GL1500 Cruise Control and Emissions control equipment - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hi All

Another newbie question. As I've mentioned previously, I've picked up a 12000 mile 1988 GL1500. The bike is an american import and I've now worked out it is a california spec bike with all the emission control gear on it.

I'm wondering how this equipment affects the performance, or more specifically the fuel economy and if it is possible (and relatively straightforward) to remove. Would removal offer any benefits? I only ask as the bike does seem to drink quite a lot of fuel (very conservatively ridden, two up, low 30's to the gallon), and I wondered if any of the emissions stuff could be to blame. The exhaust smells very "rich" even when not running on choke.

The next thing is the cruise control does not work. I've not done any diagnosis yet. Pressing the switchlights the cruise on light, but the system will not engage. I've got a manual and will start diagnosis, but wondered if there are any common problems or weak points that I can look at first, prior to stripping the whole bike and metering everything out.

Thanks for any advice.

Ian

88\' GL1500 (On the road and on Ebay)
05\' ZZR 1200 (Still blindingly fast and ultra reliable)

Hamcalls G7DWY & M0INB. Call me if you hear me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 07:35 AM

Post imported post

Ian I have a 1987 Asp. when I had problems with my cruise it was always with the brake. The switch's werent set right, my foot was touching the brake pedal, or the hand lever wasnt out all the way. Check these out. Also the clutch lever.

Alski [ Lord, please make me as good as my dog thinks I am!]
1987 Aspencade - Black
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 09:52 AM

Year: 2003
Model: GL1800
Send a message via Yahoo to wexy
Post imported post

Not sure about the emission gear ,,But the cruise control problem is with either the clutch lever or the front brake levers ,,If there are chrome ones fitted you may need to file them a little bit where the lever hits the micro switch for the cruise ,,Put your ear near to the levers ,and move them in and out slightly ,you should hear a click from the micro switches ,,If they are not clicking then the lever needs to be filed back a bit ,,Cheers Ciaran

CIARAN (pronounced Keeron)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yes it is Gaelic
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 08:47 AM

Post imported post

I agree with the cruise diagnosis. Usually the switches for the hand levers, the bushings are replaceable.

Smells rich, low mileage...ever see any dampness in the tray around the fuel filler cap? Any hard starting when cold?

The older 1500's have issues with vacuum lines, they get hot under the cowlingsthat age and UV affects all rubber parts. Check for vacuum leaks, or a bad vacuum petcock.

A bad petcock will cause harder starting as less fuel will be allowed through the petcock because the vacuum leak will not allow it to fully open at cranking speeds. It will also cause lower mileage if both diaphragms are leaking because it will pull fuel into the middle cylinder on the right side, check that plug. The petcock is a common enough problem that most dealers stock the part.

Tony
89 GL1500
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies. Dealing with the poor economy first, I've not noticed any smell of fuel around the bike, and it starts immediately, hot or cold. The only sign of anything being slightly amiss is a tendancy to almost die when returning to idle from a throttle blip. It could well be something as simple as a blocked air filter - I've got one on order and am putting off stripping the bike until I have all the parts in my hands. (I am also going to replace all break pads and fluids as I imagine it's on the 18 year old originals given it's low mileage )

All the levers are original, and you can hear the microswitches clicking (one on the clutch, two on the front brake lever) I know this does not guarantee they are working but I think it is a reasonably safe bet. I'm suspecting a rear brake switch, although the brake light works. I'll know more after I get it pulled down.

I'll post if I get to the bottom of any of the problems.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

My God! I must be tired! I can't believe I typed "break" when I meant "brake"!!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Just in case any of you are interested, I have the bike stripped at the moment and started checking things last night.

Although I haven't metered them at the moment, all the handle bar switches can be heard clicking, but the rear brake switch was definately out of adjustment and has now been rectified (lots of cursing and swearing!!)

Hopefully that will cure the problem. Now all I have to do is put it back together again!

Cheers

Ian

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > General > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page