Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oshkosh, Wisconsin, USA
Oohhhh, extrawrinkle's idea really is a good one! I can't believe I didn't remember it for my cover. I've used a thin, flexible putty knife many times over the years. Works great and no damage that can't be easily filed out. Usually more damage removing old gasket than anything else. Just tap it into the seam slowly & gently, alternately working the 3 sides accessible.
I've seen way too many cases where the owner(s) & shops globbed-on the silicone sealant, only to have the excess (inside) soften up, separate, and thoroughly contaminate everything, plugging holes and filters. Not good at all. Hope yours is still intact inside there so you can recover it all!
Aluminum expands from heat at a rate slightly more than double that of steel. In the case of the trans. cover, it is insulated from the engine cases by the gasket, and the engine acts as a greater heat sink than the cover, so the act of expanding the cover did help to free the gasket bond somewhat. I know it finally came off, when it wouldn't budge before.
Yup, those little hollow dowels can be a problem, one of the two in my water pump cover was exactly rusted and expanded to a press-fit as described earlier by lil pete.
I do all my own stunts...