Driving/Fog Lights - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to staticman4414
Post imported post

Hey there, I am new to the forums, and have already learned alot by just reading many articals. I bought my first goldwing a GL1200 about 9 months ago and I recently upgraded to a GL1500. So far I am very happy with the upgrade. I have had a few minor issues, but only only thing so far I have not been able to solve.

The GL1500 has some generic aftermarket fog lights or driving lights mounted under the headlight on both sides. They worked when I bought it, but I only had tried them for a few seconds. On my first trip out, which happened to be at night, I tried them out again and turned them on. They worked fine for about 5 minutes, and then went out. Apon inspection at a gas station I found that a power wire from the lights was running the ACC terminal on the top of the fuse box behind the left side panel under the seat. The fuse was blown, and it had a 30amp fuse in it... I got ready to replace the fuse, and looked to make sure 30 amp was proper, that is when I saw it said 5 amp. So I choose to wait and not replace it at the moment. I waitted till the next day, while still on the road, and read the manual which stated to not exceed 5 amps. I figured the fog lights needed more than 5 amps, so I reran the wire directly to the battery, and put an inline fuse in place. It still blew the fuse out almost imediately. So I decided there must be a short. I waited till I got home and could inspect the circuit further. Come to find out, the lights are hooked to a relay, under the left fairing pocket, that appears to be added on. The switch operated the relay and the relay turned on the lights. There is a 30 amp fuse inline with the relay, so I decided to take the fuse I added out. Well the lights seemed to work better, but once again after about 15 minutes, they blew the other fuse up by the relay. I have checked the wires for shorts or bare spot, and everything looks good. I have unplugged the lights right at the light, and tested the wires with a continuity testerto see if I could find a short from positive to negative, and found nothing.

So after all this, my question is, do you think I have another problem, or is a 30amp fuse to small. I am not one to just put another larger fuse in, when I figure there might be a reason it is blowing. I am not a fan of electrical fires...

Thanks,

Static

Static
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 02:32 PM

Model: None
Post imported post

What I am about to tell you is based on fact. I need more information from you. What I need is the wattage of the total set of the fog lights and the ratings on the relay. But since I have not got these I will make assumptions: 1-the wattage is 110 W for the lamps and 2: The relay is built strong enough to handle the load.

At 110 W and 12 volts, the amps draw is 9.2 ADC
The relay will have a 12 VDC coil and a current capacity of 20 A.

The switch that turns on the relay will be fuse protected from another source.
The fuse protecting the fog lights will be 12 A-15A slow blow.

See the attached sketch, ground the lights separately with wire, do not rely on the frame only. The lights draw 9.2 amps so fuse them at 125% or 9.2 x 1.25 = 11.5 get a 12 A. Use slow blow because of the heat generated by the lamps. Be sure all wire is #14-12, multi strand and oil gas temp protected, 110 C rated minimum. All connections should be soldered or marine crimp connector with the proper crimp tool. All wire is to be ty-wrapped. Be sure the handle bar switch is fused for the coil of the relay. Be sure the load side of the relay, the fog lights are fused.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 02:34 PM

Model: None
Post imported post

Diagram
Attached Images
File Type: gif Fog Light Wiring.GIF (3.5 KB, 71 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 06:38 AM

Post imported post

Good job arknapp!, i notice my 1500 is simalar type of set up, inline fuse to foglights from batt using #12 stranded wire to spots with a 20 amp 12v relay in line too, but i have the relay tied into the high beam wire soldered, so the high beam when turned on powers the relay to turn on the fog lights,so very little voltage from the high beam power wire where patched at the headlight is needed to trip the relay and power the spots, never thought of putting a fuse inline from the high beam power wire to the relay, never thought it was needed but maybe i am wrong, anyhow great info from you,

thank's john n2xwv

1988 gl 1500 goldwing ,,
There is nothing better than a wing!!
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page