fuel injector cleaning - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

has anyone used the fuel injector cleaning additive that you add to the fuel.reason being,that when the boys from Honda,took the 1800 away for the frame check,in conversation,one recomended running some through the bike to achive,great throttle response at all time,and to keep it performing at its best??

Graham nsu quickly, suzuki 50, yamaha fs1e, yamaha 250yds7,
triton 750, trident750t150, norton commando 850 roadster,
honda750 f1, honda 750 f2, honda gl 1100, bultaco 250, kawasaki 500 h1, jpn commando ,25yr gap
2001 gl 1800 love it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 04:05 PM

Post imported post

There are quite a few of these additives available and they don't do any harm. I don't know if any particular one is better than the rest, there is a big choice available.

Lucky Eddie.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 04:31 PM

Post imported post

Hi, I use one that I get from my local Partco auto suppliers, can't remember the make but it's cheaper there than the local car shop, They do 2 types , one you add a measured amount every time you fill up, bit like redex. The other you use the whole bottle in one go. As a car tank is a lot bigger than a bike half a bottle should do, I use it about every 4 months and combine it with a good long run, usually London and back. STP do one as well, I've used that before with no problems.

1988 Gl1500

If you see a vehicle with a indicator on, the bulb works, if it flashes the relay works, if they turn......they know it\'s on!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 06:30 PM

Post imported post

WhenI first bought my bike, it had been sitting for a year without being ridden. It had been started from time to time over that period, but not ridden, since the owner had an injury that prevented it. When I went to look at the bike, I started it up, and noticed that the idle was quite rough. I asked the owner what was causing that, and he informed me that his mechanic thought it was a cracked intake manifold. He then said that the cost of a replacement was around $200US. I told him that I'd never seen a part that didn't cost twice as much to install as the cost of the part itself, so I offered him $600 less for the bike than he was asking. He accepted my offer, and I bought my bike for $2100US.

Since the seller wasin LA, and I live in San Diego, and I had driven up there in my truck to look at it, it was arranged for me to come back up there the next weekend with my wife, so she could drive back, and I could ride the bike. Meanwhile, I started looking for a mechanic to fix the intake problem. I was told to bring the bike by the local motorcycle shop on the Saturday that I brought it back down to San Diego, and he'd look at it, prior to scheduling the repair. After riding the bike for ten minutes, he told me that he didn't think there was anything wrong with the intake, but that my injectors were merely clogged from running old gas through them for the past year. He sold me a bottle of Redline Injector Cleaner, and told me to ignore the label instructions. Instead, I was to put 1/3 of the bottle into a tank of gas and burn it up. Then, put in another 1/3 of the bottle, and fill 'er up again. After burning that fuel up, put in the final 1/3 of the bottle when filling up, and burn that fuel up. He said he expected that I wouldn't be needing any repair after that, and he was right.

There might very well be other products on the market that do as well, but I swear by Redline Injector Cleaner. That $8 bottle helped me save $600 on the bike!!

2002 GL1800
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

thanks for the info,i have a good ride in about 5weeks time,ill put some through her on this trip

all the best pinkpork

Graham nsu quickly, suzuki 50, yamaha fs1e, yamaha 250yds7,
triton 750, trident750t150, norton commando 850 roadster,
honda750 f1, honda 750 f2, honda gl 1100, bultaco 250, kawasaki 500 h1, jpn commando ,25yr gap
2001 gl 1800 love it
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page