Choke Slippage - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Model: 2000SE
Post imported post

I need the choke to start the 84 Aspy every time. Problem is, I have to hold the choke open till the bike warms up, which on cold days can be quite some time. Since I also have to pull in the clutch(another problem) to start the bike doing both at once isnt always easy as Im getting older. any ideas on the choke to make it stay open on its own??

thanks

Speedbird

2000SE GL1500, 25th Anniversary Edition
Candy Red, Red

Goldwing World on Facebook Please join my page.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 07:34 AM

Post imported post

Good question! I have the same problem. Eagerly awaiting answer also.

Randy

81\' GL 1100 Standard with Vetter 5 fairing with lowers, radio pod and Hondaline suitcase bags and trunk.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 07:52 AM

Post imported post

When was it last you did a service on your bike?

You probably have the same problem as most GLs, the speed of the air/fuel mix whether you have a carb or fuel injection, after a while of evaporation creates a small drop of water in the carb, jets or injectors.
There are several products in the market that claim to remove crap from your fuel system and clean them. BUT , they are all nothing else than Methylated Spirits.
Alcohol (not the drinking kind) Alcohol removes water from your system.
Next time you fill her up, put in a litre of Methylated Spirits in the tank and thereafter every 3[sup]rd[/sup] full tank put in half a litre.
That should keep the system clean and free from sludge and water that is readily available at the bottom of all Tanks in all Pump Stations.

Why you need to pull the clutch in is the type of oil you use and probably the intervals between changing that oil.
The wet clutch system on Honda is not happy with Milky oil.
Change your oil more often than recommended.
Use correct type of oil for the area you live in.
Also if you use your clutch too often and you feel that she is slipping a bit, it is time to do some repairs.

This is as good advise I can give you on correspondence without been able to see the bike.
Tell me how it goes.

Have fun, Drive safe and enjoy your ride.
GL1500SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

GL1500SE wrote:
Quote:
When was it last you did a service on your bike?

You probably have the same problem as most GLs, the speed of the air/fuel mix whether you have a carb or fuel injection, after a while of evaporation creates a small drop of water in the carb, jets or injectors.
There are several products in the market that claim to remove crap from your fuel system and clean them. BUT , they are all nothing else than Methylated Spirits.
Alcohol (not the drinking kind) Alcohol removes water from your system.
Next time you fill her up, put in a litre of Methylated Spirits in the tank and thereafter every 3[suP]rd[/suP] full tank put in half a litre.
That should keep the system clean and free from sludge and water that is readily available at the bottom of all Tanks in all Pump Stations.

Why you need to pull the clutch in is the type of oil you use and probably the intervals between changing that oil.
The wet clutch system on Honda is not happy with Milky oil.
Change your oil more often than recommended.
Use correct type of oil for the area you live in.
Also if you use your clutch too often and you feel that she is slipping a bit, it is time to do some repairs.

This is as good advise I can give you on correspondence without been able to see the bike.
Tell me how it goes.

thanks for the reply. I dont kniow why I need to pull in the clutch, as it was that way since I bought it last year. The PO said it was something a mechanic forgot to fix when he had the engine apart., some kind of gear thingy in the tranny. I get no green light either or gear indication on the instrument panel. I talked to another mechanic and he told me he has to remove timing belt cover to get to the problem??

Good point on the oil however, I can assure you I have taken much care with this bike since i have had it. The oil is 10W30 and is so clean you can cook with it.

Candy Red, Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 08:26 AM

Post imported post

Just guessing on the choke thing, Maybe one flap is stuck on one of the carbs.

Randy

81\' GL 1100 Standard with Vetter 5 fairing with lowers, radio pod and Hondaline suitcase bags and trunk.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 08:31 AM

Post imported post

I am sure that you love your baby.
But, by the looks of it, the previous owner was probably not as much in love with her as you are.
So, keep doing what you are doing and at least on the oil side you should be OK.
The thingy with the maginky is unfortunately not helping much.
But it sounds sus if you don’t have green light or gear indicator.
Can you put her in neutral and roll the back wheel?
When you stop a red light how do you know if you are in neutral? Or do you pull the clutch at all time when stationary?
It is getting late her in the Land of OZ, I may take a look at the microfisch for your model tomorrow and let you know if I find what the thingy maginky that you are referring to is.

GL1500SE
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 08:43 AM

Post imported post

On the choke thing, I was just looking at the carbs and there is a return spring on the side of one. Maybe they are supposed to spring back??

Randy

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

GL1500SE wrote:
Quote:
I am sure that you love your baby.
But, by the looks of it, the previous owner was probably not as much in love with her as you are.
So, keep doing what you are doing and at least on the oil side you should be OK.
The thingy with the maginky is unfortunately not helping much.
But it sounds sus if you don’t have green light or gear indicator.
Can you put her in neutral and roll the back wheel?
When you stop a red light how do you know if you are in neutral? Or do you pull the clutch at all time when stationary?
It is getting late her in the Land of OZ, I may take a look at the microfisch for your model tomorrow and let you know if I find what the thingy maginky that you are referring to is.
It has something to do with a collar that is misaligned. Yes the bike rolls fine when in neutral. I put the bike in neutral by "feel" at red lights. There was a previous post I made in regards to this and ill try to find it.

thanks

Speedbird

Candy Red, Red

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 09:02 AM

Post imported post

handyrandy wrote:
Quote:
Just guessing on the choke thing, Maybe one flap is stuck on one of the carbs.

Randy

If she was stuck on the choke she was not going to get far before you feel she is loosing power and gets sluggish and wants to die.
There is a spring on the choke at the carb end of the wire.
But not to automatically spring back the choke lever. It is there to help you to close the choke when you push back the lever.

GL1500SE
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 09:14 AM

Post imported post

I am saying that maybe the choke is stuck open on one carb.

Randy

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page