New stator job completed and charging!...but, - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Kev

Post imported post

Wow... what a couple of days it has been. This was a solo job. I got everything mostlyput together and engine started. I hear a noise from the engine that sounds like a lifter that won't pump up or something like it. The engine runs smooth, does not miss, and idles, just not real crazy about the sounds I am hearing. I checked and double checked the timing belts before putting the covers on. I know it is difficult to imagine the sounds. Is there a way to verify the timing belts now that I am mostly assembled. Like, can I remove a couple of covers and get the engine cranked to T1 and then verify the camshaft position? I guess I would sleep better if I could. The noise almost seems to be coming from the front cover area. Also, the clutch is not bleeding very well. Still do not feel much resistance. Getting plenty of fluid from bleeder.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Kevin.

PS. Went back out and started engine and let idle, Can hear the noise pretty good when I put a long screwdriver aginst the hex bolts in the timing covers and also at the just behind the covers.

"86" Aspencade GL1200 (no longer with us)
"93" GL1500 SE Pearl Glacier White

Nobody wishes they were you when
you drive by in your car.

Don\'t forget to pay your taxes......
12 million illegal aliens are depending on you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 08:51 PM

Model: '06 GL1800, '78 GL1000 with '75 motor
Post imported post

Check your exhaust joints again. It is amazing how they can sound like something mechanical when they leak.

"Love 'em all... Let God sort 'em out!"
'52 wife - '69 daughter - '83 daughter
ex '86 SE-i
ex '77 GL1000
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 10:46 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

Hey Kev, put your bike's year and model in your signature line on your profile so we won't have to look up what you are working on. Yes, you can verify the belt timing easily. Set the crank to T1 and look at your cam pulleys, if the UP letters are upside down, crank the shaft one more turn until they are right side up and the T1 mark is in the window. You should have some little marks on the pulleys on the 9:00 o'clock and the 3:00 o'clock positions adjacent to a mark on the engine case, 9 o'clock on the bike's right head and 3 o'clock on the bike's left head. If the noise goes away as you speed up the engine it could also be carb sync errors. Out of sync carbs can make the primary chain rattle a good bit.

Bleeding the clutch can be a pain, try tying the lever down overnight and see what that does for you.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Kev

Post imported post

exavid wrote:
Quote:
Yes, you can verify the belt timing easily.
Quote:
If the noise goes away as you speed up the engine it could also be carb sync errors. Out of sync carbs can make the primary chain rattle a good bit.
Quote:
Bleeding the clutch can be a pain, try tying the lever down overnight and see what that does for you.
Actually, I was hoping I could checkbelt timingwithout disassembling the engine. But if tear-down is the only way thenI will. The noise does not really go away with rpm's , however, I have been hesitant to rev the engine any more than 2,000 rpm's. If I am out of sync, how do I verify? There was an after market speed control, but the operating switch was missing. I removed all the speed control junk and put a screw in the port to the vacuum reservoir.

I will try the clutch bleed trick......Thanks!

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 09:39 AM
Senior Guru

Garage
Post imported post

Kevin. On that clutch, break the banjo bolt loose at the clutch master cyl. That "high spot" give a great spot for air to remain. You'll be surprised the amount of air that comes out. Also, doing the slight pull, repeatedly, will help get some air out. Watch the reservoir, and you'll see little bubbles escaping. Hard to explain, but we're talking very little lever movement. Tickle the lever, like, 50 times.

Youdidn't getinto the valve covers, did you? Just a stator job? Did it sit a good long while?

BOB

Knicknacks by Eric of Holland (former LTD rider)

80 Int., 85 Int., 85 LTD, 90/2000 1500, and now a 2006 Nav, Cabernet Red
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Kev

Post imported post

Here is an update,

Went out and drained cooling system, removed water pump to pull radiator back to allow access to timing belt covers. I set the crank at T1 and verified pulley alignment, dead on. I put pump back on and refilled cooling system. I started the engine and observed the belts. They are smooth and quiet, but engine noise still present. Sounds like loose rocker arms or a lifter not pumped up. There is not a defined ticking or rattle sound, but more of a clatter. Exavid suggested the primary chain could be rattling. I would tend to agree that is what I am hearing. Of course I am much more aware of any sounds now that I have had the engine out, but I know that what I hear is different from what it sounded like before doing this job. If the primary chain is noisey, what can I do about it and is there any harm? Could I now have a carb syncproblem? I am trying to get prepared for a benefit ride on the 22nd. I hope to get bugs worked out by then.

Thanks for your help everyone!

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 11:58 AM
Postpubescent member

Post imported post

If it's primary chain rattle syncing the carbs will help.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Kev

Post imported post

If it's primary chain rattle syncing the carbs will help.

Is it possible to get out of synch by simply removing and installing carbs? I was careful not to turn them over and I did not have much trouble getting them out or back in. Not questioning the possibility, but the engine ran great, and there were no idle problems. My greatest concern was a rich smelling exhaust and no charging system before disassembly. Now, back together,engine idles smooth, but with this "chain" noise. I can rev it up to about 3,000 rpm's and the sound gets drowned out.

I do not know of any local wing mechanics that I could call on with confidence, even if I do need carb work.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 02:30 PM
Postpubescent member

Post imported post

Regarding your rich smelling exhaust, how do your spark plug look? Are all of them about the same color? Usually when the carb mixtures are off it's not all of them.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Kev

Post imported post

The plugs have about 2000 miles on them and are clean. I do not notice now or in the past any engine miss or drivability concerns.

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page