tire mounting - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Forum Diplomat

Post imported post

Got a new pair of elite 3's delivered to my door yesterday...... look all new and virginal leaning against my hearth......

Anyone here had any experience "busting," mounting, and balancing their own tires?

I read about a guy who made a home machine out of a twenty gallon drum with split heating hose around the rim..... dumped cement in the bottom and stuck up a piece of all-thread in the middle..... uses tire irons..... balances it with the axle on milk crates! Now costs $50 per tire plus in my area for mounting and balancing.......

Any insights appreciated!

First name: Mel (Red\'s: Sandy)

"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 09:22 AM

Post imported post

Hey Cousin Jack.... I personally just remove my tires and take em and the new tire to a Motorcycle shop (not a honda dealer) for the work... Locally here it is $25 per tire off the bike.... Go to page 3 of the technical forum and see a recent post for this subject ofHarbor Freight....they sell em pretty cheap and there was a link there as well as to how to use it.. (Fred Harmon?)... Other posts here show many different methods for breaking the beads and changing tires from Long 2 x 4's and a bumper of a car to Voodoo dolls and stick pinsThe consensus is also to remove the rotor as to minimize any damage in a MC shop..

I guess it depends how often you change the tire and what you're capable of trying that would dictate which you choose

Nick

1982 GL1100I 1994 GL1500I
Keep the shiny side up
Nick
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 09:24 AM

Year: 2014
Model: GL1800 Airbag
Garage
Post imported post

$50.00 ?????? I think I would check around a bit. I had 2 tires mounted in the spring. I had the wheels off so it only cost me $15.00 per tire to have them mounted and balanced. The place quoted me $45.00 per tire if I rode the bike in and they took them off. That's what I will do next time. As for balancing them yourself, there is a liquid balancer/sealer that you can put in the tires when you mount them. I can't remember the name (Green Goop maybe?) but I'm sure someone will be along with that info soon. You could probably do a search for tire balancing or tire sealant and find the info.

Bob Smith
NASSIR 4 Pictures
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wild Rhinos - Ontario Chapter

2014 GL1800 Airbag
2007 V Star 1300 (Hers)
2000 Shadow A.C.E. Deluxe 750 (Sons)
Previously owned: 1985 GL1200 A - (2X)2000 GL1500A

If you don't stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 10:45 AM

Post imported post

In regards to the sealer/balancing fluid, you might be thinking of Ride-On tire sealant. I'm running it in my Avons as a preventive measure. The company claims that this sealant will seal a hole up to an 1/8" and will allow you to make it to where you can get the tire fixed/replaced. That in itself makes it worth the extra $8 a tire. Plus they do claim that this stuff helps balance your tires. That I can't prove as the Avons ran pretty smoothly without the stuff. Also, so your mechanic won't get his undies in a wad, the stuff is non-toxic, non-flammable(unlike the propane pressurised stuff) and non-corrosive. It washes off with water. I've talked with others who have used it and have had no issues with it.

If you're interested here's the link: http://www.ride-on.com/prod_mot.asp

Regards,

Hobie

I edited the link to take you directly to the motorcycle section.

Mark
Wineberry 1983 Interstate
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 11:05 AM

Model: GLA
Post imported post

Cousin Jack

I have always mounted my own but I havea couple tire irons just for that purpose, it takes a bit of grunt work and can be done but it is not a cake walk.Plus I have no way of balancing. If you can find someone at $25.00 a tire to do it, I think you'll consider it a bargin. They will have the proper machines and less likely to damage your rims. To say nothing of the lack of stress to yourself. Just my two cents worth.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 11:35 AM

Post imported post

nickstas wrote:
Quote:
subject ofHarbor Freight....they sell em pretty cheap and there was a link there as well as to how to use it.. (Fred Harmon?)...
I have at least three friends that have the Harbor Frieght set up and love it. If you go with it do yourself a favor and mount it with some concrete anchors on a solid floor

