine warms up, that metering rod may slide into the upward positon, stick and cause a rich mixture.

We need to do more research for a proper diagnosis..

First, inspect the timing belts and cam positions for proper alignment.. If all is well, move on to the pulse generator and fuel delivery system..

Keep us posted on your progress..

Old Nam Vet
LZ English 66 - 67
New \'08 Titanium Nav
I\'m old and wise, but was once young and stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks for the suggestions. Starting with the simple things first Renegade what would you suggest to check for sticking fuel metering rod? Fuel additive recommendation?

I need to change the timing belts soon (don't know how long theyhave been on there and now have about 110,000 miles on the bike)so I will be getting to that hopefully in the next week or so. May have to change out the water pump (or seals at least) since I have a very, very, slight drip from the weep hole. (Doesn't even show on the ground but can see it hanging at the weep hole and smell anti-freeze a bit)

Looks like I'm in for some down time soon.

On the plus side, I did do the alternator conversion with the kit from Don and so far after eight months and about 10,000 miles its been working perfectly!

Airbeat

Harry
2002 GL1800 Illusion Blue
2000 Shadow 1100
1986 GL1200A Wineberry
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 05:52 PM

Post imported post

Least expensive thing first would be to run a couple of cans of SeaFoam thru the fuel system. Read the directions on the can and add only the specified amount to the fuel. Also, be sure to use fresh gasoline. If the bike has been stored all winter, the fuel loses it's volatility over time and will gum up in the carb fuel bowls, metering rods and floats. I always use Stabil for storing anything with gas in the tanik.

Good idea on the belts.. It is very possible that after 110k miles, they have deteriorated, stretched or shrunk with time. This can throw the valve timing off.

I forgot to mention... Pull the spark plugs and inspect them for the proper gap and cleanliness..

Old Nam Vet
LZ English 66 - 67
New \'08 Titanium Nav
I\'m old and wise, but was once young and stupid.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page