Oil Change question 1977 GL1000 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I have a question. I was changing the oil filter on my'77 GL1000for the first time and put in the new filter like the old one came out. After I had tightened up everything, I went inside and looked at my manual online only to find that there is a spring that goes between the filter and the cover. It looked like it was about 1 1/2 inches tall and about 1/1/2 inches across. Is this a necessary part? The bike has been run a long time before I changed the oil. I started it up last night and it seems to run fine. What is this spring's actual function?

Everrett.

Everrett Prostrollo
1977 Honda Goldwing modified to
a 1990 Tri-Sport configuration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 02:47 PM

Post imported post

bigcowhead wrote:
Quote:
I have a question. I was changing the oil filter on my'77 GL1000for the first time and put in the new filter like the old one came out. After I had tightened up everything, I went inside and looked at my manual online only to find that there is a spring that goes between the filter and the cover. It looked like it was about 1 1/2 inches tall and about 1/1/2 inches across. Is this a necessary part? The bike has been run a long time before I changed the oil. I started it up last night and it seems to run fine. What is this spring's actual function?

Everrett.
Everrett, yes it is needed or the filter doesn't work as intended.. Without the spring it allows some of the dirty oil to by-pass the filter..

Twisty

Only a motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the window!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 03:05 PM

Post imported post

the spring holds the filter element tight against the engine.... this causes the oil to go through the filter allowing it to be cleaned of debris

at start -up the cold thick oil pushes the filter ellement away from the engine allowing the oil to BYPASS the filter element, but allows for better oil flow with the cold engine, when the oil warms and thins, the spring pushes the filter back againts the engine, causing the oil to flow through the element and be filtered

by taking out the spring, you essentially are running your engine without any filter element in place
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Twisty and Roger, I figured that anything on the bike that shows it to be stock would need to be there for a reason and that is why I asked. It looks like I will be doing another oil change here as soon as I source a spring . (I'llstart looking tomorrow) Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it.

Everrett

Everrett Prostrollo
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 09:44 PM

Post imported post

bigcowhead wrote:
Quote:
Twisty and Roger, I figured that anything on the bike that shows it to be stock would need to be there for a reason and that is why I asked. It looks like I will be doing another oil change here as soon as I source a spring . (I'llstart looking tomorrow) Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it.

Everrett
Everrett, don't forget there is also a washer that goes between the spring & oil filter element (keeps the spring from burrowing through the filter end)..

Twisty

Only a motorcyclist knows why a dog rides with his head out the window!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 08:11 PM

Post imported post

Try partsnmore.com. They have the washer for sure and the spring I believe. I lost the washer once and ya know, that old oil sure can hide some parts!

1979 GL1000 56K miles
Full Vetter package
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 07:48 AM

Post imported post

I beleive the parts are still available from mother-honda.... while I usually use the net to get parts (cheaper), these would not be expensive and so I would tend to just go to the local dealer... even though that means putting up with the pimpley adolescent who is only interested in crotch rockets (and that is the female behind the counter)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 08:16 AM

Post imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
Quote:
I beleive the parts are still available from mother-honda.... while I usually use the net to get parts (cheaper), these would not be expensive and so I would tend to just go to the local dealer... even though that means putting up with the pimpley adolescent who is only interested in crotch rockets (and that is the female behind the counter)
Dang it sounds like you have been to "Honda of Norfolk"!!!! Just kidding Linda and Paul there try very hard to take good care of me. I think they have my phone number memorized!!

Whiskerfish
2008 GL1800 Base

1978/9 Dressed daily rider 45k miles

1975 Nekid Noisy and Nasty
1975 Nekid in pieces parts
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Rescuer, I found their site and ordered 35 dollars worth of stuff (minimum) so I could get the washer and spring. I ended up getting a few more filters, a magnetic oil pan bolt ( which just dawned on me that I can't use because I am using an aftermarket dipstick), the spring and washer I need, and a set of exhaust o rings.

Thanks for the information

Everrett

Everrett Prostrollo
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 06:38 PM

Post imported post

You bet, glad I could help.

1979 GL1000 56K miles
Full Vetter package
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page