New member from Canada with a radio static problem - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I had removed the trunk and saddlebags in one piece - diconnecting all the wiring under the seat along with the air hose to the rear shock. Changed out the tire (tyre), rebuild rear caliper, new pads etc. etc. etc.

Got her all back together last night and fired it up. All four speakers have static with the radio turned off. Plug in a cassette - changing to tape mode - and the static is gone. Tape plays fine.

I'm thinking Ive got a loose wire but I've checked and rechecked and can't find the problem.

Anyone have any idea what I should be looking for?

Awesome forum folks - I've been sufing it for about a year now and find it very helpful - hopefully I'll be a contributing member in the future (first year with the wing - but I love a challenge)

Miles

Miles
Double darksiding on my newly triked ride!

Remember, while you are the oldest you have ever been, you are also the youngest you will ever be - and it\'s all running out pretty fast so make the most of what\'s left!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 07:45 PM

Post imported post

Welcome, mkbwatts! Redwing is the official welcomer...can't imagine where he's run off to.

You say you fired it up. Is this a spark noise, keeping pace with engine speed? Or random static, like AM stations get during lightning storms? My current "visual" is that you cross-connected wires, or have pinched wires somewhere in your workzone. Do you remember any wires not color-coded or polarized?

I do all my own stunts...
Mike
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 08:09 PM
Token Canuk

Model: 1996 SE
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to 96aspencade Send a message via Skype™ to 96aspencade
Post imported post

Welcome mkbwatts from another Canuck, you'll love it here & get your problem solved too. Definatly sounds like Fenderhead suggests with unwanted power getting to the speakers but then you say it is not there with the tape playing ???? Just be thankfull you are not asking about your Deer Alerts or Oil

Retired Paramedic - 35 yrs
Never had a bad day riding-Just some better than others!!
DD # 1138
30,000 miles - Formosa,
'96 GL 1500 SE - 260,k km
Goodyear Assurance (175/60/16), now on my 2nd
'84 Shadow VT 750c - 35,k km- BF Goodrich Radial TA
'90 Suzuki Intruder 750 88,k km
'85 GL 1200 Aspencade - 185,k km
'83 Shadow 500
'70 Kawasaki KE-125
'?? Suzuki 80

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(Skid Prevention/ Emergency Techniques)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hey thanks for the welcome!!

Feeling a little SPUTID right now . . . Just went back to the garage and actually tuned in a radio station - guess what - no static!!!

Looking forward to hanging around here and getting involved!!

Thanks all.

Miles

Miles

Remember, while you are the oldest you have ever been, you are also the youngest you will ever be - and it\'s all running out pretty fast so make the most of what\'s left!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Just a follow up . . . Part of this work was the install of new Hollywood Long pipes.

Great sound - great product!

Miles

Miles

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 05:23 AM
Old Broad

Year: 1995
Make: Yamaha Virago
Model: 1985 GL1200 I w/LTD body(SOLD :( )
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to fysty-1
Post imported post

mkbwatts wrote:
Quote:
Just a follow up . . . Part of this work was the install of new Hollywood Long pipes.

Great sound - great product!

Miles
A very hearty welcome to the best darned forum anywhere

MKB those pipes you are talking about. Do you have site where they can be got? You should put you location on your profile so we all know what part of the world you are from. You'll find the guys here somwhat goofy but extremly knowledgable. They have helped me a lot with my 1200. Ride safe

Angela, aka fysty-1(R) & Dani(L), S.Surrey, B.C.
1985 Gold Wing GL1200 I(SOLD Apr/2012)
No matter how blue it may get, there is always a rainbow in the sky.
Blue is not the fastest color, but it is the prettiest.

(women only)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 05:23 AM
Old Broad

Year: 1995
Make: Yamaha Virago
Model: 1985 GL1200 I w/LTD body(SOLD :( )
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to fysty-1
Post imported post

stupid 2x click:P

Angela, aka fysty-1(R) & Dani(L), S.Surrey, B.C.
1985 Gold Wing GL1200 I(SOLD Apr/2012)
No matter how blue it may get, there is always a rainbow in the sky.
Blue is not the fastest color, but it is the prettiest.

(women only)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

The pipes came from GoldwingCountry.com - no duty - no taxes - don't ask me why but I think Canada Post screwed up.

Location is in my profile now.

Ciao

Miles

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 06:30 AM
Token Canuk

Model: 1996 SE
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to 96aspencade Send a message via Skype™ to 96aspencade
Post imported post

mkbwatts wrote:
Quote:
Hey thanks for the welcome!!

Feeling a little SPUTID right now . . . Just went back to the garage and actually tuned in a radio station - guess what - no static!!!

Looking forward to hanging around here and getting involved!!

Thanks all.

Miles
Hey Mike - consider your dues paid in full, just proved you are as good as the rest of us & worthy of a full membership. .

Retired Paramedic - 35 yrs
Never had a bad day riding-Just some better than others!!
DD # 1138
30,000 miles - Formosa,
'96 GL 1500 SE - 260,k km
Goodyear Assurance (175/60/16), now on my 2nd
'84 Shadow VT 750c - 35,k km- BF Goodrich Radial TA
'90 Suzuki Intruder 750 88,k km
'85 GL 1200 Aspencade - 185,k km
'83 Shadow 500
'70 Kawasaki KE-125
'?? Suzuki 80

(Skid Prevention/ Emergency Techniques)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 01:38 PM
Ed

Model: GL1200A
Send a message via Skype™ to edgin1601
Post imported post

Make sure your antenna is tight, I had a problem like that. I re-done that and it is ok.

IF you Can\'t afford a Doctor, go to an airport-you\'ll get a free X-ray and breast exam, and; if you mention Al Qaeda you\'ll get a free colonoscopy.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page