Rear Master Cylinder Bleed---GL1100 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Lew

Post imported post

Greetings and Ho, ho, ho, I rebuilt the rear master cylinder and could not get it to prime. I removed it for a bench test. The only time that I can get it to suck fluid into the unit is to hold my finger over the discharge to create back pressure.
When the system has been opened, how does one creat enough back pressure to prime it? Thanks, Lew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 11:40 AM

Post imported post

what do you mean by finger over the discharge? do you mean bleed nipple?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Lew

Post imported post

Greetings, While the master cylinder is held in a vice and no hose connected to the discharge, I hold my finger directly on the master cylinder discharge. It creates enough pressure to squirt fluid around around my finger. When my finger is not over the discharge, it will not suck fluid in. The cylinder intake is flooded. Hope that helps. Thanks again, Lew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 12:07 PM

Post imported post

Hi if the system has been drained to expel air from the system the procedure for bleeding the brake is best carried out by two people make sure fluid level is at max mark the reservoir must be kept at least half full of fluid during the bleeding procedure. attach a clear plastic pipe from the bleed screw to a container with some clean fluid in it. Press the lever to build up pressure then release bleed screw half a turn close the bleed screw before you get to the end of the travel then release lever and repeat until presure and no air is in the system. hope this helps.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 01:37 PM

Post imported post

First and foremost on these cylinders, did you confirm that the small hole in the cylinder body (return fluid feed) was clear? It will be very difficult to bleed if this is plugged (and will lock up the rear wheel when you ride it and brake a couple of times - been there, done that).

If clear, I always use aMityVac to bleed the rear -it seems to work the best.

Ernie, 81 GL1100.

Ernie
1981 GL1100I
1993 Ducati 900SS
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Lew

Post imported post

Thanks for your help!! What is the best way to clear that hole. Will a small wire go through the hole? Thanks again, Lew
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 02:41 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

a small piece of steel wire, maybe a needle or straight pin, quitar steel wire string, etc...

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 02:42 PM

Post imported post

Someone on this board suggested electric guitar strings/wire. I bought 3-4 different sizes at about .99 cents each and they work great.

Ernie
1981 GL1100I
1993 Ducati 900SS
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 09:53 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

I just clamp a wire from a wire wheel in a small vise grip and poke out the hole. You don't say which 1100 you have, if it's an 83 you need to bleed the linked front brake first, always bleed the one farthest away from the master cylinder first. If you have an 80-82 model the brakes aren't linked this doesn't apply.

One other possible bleeding problem that crops up now and then is a plugged bleed screw on the caliper. Usually these can be cleaned out with a bit of hand reaming with a properly sized drill bit. If you have one use a vacuum source to pull fluid into the system from the caliper bleed screw as aternie mentioned.

Not to insult you, but you did install the rubber piston cup with the open end facing the output end of the cylinder and with the large end of the spring facing the output end? If either of these are backwards the master won't work. (Don't ask)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page