Shaking fairing? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Should the fairing on a gl1100 rattle or shake at all on bumps and potholes?
My Dad used to own an aspencade and claims that it should stay rock solid. Mine shakes.

Thanks

1981 GL1100 (the tourer)
2004 Roadstar (the bar-hopper)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 05:46 PM

Model: 1982 GL1100I (Sold); 2012 GL1800 VII
Post imported post

Now Winterhawk, you should always listen to your dad. As usual, he is right, it should be rock solid. Something is either loose or broken. Fairing to mounting bracket or mounting bracket to frame.

Jack
2012 GL1800A
2004 GL1800A Sold
1982 GL1100I Sold
1975 GL1000 Sold
1974 CB450 Sold
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Crap. Thats the answer I didn't want to hear.

1981 GL1100 (the tourer)
2004 Roadstar (the bar-hopper)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 06:06 PM

Model: 1982 GL1100I (Sold); 2012 GL1800 VII
Post imported post

Pull the fairing lowers off (three screws on each) you will be able to see almost everything. There are four bolts around the lower front that hold the fairing to the arms and there are two bolts on each side that mount the sides of the fairing to the top of the mounting bracket. The mounting bracket is held on the frame by a bolt through the top that runs just behind the steering head and a "U" bolt on each side that holds the bottom of the mounting bracket to the frame.

Jack
2012 GL1800A
2004 GL1800A Sold
1982 GL1100I Sold
1975 GL1000 Sold
1974 CB450 Sold
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 09:22 AM

Post imported post

Even after replacing my fairing I notice some noise going over big bumps, especially speed bumps and potholes. I found that most of my noise is internal...the wiring, connectors for the radio and intercoms, et cetera. I also found that some of the noise I thought was from the fairing was from the top rear trunk...but I couldn't tell at first because with a helmet on, noises from the front and rear seem to be the same. I had to ride around the parking lot helmet-less to figure it out.

Now all I have to do is wrap the clunky audio connectors in foam wrap and I'm sure my sounds will all but disappear.

Jack
(in Va.)

1983 GL1100 Interstate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 03:38 PM

Post imported post

Greetings,

My 83I had a shaky fairing and as it turned out the whole right side where the studs come through had broken. I had a literal jig saw puzzle of broken plastic pieces to deal with. Plus, there was a crack coming up from the bottom on the inside part of the fairing.Fudge meI said,(or something like that). I debated taking it to a car body shop but the cost was a factor at that time.I removed the fairing,and BTW the screws that stick outof the bottom of the fairing also attach the amp inside the fairing. You'vegot to be careful when you take fairing off as that amp is now not attached to anything and it weighs a bit. Good potential for it falling and breaking something inside.

So, I got some ABS epoxy and some fiberglass cloth and went to work. First, I took all of the pieces that remained(surprisingly I didn't loose any pieces) and put them together dry to see what was going to be involved in the re-assembly since once you mix the epoxy you only have a few minutes to stick things together. Then I mixed up a small amount and started gluing things back together. I had one piece that the only way it would fit was pushing onit from inside the fairing as when it broke, the edges were beveled in such a way that it wouldn't fit in from the outside. I pondered this and came across a solution: I drilled a small hole in it and screwed in a long sheet metal screw as a handle. This way I didn't have to figure out how to get my arm inside the fairing to push the piece in. Once all the pieces were in place and set up I then used the fiberglass cloth and massaged the epoxy into the cloth to attach it to the re-assembled parts. I also did this to the inside(what a bitch for someone who has large hands)of the fairing working through the pocket. When this mess all cured, I trimed the cloth fuzzies offwith a razor blade and put the fairing back on the bike. After putting the nuts back on the left and front side of the brackets, I then drilled the new holes for the amp/studs using the holes in the right bracket to make sure every thing was aligned properly. Presto, she is feexed!! This repair has held up for the last year and a half with no more shaky fairing.

Sorry this is so long but I thought you might like to know what's involved.

Hobie

Mark
Wineberry 1983 Interstate
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page