starting trouble - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

This is my first time on this forum.From what i have seen it is a welth of knowledge.My problem is i have a 88 1500.It will start fine for awhile maybe a week then all at once it wont start.Just get a clicking sound.Let it set for sometimes a hour other times a day and they its ok for a week again.Have a new battery have put 2 starter solinoids in it and had the starter rebuilt.Iam stumped.Would appricate any help from you gurus.

1988 Wing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 02:10 PM

Year: 2003
Model: GL1800
Send a message via Yahoo to wexy
Post imported post

sounds like a relay to me ,try swopping the relay with another one of the same value and see will that cure it ,,cheers Ciaran

CIARAN (pronounced Keeron)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yes it is Gaelic
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 02:15 PM

Post imported post

Starter button gets dirty and can cause problems.....Have you tried rocking the swtich as you press it in to see if things will fire up?.....It can be taken apart and cleaned with a contact cleaner solution but it's not for the faint of heart....Sounds like your problem is either there or in a relay in the starter circuit....A good manual would be very helpful in running the problem down....

\'96 GL1500A Pearl Green Trike and
\'86 GL1200 SEI

Gayle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 02:42 PM

Model: None
Post imported post

Going backwards it could be dirt, rust, loose connections, worn starter, brushes at their limit, loose connection internal of the starter motor, corrosion on any or all high powered wires, corrosion on any or all control components and wires, poor contact on the handle bar switch, relay is loose, dirty, burned, corroded. Then on the other side that is the grounded side, repeat the above. Especially the motor negative lead side is failing or failed.

Try starting the bike from an external source, a jumper and if it goes then your problem is anything leading to the starter motor. Isolate any and all probable things in that power circuit.

Also could be that the starter is doing its job, but the job now is over rated because of binding, gobs of grease, worn parts.

You need to isolate the electrical from the mechanical. EG switch kill to no run and see if it attempts a start. Compression too high, binding.....
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 07:20 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to RonSena
Post imported post

Welcome to the Forum

I think you may want to invest in a trickle carger for te bike and hook it up when you are not riding.

The Wings have a constant low battery drain and once your battery gets below level for starting. She ain't gonna start...

Try wallyworld or one of the auto shops in your area, but be sure to get a low amp charger just for keeping up the battery.

Ron

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thank you guys for your imput the next time it acts up i'll check these thing and post what i find.

1988 Wing
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2006, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

once again i would like to thank everybody for there ideas.It appears that i might have it fixed now. I used contact cleaner and sprayed it in around the starter button,so far it hasn't acted up again.

1988 Wing
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2006, 10:21 PM

Post imported post

Dkfrs, I had the same problem with my 1100. I took the starter to a local starter rebuilder and had him rebuild the starter. I thought that he would put brushes in it. When I picked it up I ask if they put brushes in it. He said they bushed it and turned the armature. I knew it needed brushes and a little work on the brush plate. The started drug but it would crank the bike. It worked ok for a few months. One day I was in a tight spot and hit my starter and click, click. I took it off and inspected it and one of the brushes was sticking in the brush holder. I bought new brushes and installed them and no more dragging or click works like a new one. I would say it is probably your button or the brushes. I guess the rebuilders don’t like to put brushes in a starter unless they absolutely have to because of the price. Good Luck and Good riding

Loyd

1983 Goldwing GL 1100 I Wineberry
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page