Timing, timing, timing - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Lew

Post imported post

1981 Gl1100
I pulled the engine and replaced the starter clutch. (not one of my favorite jobs)
By pulling the rear cover, is there any way that I could have changed the timing? It was running great before I pulled it and now all I get are a few pops. I have spark and fuel. (I even shot some starting fluid into the cylinders.) Thanks, Lew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 11:07 AM

Post imported post

Lew.. Go back over the job.. After you have had time to relax and get a good night's sleep.. Take it a step at a time.. (Don't pull the engine again), but look at every wiring connection that you took apart for breaks, poor connections, pinched behind a bolt or bracket. Inspect the fuel lines for kinks. Make sure the fuel petcock is in the "ON" position. Fuel in the tank. Check everything you put your hands on when you were pulling the engine..

Example: There is a ground wire on the 1200's (not your bike, I know) that sits behind the left engine upper mount that I have forgotten to install because it was hidden.. Dumb things like what I did will drive you crazy...

If you did not mess with the ignition, timing belts or carb adjustment when pulling the engine, it has to be something overlooked...

Take a couple days off and tackle it again...

Renegade

Old Nam Vet
LZ English 66 - 67
New \'08 Titanium Nav
I\'m old and wise, but was once young and stupid.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 11:21 AM

Model: 83 GL 1100 I
Garage
Post imported post

did you do it per manual ?? one step at a time? puts me in mind of being 180 out.did you put the pins back in the cdi unit drive? if not this would let the timing move. wayn,just a guess???

1979 gl1000 dressed --back to naked
1980 gl1100 interstate --side lined
1983 gl1100 interstate the fastest color--RED
retired trucker---going to see it again ----on 2 wheels---love it--love it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Lew

Post imported post

Greetings again,
I wanted to check with you members before I pulled the timing belt covers. The radiator is installed and filled. That makes the job areal knuckle buster. Is it possible to move the radiator out a little while still connected. Thanks, Lew
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 11:53 AM
fgh

Model: GL1100 Aspy
Post imported post

I didn't try to do it, but other people have. It worked out OK for them. There is no way you could have changed the timing belt alignment when you removed the rear cover. Did you get the plug wires installed back on the correct cylinders and are the coils wired with the correct leads?

fgh
\'83 Aspy
\'83 GS750ES
If it ain\'t broke you can\'t fix it!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Lew

Post imported post

I hate to ask this!!! What pins in the cdi??? As I remember it slid inbt a knotch. I did rotate the engine while the back cover was off. Could that have put me 180 out??? Thanks, Lew
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 09:00 AM

Garage
Post imported post

do you have at least one or more mamual`s that cover your bike year and modle?? if so whitch one`s? wayne.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Lew

Post imported post

Thanks for your reply----I have Clymer---which doesn't give any information on the CDI
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 10:19 AM

Garage
Post imported post

ok--what you want to look at is the drive shaft for the c d i unit. it has the mech adv part bolted to it. if you remove the mech adv from the shaft you`ll see a pin . should be in the 6 oclok position. if on #1 fireing. ater the back case is removed there is another part of the shaft that is pined to another shaft. this pin should be in the 12 oclock ,#1 fireing. these are the pins i was talking about.

one other thought---how many bolts did you take out to remove the c d i unit and vac adv unit?? should have taken out three of`em. the forth one thats in there is plate hold down. short one. hope this helps. it looks like if you have missed a pin that you would be able to put a wench on the mech adv retaining bolt ant turn it clockwise.. carefull here---not too much pressure!!! dont want to break off the bolt or turn over the engine. just see if there is movement in the shaft joints. there shouldn`t be any. about as clear as mud?? hope you can make some sence out of this. wayne..

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Lew

Post imported post

Greetings, I left the CDI bolted to the back plate. I did rotate the engine while the back plate was off. Thanks, Lew
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page