overheating issue with radiator - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I just bought this bike, and did some of the stuff myself, but also took it to a mechanic. He stated the following: someone had replaced the coolant in the radiator prior to me doing it, and he thought the bike had been sitting a long time.

His comment was that temp. climbed gradually while riding it, which indicated not a water pump issue. He tried to flush the system, but it didn't help. His thought was to get the radiator rodded to clean it out as there might be partial blockage. The fan comes on even when riding, which he says is not normal.

question, prior to getting this done, a real problem since most radiator shops have closed down due to e.p.a. problems, what about changing the radiator cap and thermostat? Which is part of the problem. I have the n.a.p.a. number for the cap, what about the thermostat? Is there an equivilent. The honda dealer says two days to two weeks to order.

Also where do you find a good radiator if necessary and cost?

thanks,

Ron

1984 honda goldwing standard 1200cc
2004 Honda goldwing 1800cc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 09:49 PM

Model: None
Post imported post

Can you tell us your ambient temperatures when this heating problem takes place. Are you running 50/50 solution, if so you will get better heat transfer at 100% water with anti fouling inhibitors. Do you need -35C freeze protection? You could also change your coolant to a less anti-freeze more water combination, but do not run only water without a lubricant and anti rusting inhibitor in the solution.

You state very few rad shops so why don't you remove the rad, soak in a tub (bath or laundry), add the toxic cleaners, let soak, drain and repeat. The temp controller can and should be pulled and tested in hot water to verify that it opens at the right temp.

Just before doing all this work, open the rad cap and run the bike with air flow through the rad and see if it still gets too hot, you cannot trust the gauges at this point, stick a known good thermometer into the rad throat and see what temps you produce. Or if you have a touchless thermometer use it.

Al
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

it probably is around 75degrees fahr. in phx right now and I am using pure honda coolant, not antifreeze. I will messing with the bike tomorrow and will see about taking temp.

ron

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

come to think of it, that honda coolant is premixed so it would be 50/50.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1984 Honda Goldwing.jpg (38.6 KB, 97 views)

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 03:59 AM
DJ

Post imported post

You need to check the thermostat first, don't guess at things before checking them. If the top radiator hose stays cool then the thermostat is staying closed. If the top hose gets hot but goes real hard (when you squeeze it) after a few minutes of the engine running then one of the head gaskets is failing. If the whole of the radiator surface gets warm then there is no blockage, a blockage will result in a cold spot on the rad. Hope this helps.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

i have installed a new radiator cap, and ordered an new thermostat for among other reasons a 1984 bike, it takes about a week to get it in phoenix from a honda dealer, they have to order.

I "burped" it today and found air in the system, but it still was running at about 3/4 on the guage and the fan kicking in.

Will try the hoses tomorrow.

Ron

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

i think while i am tearing into it, will test the switch too

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 03:38 PM
Banned

Post imported post

Youll replace the entire cooling system and not fix it, because its never a cooling system problem. These cycles suffer from chronic charging system and ignition problems that make them overheat.

It is not normal for the fan to come on when riding, unless the outdoor temps are extremely high and riding hard at high speeds, then suddenly stopping. I have rebuilt these cycles and tuned them so that the fan never came on, even after hard riding in the summer. Its all about having the carbs working properly (not excessively rich), repairing the electrical system and tuning it properly. Until thats all done, the problem will be permanent.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 08:45 PM

Post imported post

Dave Campbell wrote:
Quote:
Youll replace the entire cooling system and not fix it, because its never a cooling system problem. These cycles suffer from chronic charging system and ignition problems that make them overheat.
AAHH Ok Can some one explain to me how a faulty charging system can cause a bike to overheat cause this sounds like BS to me??

WF

Whiskerfish
2008 GL1800 Base

1978/9 Dressed daily rider 45k miles

1975 Nekid Noisy and Nasty
1975 Nekid in pieces parts
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 06:46 AM

Post imported post

Whiskerfish When something comes out of DC,s mouth it is always BS!

Alski [ Lord, please make me as good as my dog thinks I am!]
1987 Aspencade - Black
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page