Replacement Exhaust, Muffler, Header Assemby??? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Where does one go to find a replacement exhaust system for a 1981 GL 1100 I? Is their such a thing as an OEM replacement or facsimile? No joke.

I saw a chrome system made by MAC for around $450.00, that's for header, muffler and exhaust pipe and it is all bolt on ready, but doesn't look at all like the original, I wonder how it sounds, wears, and helps the engine breath?

Need some options please.

glcxrider

1981 Goldwing GL1100 I &
CJ Style Sidecar
1979 CX 500 Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 11:44 PM

Post imported post

here is one place u can look, also, JC whitney
http://www.wingthings-texas.com/

77 GL1000 - forever in your debt
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

don-berry: Thanks for the listing, the MAC they advertise is about ten dollars more than what I can get it locally, but the Jandane I think, looks to be a better unit but about $40.00 + more, I didn't check to see what the shipping charges may be, if any. If their was, I'd have to think long and hard. $500.00 is a large chunk of change to spend on something you haven't seen or heard on a similar Goldwing.

Does anyone have a after market exhaust on their Goldwing, preferably a 1981 GL 1100 I.

Anything else out their to consider?

glcxrider

1981 Goldwing GL1100 I &
CJ Style Sidecar
1979 CX 500 Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 02:00 AM
The Irish Crew

Model: GL1100 Interstate
Post imported post

The Honda system is probably more than double that price. Motad do a system that looks like OEM, but is a few inches shorter. I think that's the one which most closely resembles the OEM's.

Alan Fitzpatrick.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 05:06 AM

Post imported post

glcxrider wrote:
Quote:
don-berry: Thanks for the listing, the MAC they advertise is about ten dollars more than what I can get it locally, but the Jandane I think, looks to be a better unit but about $40.00 + more, I didn't check to see what the shipping charges may be, if any. If their was, I'd have to think long and hard. $500.00 is a large chunk of change to spend on something you haven't seen or heard on a similar Goldwing.

Does anyone have a after market exhaust on their Goldwing, preferably a 1981 GL 1100 I.

Anything else out their to consider?

glcxrider
$500 is a lot to spend on an:P 81 wing.HAve you thought about aftermarket slip ons.You can fabricate the couplings.It may be less than $500. to have a shop fit them.

Axelwick and I have made some post regarding installing Harley sportster pipes on our wings.Sportster pipes are around $20. on ebay.$20. for some pipe to be bent at Midas or your local mufler shop.Axelwick was able to clamp straight on to his manifold.

I wasnt so lucky.My manifold is not true and round.Its oblong.I had to insert a pipe I/D of teh manifold,between manifold and bent pipe.All was welded and clamped to the sportser mufflers.

Not all that loud( I never heard my wing with its true exhaust,Mine were rusted through) I get heard turnage when i come down the block but not enough to peak Officers interests.

Loud pipes save lives.Quiet pipes save our rights.
1982 GL1100 interstate.
1st time bike owner.about 180 milesso far 3/18/2006
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 07:07 AM

Year: 2014
Model: GL1800 Airbag
Garage
Post imported post

glcxrider, I have aftermarket MAC's on my GL1200, They are definitely louder than stock exhaust. The jury was out on the sound for the first while that I had them, but after riding with them for a while I love the sound, They are not unreasonably load like some un-named models (HD) LOL. They have a deep tone to them that just fits right in after a while.

Bob Smith
NASSIR 4 Pictures
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wild Rhinos - Ontario Chapter

2014 GL1800 Airbag
2007 V Star 1300 (Hers)
2000 Shadow A.C.E. Deluxe 750 (Sons)
Previously owned: 1985 GL1200 A - (2X)2000 GL1500A

If you don't stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 11:55 AM

Model: GL1100I
Post imported post

www.cycle-parts-usa.com

1981 GL1100I Keep it vertical! Fred
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 06:36 PM

Post imported post

I have the jardines on my 81 interstate....the picture is in the gallery.... I love em. They are louder than stock for sure but not Harley loud.. I showed up at SC goldwing rally 2 weeks ago and one of the first comments I overheard was "did you hear that wing? DAMN it soundedgood" New system comes with everything except exhaust gaskets at the heads. You'll hafta get them somewhere else (i got mine from honda) Also, I personally dont think that the stock system even comes close in the looks department. The Jardine system is MUCH better looking, and is all chrome, not sheilds over ugly cast iron

Throttle response is greatly improved... my wing runs like a scalded dog especially in the "light to light" 0-60 sort of runs

One peice of advice, order some inside the pipe coating to help stop the chrome from blueing. this HAS to be done before you ever run exhaust thru them. Coat the headpipes well. I installed mine without coating them and I have to rub the blue off much more often than I would have if I had coated them. Coating manufacturer states clearly that the coating will never stick properly if exhausthas EVER been run thru pipes..... I didnt know it when I installed them so I'm stuck with pipe coating I cant use, and my pipes blue more than what I wish.

you should wait for whitney to have a sale, I bought my system from them in the low $300 range (like 325) but I had a 10% off coupon and also I bought over $1000 at one time which gave me some other discount. Whitney is always running some kind of promotion, at a minimum free shipping. the website price is not always the same as the catalog price either. matter of fact the catalog price is usually better and will include addtional discount coupons.

81 Interstate (the fastest color)
98 suzuki RM 125 (just plain mean)
95 suzuki DR 350 (dual sport)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 07:36 PM

Post imported post

I have Jardene system on a 1000 and a completely stock system on another 1000. With them both running you can not hear the stock pipes at all. The Jardene's are definetly louder. Not unpleasant but louder. I had them on my dresser for a while but with console speakers the noise got old having to crank up the music all the time. So I got a OEM System from ebay for thatand am much happier now. There is no increase/ decreasein performance that I noticedbetween the two systems.

Yes the Jardene Headersdo Blue easily.

Whiskerfish
2008 GL1800 Base

1978/9 Dressed daily rider 45k miles

1975 Nekid Noisy and Nasty
1975 Nekid in pieces parts
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 09:02 PM

Post imported post

Whiskerfish, say you did not notice any performance difference between the stock and jardine systems? Man, mine was like night and day. Perhaps my old system was causing me some kind of problem that I didnt know about, because with the stock pipes my wing was a slow dog, its performance was vastly improved with the jardines.

Thats the good thing about the forum, more than one opinion from more than one persons experience. Apparently performance MAY or MAY not improve with the new system (your results may vary) I agree that the radio does require a bit of cranking up now and is mostly useless on the highway, but the wing itself is so much better sounding nowthat I dont care too much about the radio.

Blueing drives me crazy!... all that chrome....with COLORS on it.... AARRRRGGGGH!!!

81 Interstate (the fastest color)
98 suzuki RM 125 (just plain mean)
95 suzuki DR 350 (dual sport)
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page