Brakes, brakes and more brakes. rear caliper rubbing disc - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hey guys! I have another brake question.

My rear caliper is rubbing the edge of my brake disc. How do I move the caliper or thewheel over? If you are looking at the back of the bike, the left side of the caliper is rubbing. If it were the front, I would pry the fork over and retighten, but the only thing I can think of is to buy a large washer and shim the back tire over a little. Is this okay?

1979 GL1000 56K miles
Full Vetter package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 10:25 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

You most likely have a frozen caliper. Check that the caliper can move a bit sideways. I don't have the exploded view for the 1000 but the 1100 and later models have a sleeve that one of the caliper mounting bolts pass through. It's vital that the sleeve is free to move in the caliper. If it's stuck and you replace the pads it's a given that they will drag. Drive out the sleeve clean it and the bore in the caliper, grease them up and replace with the boots on each end and it should make things okay.

If the caliper is free and it still rubs take a look at the slot in the caliper bracket, it should be centered over the disk. If not then a shim washer may be in the wrong position.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 10:54 PM

Post imported post

Easiest way to check this is with a hunk of wood and a hammer. Give the caliper a couple of whacks from each side. Use the wood to get through the rim from the right hand side and to insulate the blow from doing any damage to the caliper. If it frees up and gives yu the clearance you need then you need to think about a caliper rebuild.

WF

Whiskerfish
2008 GL1800 Base

1978/9 Dressed daily rider 45k miles

1975 Nekid Noisy and Nasty
1975 Nekid in pieces parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 12:48 AM
Postpubescent member

Post imported post

Actually the quickest way I know is to look at the pads, if one is a lot thicker than the other you most likely have a stuck caliper.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 07:20 AM

Post imported post

Yea that wouold probably be better but I just like a hammer once in a while

WF

Whiskerfish
2008 GL1800 Base

1978/9 Dressed daily rider 45k miles

1975 Nekid Noisy and Nasty
1975 Nekid in pieces parts
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

thx WF and ex. The pads are new. Put on by PO, so I can't tell by pad wear yet. I am on duty at the fire station, will be home tomorrow and whack it with the wood. ( can you say that? LOL )

I think I brought some frustation on myself by cleaning all the calipers and not buying rebuild kits. I had hoped to save some money, but frustration + time wasted= losing situation.

Really appreciate you guys responding!

1979 GL1000 56K miles
Full Vetter package
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 07:30 PM
Postpubescent member

Post imported post

I think you answered your own question Rescuer, it's likely the PO did put the pads on but that's not the whole job. I think you really need to take the calipers apart, clean them up, clean the pistons of all the crud that's probably on them and reassemble the lot with new seals and dust covers. At that time you can remove the caliper sleeve and make sure it's clean and well greased. Repair kits for the brakes come with the seals and the rubber boots for the ends of the mounting sleeve.

As I mentioned before take a close look at the brake caliper bracket where it goes over the brake disk. The slot should be centered over the disk. If it is and your brake binds it's because the PO replaced the thin pad on one side with a thicker one. If the caliper had frozen in position with a thinner pad, it can't move to allow for the thicker new pad resulting in a lot of drag and wear. If the caliper is properly free to move side to side as it's supposed to the pads will wear pretty evenly.

Just gotta bite the bullet, there's a long summer coming with lots of riding. Don't take a chance with the brakes, they're more important than the engine toward keeping you and your bike alive and healthy!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page