Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to RonSena
Post imported post

Hiya Folks,

New member from South Carolina here.

Hopefully, ya'll can help me with a problem I have

I just purchased a 1985 GL1200 from a Gentleman in FLA and the bike was reportedly running as of last week.

When I went to start the bike, we initially got click then nothing. It appears the battery was dead. We charged the battery for a bit and still nothing. The owner wastravelingbut was available by cellphone.

He suggested tapping the starter motor with a hammer to knock the bendix loose. We did this and got a spinning sound from the starter and every so often a couple of attempted turns on the engine. but it still would not crank. We also tried to repeatedly press the start button and got a couple of attempted grunts.

A trickle charger was connected to the battery posts but had not been plugged in since the bike was last run. A automotive battery charger was used to charge it and we also tried to use the higher amperage to try to start the bike. Still Nothing.

We attempted to push start the bike, but did not have the full momentum to kick it over and it stopped dead in its tracks once it was placed in 1st gear.

The bike was loaded up into a truck and transported to SC where the battery has been tested and replaced. The trickle charger has been replaced and the electrical system has been checked accordingly to the service manual.

However, with the bike in Supposed Neutral. All I get is the starter relay clicking and the lights go dim. This will happen every time with the clutch pressed in any gear.

Now, I say Supposed Neutral due to if the bike is in 1st gear and the clutch lever is pressed. The bike will not roll freely. It feels like it is a gear. It is not as hard to push as when the lever is not pressed. Is this normal? I havent ridden in many years but seem to recall that when the clutch lever is pressed the bike should roll freely. Am I right?

I just learned about the hydraulic clutch system versus cable and am trying to check the reservoir, but one of the screws has rounded out and am having trouble getting it opened. (tells me it has not been checked in who knows how long)

But other than the fluid being low, can anyone offer any ideas or suggestions to getting this bike running other than taking it in to a shop?

Thanks

Ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 07:37 AM

Post imported post

YOU NEVER NEVER charge a motorcycle battery with a charger made for cars. Max amp 2.5.
When you used the car charger to charge an old and dead battery you probably killed it.

Because your clutch is in same oil as your engine if you let the bike stay for a long period of time and not looking after it, by every now and then starting the engine and let it warm up, your oil becomes “milky” a sort of white creamy layer will be all over everything inside your engine.
Specially between the clutch plates.
Making the clutch become very difficult to disengage and therefore very difficult to change gears.

Changing oil helps a bit.

If I am not wrong, I believe that your bike has a safety feature that does not allow the bike to start if it is in a gear and the clutch can not be disengaged.
Also, I believe that if the side stand is down and you have a gear in, she won’t crank.

A new battery is always dry charged. To wake it up, you add battery acid and let it stay for a while and top up the battery acid again untill it is full.
BUT, the battery is only charged enough to start a bike (without any electrical or mechanical problems). It needs to be charged properly for few hours before it is fully charged.
So, be careful you don’t run the battery down before you have fixed the problem with your clutch etc.

Use jumper cables and a car to start the bike, whilst fixing the problem or you may be looking at a new battery again.

What is the weather like where you are? If it is a bit cold it is not going to help the old oil in your bike.

Also take a look at your spark plugs.
The way the ignition system works is like a water reservoir you need to fill it before emptying it.
The electricity is gathered in your coils before a discharge is made through your plugs.
Unfortunately, if you leave a bike for long and if you have Resistor plugs the last electricity that was gathered in your coil/s, when you turned the ignition off, is still in the coil and slowly leaks through your plug. Occasionally after a while that your bike has been sitting there, the plug dies.
Then after few months you come excited and want to start her off and nothing happens.

Let me know how it goes.

Have fun, Drive safe and enjoy your ride.
GL1500SE
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks for the reply.

I did replace the battery with a Gel Cell type and have left it charging overnight, so I know the battery is good to go. I also repalced the trickle charger with e new one and mounted it to the battry as was done before.

I see that there is another thread gong on with the same issue I am seem to be having, but on a different sized Wing.

At the moment the bike is up on the center stand.

So how do I get the clutch to disengage?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 08:00 AM

Post imported post

Change the oil to correct type.
If you think the bike is in gear, take her off the centre stand. Roll her for a while on her wheels.
Or better let someone in a car tow you on the bike with a rope that you hold and can let go of any time you need to.
BUT be VERY careful.
Get her back in the garage, put her on centre stand.
Pull the clutch in and try to change gear. If need be have someone at the real wheel rock it backwards and forwards until she is in neutral. You know when she is free and in neutral.

GL1500SE
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Now, I can shift the gears to neutral and free wheeling without pressing the clutch lever. The neutral light will come on and the bike moves freely.

But if I press the lever and place the bike in 1st gear and try to move it. It will catch ona gear, even though I have the clutch lever pressed in

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 08:09 AM
GERIATRIC MEMBER

Model: Neighbours 1800
Post imported post

Howdy RonSena and G'Day GL1500SE You are Both Very Welcome To The Worlds Greatest Goldwing Forum.

It's nice to see2 brand new members helpingeach other.

"Redwing"

"The Rider Of The Fastest Colour"
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 08:28 AM

Model: 2000SE
Post imported post

You attempted to push start the bike by rolling it and then throwing it into first gear. I have tried this as well, and it wont work.

if you try this again, try using second or 3rd gear instead. Has worked for me.

Speedbird

2000SE GL1500, 25th Anniversary Edition
Candy Red, Red

Goldwing World on Facebook Please join my page.

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 08:37 AM

Post imported post

Not trying to start her.
Just want to get some movement in the clutch plates to release them from each other.
If you have opened and seen how a milky clutch plate is stuck to the pressure plate and son on you will realise what I am suggesting to do.
But of course if you want to push start a bike you need much less speed if you put her in second or third gear.

GL1500SE
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 08:39 AM

Post imported post

Redwing wrote:
Quote:
Howdy RonSena and G'Day GL1500SE You are Both Very Welcome To The Worlds Greatest Goldwing Forum.

It's nice to see2 brand new members helpingeach other.

A BIG THANKS to you.

GL1500SE
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks for the welcome RedWing.

I am so fed up with this, I think it is time to toss the thing on the trailer and head out for a local Honda Shop. Along with waiting the 3 weeks to get any word..

Got the rounded screw loose and checked the clutch resevoir. Plenty of fluid in there and also checked the front brake reservoir. It actually had more that the clutch so I added a few drops.

Was able to get the starter loose at the cost of a wrung off lower bolt and was able to back it out of the housing just a bit to make sure it was loose and it was. screwed in the top bolt and gave it a shot.. Click - NADA!

I moved the bike around in 2nd & 3rd gear and spent time shifting and moving around the shop. However, the bike still wont move in 1st with the clutch lever pressed in.

So Taheckwithit.. time for the shop to figure it out..

Thanks for the assistance though.

Ron

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page