Oil Filter Screen - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

While reading up on the oil change procedure, my first for this bike, it says to remove the oil filter screen, I assume to clean and inspect it, but given the age and that this GW has had a questionable service history, would it be advisable to just replace it even if it looks OK. I don't know what a good one would look like anyway and cleaning it seems like a waist of time, if you have it out anyway, unless they cost more than a gallon of gas.

Also, it say to kick over the engine a couple of times with the key off, but since I don't have a kick start, would it be OK to turn the engine over a few times with with the kill switch on? It says this helps to get the oil out of area of the engine that draining alone won't get.

glcxrider

1981 Goldwing GL1100 I &
CJ Style Sidecar
1979 CX 500 Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 07:04 AM

Post imported post

Not knowing what model Wing you have, generally speaking, the oil screen in any engine is designed to be removed, cleaned and re-installed with new seals. There may be several discs that resembledoor screening, but extremely fine mesh. What one screen misses, the others will catch. They can be cleaned in any type of solvent (I use gasoline) and reassembled in the order in which you take them apart. Other types of screens are just a bundle of fine wire mesh contained in a cylinder which is removeable. In most cases, wire screen filters are expensive to replace with the original configuration, so cleaning the old one is most cost effective.

On the other hand, if you prefer, you can replace the OEM screen filter with a conversion kit and install a spin-on oil filter from that point on.

I have never heard of "kicking" the engine over to get the last drop of oil out of the engine. Of course, I also do not have your repair manual in front of me either. Can't imagine where the oil would hang out after draining the crank case. All the internal oil galeries are gravity fed to the point of origin, (the crank case) and should drain after shut down. Just a note. When I change the oil & filter on any motorcycle engine, I crank it over with the kill switch "off" until the oil light goes out. Then, turn the kill switch on and start the engine.. That way, oil pressure is up when the pistons fire..

Old Nam Vet
LZ English 66 - 67
New \'08 Titanium Nav
I\'m old and wise, but was once young and stupid.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Renegade: First, don't take any of the following as an affrontor slight, it's just been a long night not sleeping, dueto disabilities I suffer from, I'm only glad it doesn't happen every day or night.

I was told repeatedly, that I should list my motorcycle year, make, and model in the signature, that shows up at the bottom of the post.Did I do this for no reason?I list two motorcycles, but since this is a Goldwing site, I'm sure it should be obvious which one I am talking about.

The information on the Oil change, I got from the Clymer manual, page 25, chapter on Oil and Filter Change, step # 7. "Let oil drain at least 10 minutes. Operate kickstarter several time to drain oil caught in the engine".

Since the oil screen is made to be cleaned, I gues then, I clean and reinstall it during each oil and filter change.

If you are reading this from email, and my signature does not list my Goldwing, for you and others who may want to know, it is a 1981 GL 1100 I My other motorcycle is a 1979 HondaCX 500 Custom.

glcxrider

1981 Goldwing GL1100 I &
CJ Style Sidecar
1979 CX 500 Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 08:49 AM

Year: 1983
Model: 1983 Honda Goldwing GL1100A Aspencade
Post imported post

Hey glcxrider, to get to the oil screen door, you'll have to remove the right engine guard then drop the mufflers (Just take the bolts off at the head on both sides and they should drop down). You will see the door. There will be a couple of bolts that will be difficult to get to so just use a pry bar, easy, to move things.

Here is a helpful post on the subject:

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/9844.html

~teacher~~~

~Butch~~~
1983 GL1100A,Wineberry
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 10:05 AM

Post imported post

the screen is a fine wire mesh, it basically prevents anything of size from getting into the system, the finer things are removed by the filter... it can jst be cleaned... mother honda wants about $13 for the screen
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 10:52 AM

Post imported post

No problem glcxrider... I lost control for a moment there... Like I mentioned, I do not have the repair manual in front of me, so what information I provide is for your digestion. It's not written in stone.. Sorry.

Working on these older bikes can be a nightmare, so we try to keep the site as informative as possible. The information posted here is in no way critical or deceptive and is meant only to help and guide us all..

