knock knock - what's there ? GL1000 engine - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I do not know if this just started or if it is because the bike is so quiet now that I can hear. When I first start it up, sounds like a sewing machine (which is good in my way of thinking). No noises.
As the bike heats up, it starts knocking. It does not sound like it is falling apart, but it is a knock, goes with the rpm's.
warmer it gets, louder it gets.
so - any ideas what the knock is ?
Thanks

77 GL1000 - forever in your debt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 05:50 PM

Post imported post

Did you ever put the oil pressure on your motor? Might see something like pressure dropping when the rpm's lower down pointing to a rod. Does it knock the loudest when you 'float' the motor? Or is it the loudest under aload?

87 GL1200I Grey
03 GL1800 Red
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 11:18 PM

Post imported post

Putstraight pipes on it, cures that knocking everytime!A really good radio with lots of speakers might help too

Just kidding don, but I used to "cure" my cars engine noises that way when I was a teenager. Headers and hard rock "What rod knock?"

81 Interstate (the fastest color)
98 suzuki RM 125 (just plain mean)
95 suzuki DR 350 (dual sport)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I borrowed the oil pressure gauge last time, am going to have to go get it again. Hmmm, seems about the same whether float or load. Temperature seems to be the biggest factor. Warmer engine gets...........
will check pressure. Thanks

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 09:50 AM

Post imported post

don_berry wrote:
Quote:
I do not know if this just started or if it is because the bike is so quiet now that I can hear. When I first start it up, sounds like a sewing machine (which is good in my way of thinking). No noises.
As the bike heats up, it starts knocking. It does not sound like it is falling apart, but it is a knock, goes with the rpm's.
warmer it gets, louder it gets.
so - any ideas what the knock is ?
Thanks
Don, that sounds a lot like the internal drive chain is getting noisy.. That is a very common problem on the early Wings.. There is no adjustment on the chain tension & being a little loose & noisy won't hurt anything..

Another cause of engine knocks & internal noises is the carbs being out of sync.. Even a little carb sync difference will cause a cylinder to not pull it's share of the load or try to pull too much of the load & the engine then fires unevenly & knocks a little..

It wouldn't hurt to run an oil pressure test but without knowing where it was before the knock started you won't know if that has any effect on the noise..

You haven't just switched to a shorty helmet have you.. When I first go to my shorty helmet for the summer I hear all kinds of new engine noises..

Twisty

Only a motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the window!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

twisty - no. same helmet. Biggest thing on that side is the new muffler installation. I had this before bike was stolen, just got in on. It is exponentially quieter then previous rusty holed muffler. Now all I hear is engine.
Just worried me as it gets worse warmer bike gets.
Would a chain make a knocking noise ? I figured it was more of a whirring noise ?
Never thought about carb synch, I have not done that since getting bike back. Will go do that now. Is kind of hard to tell, but does seem more pronounced on right side, cylinders 2 and 4, will have to research that more.
Thanks for the info

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 11:07 AM

Model: GL1000
Post imported post

Hi Don
I just installed another engine in my 75, and i guess removing and replacing the exhaust (with old gaskets) made it quieter for me too. I have had all kinds of new noises, and the reason i had to replace it in the first place was a thrown rod, so i am paranoid. Carb is very common, and the right side seems to always magnify sounds. Perhaps it's that fuel pump hanging out on the end with all that surface area...
To put your mind at ease pull your oil filter cover and look for fine metallics.
Or else primary chain noise could be with the oil getting thinner at warmup.
It must be pretty warm down where you are, and i've wondered why the gl states the same oil grade regardless of outside temp. (at least that's what i've seen.)
Though that rusty holed muffler you used to have is gonna change up your carb settings. You could open some of the carb sync vacuum screws and see if the knock changes a little.
My 2 scents. (gas and dead bugs.)

1975 GL1000
If Goldwings were whiskey they'd always be served neat.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 08:17 PM

Post imported post

Don if it is the primary chain then you can tell for sure by pulling the clutch in and see if the noise goes away. It is kind of a knock sound but different than a rod knock.

Whiskerfish
2008 GL1800 Base

1978/9 Dressed daily rider 45k miles

1975 Nekid Noisy and Nasty
1975 Nekid in pieces parts
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

hey, reading thru anothers post about synthetic oil, just curious if this could be my problem and make it noiser ? I just put in Mobil 1 synthetic oil 10w 40 . I was using havoline before this. Could that make it noisier ?

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page