Speed pickup noise in Audio system. - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Has anyone heard of this problem before?

The pulse generated by the speed sensor on the front wheel is carrying (Bleeding) over into the Audio system on my 84 Aspencade. It sounds like a whine at speed but slows to a pop...pop as speed decreases.

I suspectI may need to install a filter but not sure what has caused it. I can see by the schematic that there could already be a filter installed although it was an option and I haven't confirmed it's existance as yet.

Thanks, Cruzan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 09:53 AM

Year: 2003
Model: GL1800
Send a message via Yahoo to wexy
Post imported post

Yep it sounds like a surpressor(filter) either missing or gone bad ,,If it has only come into it ,then I would suspect a filter gone bad ,Also check all the grounds are clean and tight ,,Cheers Ciaran

CIARAN (pronounced Keeron)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yes it is Gaelic
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 11:58 AM

Send a message via MSN to gkiesel
Post imported post

Cruzan, My 84 does the same thing!, the faster i go the more it turns into a wine type of sound. Funny thing is there is no noise through the headset, only through the speakers. I have never been able to track down the source. It seems to have started after I installed the EC harness. But I could be mistaken. Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one. George.

George K
1984 Aspencade
1999 Kawasaki zrx1100
1995 Honda CR250
1977 KZ400 S3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Post imported post

gkiesel wrote:
Quote:
Cruzan, My 84 does the same thing!, the faster i go the more it turns into a wine type of sound. Funny thing is there is no noise through the headset, only through the speakers. I have never been able to track down the source. It seems to have started after I installed the EC harness. But I could be mistaken. Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one. George.
Don't know if it would help or if you can but have you tried re-routing the EC harness around into different positions to see if it makes it better or worse?

Rudy

“...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun”
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 12:15 PM
Senior Guru

Garage
Post imported post

The speedo encoder is such a low level signal, it seems unlikely to contribute to radio noise. I see no supressor/condensor in the schematic. I know that regulator switching can get into the radio signal. Are you saying you get the noise at wheel speed, no matter what gear you're in? Confirm whether it is related to engine rpm, and if it is, try cleaning up as many grounds as you can find. That ground at the triangle engine mount, is suspect, as well as the grounds at regulator. Sounds like a "ground loop" problem. Might refresh the radio contacts at back of radio, also.

BOB

Knicknacks by Eric of Holland (former LTD rider)

80 Int., 85 Int., 85 LTD, 90/2000 1500, and now a 2006 Nav, Cabernet Red
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Noise is definately generated by wheel speed as I can duplicate it by spinning the wheel by hand with the engine off. I will check the EC Harness routing and confirm good grounds. Thanks all
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 01:45 PM

Send a message via MSN to gkiesel
Post imported post

Yes definitely wheel speed here too. With engine off, rolling down a hill, the noise changes speed and pitch the faster the machine rolls and goes to zero coming to a stop.

George K
1984 Aspencade
1999 Kawasaki zrx1100
1995 Honda CR250
1977 KZ400 S3
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Senior Guru

Garage
Post imported post

Could actually be eminating in speod cluster, after it's amplified. Keep us posted. My last 2 digital dashes didn't do that at all, but I didn't do the EC harness. Must be related to that, it seems.

BOB

Knicknacks by Eric of Holland (former LTD rider)

80 Int., 85 Int., 85 LTD, 90/2000 1500, and now a 2006 Nav, Cabernet Red
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 10:21 AM
Ed

Model: GL1200A
Send a message via Skype™ to edgin1601
Post imported post

Had a problem as such and it was the antenna, I had unscrewed it and when I put it on again I had that problem. Redone the antanna and it quit

IF you Can\'t afford a Doctor, go to an airport-you\'ll get a free X-ray and breast exam, and; if you mention Al Qaeda you\'ll get a free colonoscopy.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks for the help.

I checked the antenna connections and found that there was some rust in the folding joint. Cleaned it and replaced thejoint fastener.Everything seems fine. That will sure make the audio more enjoyable.

Safe Cruzan

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page