Replaced the Spark Unit ... still no spark - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to ttexastim
Post imported post

Howdy y'all,

So I got my spark units. They look good, no melting of the epoxy at all. I installed them, and I still don't have any spark. I've checked all 4 (1 at a time) spark plugs, and don't have spark to any of them. This bike has sat for 15 years, and we were told it ran fine when it was parked.

Anyone have any ideason what I should check next?I don't know whether to check the2 coils, orsomething else. I would appreciate any help/advice. Its perfect riding weather here in Texas, and its killing me that this thing won't fire.

Thanks for the help.

\'81 GL1100 Interstate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 02:46 PM

Post imported post

It's unusal for all 4 cylinders not to spark. Have you checked the wires from the ignition?

Brian Rowan
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

BRowan wrote:
Quote:
It's unusal for all 4 cylinders not to spark. Have you checked the wires from the ignition?
Which wires do you mean. The wires from the Spark Units to the ignition coils? or the wires from the ignition switch. This is all new to me. I've never had a problem not getting spark before.

\'81 GL1100 Interstate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 03:44 PM

Model: None
Post imported post

You got me, but all 4 no sparky tells me the common function has failed. Personally I would bake my amps for a couple hours in a warm oven to see if vapor comes out. If the bike actually sat for a number of years, you could also blame failure of dielectrics from wire insulation to compounds that only have a 3 year shelf life. Go through all components and verify each, unsure stop and make sure.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 06:41 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

Hi ttexastim! You might try checking the voltage at the coil primary to see if there's any 12V pulses getting there. On quick and dirty way to check the coils is to clip a wire onto your battery, and momentarily touch it to the terminal on the coil that's not grounded or tied together. Do that after you have disconnected the normal lead from the coil. If you have one plug out and connected tothat coil's HV lead laid on the engine to get a ground you ought to see a spark when you tap the 12V lead onto the coil. If that works then go backward from there. It is unlikely both coils have failed, it could be your ignition switch or dare I say it your kill switch either inadvertently left off or a failure in the switch or wiring. You'd really have an easier time with this problem if you had a manual with a schematic to follow.

It would help if you'd put your bike's year and model in your signature line on your profile so that we'd know which one it is.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 02:07 AM

Model: GL1100I
Post imported post

Sounds like the switch up on the handle bar[right side next to throttle].If it has been setting for a long time you might have a bug nest in that switch. Where is campbell tx?

Welcome to the forum. please go check the event section cause there is going to be a texas meeting in Driftwood Tx [all are invited to attend].

1981 GL1100I Keep it vertical! Fred
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 04:45 AM

Post imported post

Have you recently changed or adjusted the timing belts?
Did you happen to touch the pulse generator?
And Yes, do check the coils and do the easiest method of them all.
The Deduction method.
Your ignition system is not that complicated so, start with the obvious.
The gaps in your plugs.
The ends of your plugs and the plug caps, look for corrosion.
The spark plug wires.
The coils check their values,
The pulse generator,
The ignition timing,
Any safety switches or sensors that turns the ignition on/off,
The Engine stop switch.
Make sure that all the values are in the range recommended by Honda,
Make sure you have good earth and connection between every connector, wire, etc.
There may be some corrosion between connectors since you are dealing with electricity you will always have some corrosion somewhere.
Remove and clean all contacts and do not use normal grease or oils on any connector, ONLY Special electrical grease is to be used on connectors.

Then and only then, If all is working and seems to be OK, BUT it still does not ignite. Start all over again. You just missed something.

Have fun, Drive safe and enjoy your ride.
GL1500SE
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

These are some great tips. I think I know how to approach this thing now. Thanks to y'all for the heads up.

Exavid, I thought the make and model of my bike was showing up. DARN COMPUTERS! This bike is a 1981 GL1100 Interstate. Newest bike I've ever worked on!

Hey Litfuse! Campbell TX is smack in the middle of Dallas and Texarkana. Right on I-30. Nice quite place. Can't wait to ride through some of these FM roads. Real pretty landscape (trees, lakes, blue bonnets). Good to meet a fellow Texan. (I wasn't born here, but I got here as quick as I could! )

\'81 GL1100 Interstate
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 11:48 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

ttexastim wrote:
Quote:
Exavid, I thought the make and model of my bike was showing up. DARN COMPUTERS! This bike is a 1981 GL1100 Interstate. Newest bike I've ever worked on!
Sorry ttexastim, the problem was a short between the headsets at my end. For some reason I never noticed before that when you had the Post entry box up and scrolled back down to read someting in the thread the signature line doesn't show up.

I don't know why it took me only 8200+ posts to notice this.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 01:09 AM

Model: GL1100I
Post imported post

I remember I 30. Coming out of Dallas the day the speed limit went to 70 for trucks. There was a state trooper toeing the white line and shakeing his finger at me. I just moved over into the left lane and hammered on.The poor old truck I was in would only do 69.

I am down here in the southeast corner of the state.Bred, born, raised , will be buried here Texan

Do you need any parts? I have a parts bike that I am slowly get rid of,need anything let me know.Got a smattering of other parts also. Fred

1981 GL1100I Keep it vertical! Fred
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page