Saw that 4 page alarm thing, so thought I'd start a new page. - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1995
Make: Honda
Model: 20th Anniversary edition
Post imported post

Hi Guys,

I have had a fake blinking light on my wing for years. I drilled a small hole in the plastic that covers the handlebars just below the key hole and screwed in a red blinking LED.

I hid a switch nearbyunderneath and put a 9v battery on the bottom side with a drop of silicone goop.

It runs for years.

Also,sometimes when I gofor a ride andI'm within a mile or so where my bike is parked, I have a 2 mile range walkee talkee attached inside the leftside cover.

I havethe Push to talk button depressed with a zip tieso itcontinuously transmits.

I wired it directly to the 12vpower coming from the fuse box, instead of the9v battery.

It works fine, and I can hear people talking about my bike too, when they walk by with the other walkee talkee that I carry.

"Car on two wheels is heard a lot"

IfI ever heard it start up, or some unusual noises, I'd be there in a flash.

I found a picture, see below.

You will also see I have a keyed motion detector alarm attached therealso. If It goes off, I can hear it through my walkee talkee too.

Attached Image (viewed 45 times):

Last edited on Tue Apr 25th, 2006 02:52 pm by Night Flyer

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Do I love Hondas?

Prev. owned:

1962-50&50C-110, 63S-65, S-90, 150(Dream) 305&350 Scrambler, CB400-AutoTrans
71,72&73750s, 75 G-Wing (1st Yr)\' 79 900(10 speed) & 83 1100 I-state.

Now:1995 Aspy 20th Anniversary, 750 Nighthawk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 10:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2wings
Post imported post

Where did you get the LED, it looks like a factory job. Since I am electrically impaired I need the specifics, i.e. what kind of switch did you use? I think I would like to install a light like yours.

Keep on Winging

John Young
92 GL 1500
On the hunt for a Red 2005 1800 with all the fixings
49 Wife ....Keeping the Wife, to much invested
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hi 2wings,

I bought the blinking led from an electronics store for 2 bucks, but radio shack has em too.
It is 12 v, but will blink just fine on the 9 volt battery.

They also sell LED mounts that will make a proffessional looking installation, but I just used a rubber grommet and pushed the led into it.

The switch is the smallest SPST that radio shack makes and I also GOOP'ed it under the cover where I could reach it to turn it on and off at will.

You can pull that cover off and build the whole thing on the bench then pop it back on.
Any deterrant at all is peace of mind, eh?

Ride easy..

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Do I love Hondas?

Prev. owned:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 01:06 AM

Post imported post

Night Flyer wrote:
Quote:
You can pull that cover off and build the whole thing on the bench then pop it back on.
Any deterrant at all is peace of mind, eh?

Ride easy..

That is going to be my next project because we planning on doing a lot of travel this summer so we need all the deterrants we can get.

Keep On Winging

John Young
92 GL 1500
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 01:43 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Bubba
Post imported post

FORGET THE LIGHT I WANT THE KEY FOB LOL

Stupid is as stupid does
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 06:00 AM

Post imported post

Bubba wrote:
Quote:
Me Too

That is worth 3 laughs on the Laugh Meter:

John Young
92 GL 1500
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Bubba wrote:
Quote:
Hey Bubba and 2 Wings,

I spent 6 months on the USS Midway with a Marine Detatchment of RF4B Phantoms out of El Toro in 1976 and loved every minute of the excitement working with those jets on board the carrier.

Well, the Midway was retired in '92, and I was invited and went to the decomissioning ceremony.

It was a sad day. But low and behold, they brought her back to San Diego last year, opened her us as a museumand I became a life member.

She is open from 10:00 am til 4 daily, and you can get into all the restored compartments, engine rooms, mess hall, sick bay, the flight deck, etc. There are lots of restored aircraft on board and even flight simulators in the hangar deck you can fly.

There is a cafe on the fantail for lunch.

I go down 3-4 times a year, and have a lot of fun there, meeting old military types like myself too.

They have a gift shop there. And that is where I got the Key Fob.

That (Remove Before Flight) key fob really has been a subject of conversation since I got it. Got one for my dad too, since he also was a pilot.

Maybe we could meet there sometime and go on board (I can take 6 guests at a time, for free) and I could show you around and you can get the keychains, but otherwise, you can order them online too.

Here's the link.

http://midwaystore.com/keychains.html

and heres the link for the midway:

http://www.midway.org/site/pp.asp?c=...CF&b=81432

Dave

Do I love Hondas?

Prev. owned:

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 11:20 AM

Post imported post

That has been one of my life goals to ride from the eastcoast to the westcoast. If I could muster up some riders or pick some up along the way to keep the trip from being a solo I would come and visit and take you up on the tour. I'll have to work on that.

Keep on Winging

John Young
92 GL 1500
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 11:35 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Patch
Post imported post

Here is a FLASHING LED for use as a fake alarm. It is all pre- wired and all you have to do is drill a hole for it and connect it. It has 3 wires coming off of it.1 wire goes to a constant 12v.source. Another goes to ground and the 3rd wire goes to a switched 12v. source. (12v. with the ignition on - 0v. with ignition off)

When your ignition is turned on, the light will be off. When you turn your ignition off, the light will start to flash.

It is a very easy installation. There is no need for a switch as it switches on andoff with your key. Also, it runs off of your main battery sothere is no need to install a separate battery.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HYPER-RED-FLASHING-LED-FAKE-CAR-ALARM-SIMULATOR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33721QQitemZ8 059829786QQrdZ1

I know that someone will come along and say that hooking this to your battery will cause problems and run your battery down, but this is a SINGLE LED folks. If it will run for years on a little 9v. battery as Night Flyer[/b] attests to, just think how long it would take to run down that large 12v. battery.

P.S. Night Flyer, I placed my order! Love the keychain!

Chris & April Sanders
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 11:50 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Patch
Post imported post

Night Flyer wrote:
Quote:
I bought the blinking led from an electronics store for 2 bucks, but radio shack has em too.
It is 12 v, but will blink just fine on the 9 volt battery.

They also sell LED mounts that will make a proffessional looking installation, but I just used a rubber grommet and pushed the led into it.

The switch is the smallest SPST that radio shack makes and I also GOOP'ed it under the cover where I could reach it to turn it on and off at will.
Better get your goodies from Radio Shack fairly quickly. I was in there a few days ago trying to purchase some parts for a headset and they areclearing their shelves. They don't carry speakers any more. They are getting rid of most of their electronic components and everything else. I asked the Store Manager why they were getting rid of so much stuff.

He told me that Radio Shack's new push is into the Cell Phone and Satellite T.V. market. He went on to state that by years end, when you walk into a Radio Shack, that is what they will have for sale. Cell Phones and accessories, Satellite T.V. dishes and accessories and service plans for each. They are getting out of the electronics and electronic component market.

Damn shame! I liked the Radio Shack of old. Could always get some pretty neat things there and build some really cool stuff.

Chris & April Sanders
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page