I've attached your post, and as you can see, which is what I see, there is no indication of exactly what model MC you were asking about... The GW icon at the end can mean anything... Again, my appologies..

Posted: Thu Jun 22nd, 2006 06:24 am

While reading up on the oil change procedure, my first for this bike, it says to remove the oil filter screen, I assume to clean and inspect it, but given the age and that this GW has had a questionable service history, would it be advisable to just replace it even if it looks OK. I don't know what a good one would look like anyway and cleaning it seems like a waist of time, if you have it out anyway, unless they cost more than a gallon of gas.

Also, it say to kick over the engine a couple of times with the key off, but since I don't have a kick start, would it be OK to turn the engine over a few times with with the kill switch on? It says this helps to get the oil out of area of the engine that draining alone won't get.

glcxrider

Your Avatar also does not show any mention of what type MC you need help on...

[align=right]Joined:
Fri May 27th, 2005

Mana:
[/align]
All that said, I hope we can see you thru getting your Wing running and properly maintained. Most importantly, fixing these bikes should be fun and that's how we like to keep this site...

Renegade

Old Nam Vet
LZ English 66 - 67
New \'08 Titanium Nav
I\'m old and wise, but was once young and stupid.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

That's really strange Renegade:

At the bottom of your post I can read "Too Old To Live, Too Fast To Die
Nam Vet"

I can also readon other's posts, what they have written, most of which are descriptions of their Goldwings.

I wonder if anyone else is have problems reading the ID of my motorcycles at the lower left hand corner, of my posts?

It's kind of discouraging when you try to oblige the group and do something, then it can't be seen by all.

glcxrider

p.s. The reason for the Goldwing Icon, is because mine is Blue also with someflames, that you barely notice, unless you are looking at it right.

1981 Goldwing GL1100 I &
CJ Style Sidecar
1979 CX 500 Custom
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 02:22 PM

Model: '02 1800
Send a message via Yahoo to Ruaidh
Post imported post

glcxrider wrote:
Quote:
The owner and repair manuals I had for my 83i both said to turn the engine over a few timeswith the kill switch turned off (on?) so that the engine wouldn't start. I was surprised at how much oil came out when I did. Not that it was a quart or so, but probably around 6-8 ounces. I don't think it would have seriously contaminated the new oil but it certainly kept it cleaner after the change.

Now I don't remember if the instructions for the 85a were the same but I did the same thing and got about the same amount out. I am sure that with any engine that requires replacement of oil and filters that there will always be a certain amount of old oil left inside unless you flushed it out, but I was jsut trying to improve the ratio of dirty/old to clean/new.

And I am sure one of the gurus will be along to give you an answer that makes sense too!

Ruaidh

To know what is right and not act accordingly is the worst cowardice. - Confucius

Words, unwritten, have no value. - Caius Merlinus Brittanicus

Yellow '02 1800
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 07:29 PM

Post imported post

glcxrider wrote:
Quote:
That's really strange Renegade:

At the bottom of your post I can read "Too Old To Live, Too Fast To Die
Nam Vet"

I can also readon other's posts, what they have written, most of which are descriptions of their Goldwings.

I wonder if anyone else is have problems reading the ID of my motorcycles at the lower left hand corner, of my posts?

It's kind of discouraging when you try to oblige the group and do something, then it can't be seen by all.

glcxrider

p.s. The reason for the Goldwing Icon, is because mine is Blue also with someflames, that you barely notice, unless you are looking at it right.

Well, I can see your bike in your signature line, but earlier it wasn't there.

Mike
Now in limbo trying to decide what I want to get.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 12:39 PM

Model: 2005 ABS
Post imported post

This is my first oil change i have a 1987 1200I and all ready i have one question first step was to take oil filter off done.Question number 1 all i have is the filter i don't have a cap around the filter is this a problem?

Second the drain plug is there a better picture or something that show were the plug is?I'm looking at a 9/16 bolt is this it it to the right of the filter?

Thanks for your help i need this done today because i'm going on a toys for tots run in the morning.

Vice President, Chapter 239
Star Touring & Riding
Middlesex County MA
Patroit Guard Member
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page