1986 GL 1200 Interstate
2001 XR100 (Daughters)
90 Mazda Miata
MSF Rider Coach
Retired USAF
Nebraska PGR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 11:37 AM

Post imported post

Goldwings 4 ever wrote:
Quote:
$50.00 ?????? I think I would check around a bit. I had 2 tires mounted in the spring. I had the wheels off so it only cost me $15.00 per tire to have them mounted and balanced. The place quoted me $45.00 per tire if I rode the bike in and they took them off. That's what I will do next time. As for balancing them yourself, there is a liquid balancer/sealer that you can put in the tires when you mount them. I can't remember the name (Green Goop maybe?) but I'm sure someone will be along with that info soon. You could probably do a search for tire balancing or tire sealant and find the info.
$50 is standard in Omaha, off the bike. That's why alot of guys are going with the Harbor Frieght set up. If on sell it cost less than $100 and you get more quality time with your bike.

1986 GL 1200 Interstate
2001 XR100 (Daughters)
90 Mazda Miata
MSF Rider Coach
Retired USAF
Nebraska PGR

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 12:04 PM
fgh

Model: GL1100 Aspy
Post imported post

I use an old 14" auto rim with a piece of heater hose on the edge to protect the rim. To break the bead I use a 2" x 4" x 8' with a piece about 3" long cut off the end and attached to the 2" x 4" about 2 feet from the end. I strap the wheel on with some packing straps put it in front of the car and use the stub piece on the 2" x 4" to pry the bead off with the end of the 2" x 4" under the car's bumper. I too put the wheel on the axle and set it on car stands to balance it.

YOU REALLY OUGHT TO HAVE SOME RIMS PROTECTORS AND A 15" OR LONGER TIRE IRON. I heard people use PVC pipe for rim protectors.

fgh
\'83 Aspy
\'83 GS750ES
If it ain\'t broke you can\'t fix it!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 07:17 PM

Post imported post

I just changed the tires on my 1100 recently with my father's help. We used a couple of 4x4 chunks to hold the rims up off the ground to protect the rotors and some 2/4s with a really large c-clamp to break the beads down. Then with the help of some jumbo screwdrives to hold the tire edges up and some small flat bar nail pullers we changed the tires. It was much easier than changing a regular car time using the manual method. The only reason we did it ourselves was to only local shop wanted $30 dollars a tire to change time to the new ones I had purchased and when my father went to drop the rims and new tires off, the man said he didn't mount tires he didn't sell after all. Made dad made and he decided we could do it ourselves just as good as he could.

I really thought it wasn't too bad of a deal. With the harbor freight changer I think it would be a breeze. We didn't balance them, but the seem to be running pretty smooth as is.

1980 GL1100 Standard with Vetter Windjammer fairing
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 07:33 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

I used a bench vise to break the bead on the old tire, a piece of 3/4" x 4" on each side of the tire where it met the vise jaws. I have broken the bead on tires by jacking up my car, placing the bike wheel under the car tire with a piece of wood on the bike tire and easing the car down on the tire with the jack. A little prying on the tire with an iron while the car is pressing down on it usually breaks it loose nicely. Just be careful not to set the car down on the rim itself.

I remove the brake disks while working on the tires. Laying the wheel on my work table, it wasn't too hard to work the old E2 off with a couple tire irons made out of 1" x 1/8" steel strap, shaped with a grinder. I wrap the irons with friction tape to protect the rims. Balancing the wheels was easy, support the axle on each side, make sure the wheel is vertical and give it a slight spin. A slight spin or you'll be waiting a long time for the wheel to stop. I mark the upper side the the tire with tape or chalk and spin it again. After three or four tries you'll see whether the wheel is balanced and the chalk marks are randomly spaced around the wheel or they will tend to group together in one area. Stick on an adhesive tire weight in the center of the group of chalk marks and spin the wheel. eventually the chalk marks will be scattered randomlyaround the wheel indicating it's correctly balanced. You don't need fancy machines. I've had my bikes over 100mph on tires I balanced this way and they ran smoothly.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page