GL1200 hard starting after changing timing belts - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

GL1200 hard starting after changing timing belts

Ok...here goes...I changed timing belts today on 1200 ASPEPY...all marks are perfect...starts instantly, runs great...but when it gets warmed up...it will hardly turn over, bumping starter, only gets a small groan....but let it set for a 3 or 4 minutes, it spins right over, blasts off...seems almost like it had very hot engine....but water level is good..temp. gage goes from 4 to 5 bars, then back to 4...this has me wondering....the belt to tight, would not do that...would it....there is no whin, got about 1/8 give on the belts...give me your ideas.....now remember, I did belts today...after letting it run for about 10 minutes, a friend went with me on a ride....we rode for 20 minutes, came back into yarrd....turned it off...hit starter, that was first indication, waited 3 minutes...good as new...did same again a hour later after a 1 hr. ride same thing happened...after setting a couple minutes, it started like new...water levels all look good...yes fan comes on...BY THE WAY....When you go buy belts, look for a drug store, get a tube of Preperation H...Because one man doing this job is a B I G pain in the butt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 09:58 PM

Post imported post

Did you have this starting problem prior to your belt change?

Bagman51 (Bob)
81 GL1100i
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 10:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2wings
Post imported post

I have heard that two doing this service work is better than one. You really need the extra hands to hold things steady. Is you battery charging? If the bike is running off the battery it will dragwhile the engine is hot. After itcools sometime it will crank again as if nothing was wrong.

I have no clue on the tension but that seems a bit tight compare to mine that seemed relatively loose. I was told they were fine and were not supposed to be tight like a fan belt on an auto. But what do I know

Some member more experienced will be along soon and help you correct your problem. Preparation H is good to keep in the toolbox along with JB Weld,however do not get them mixed up and apply them to the wrong END

Keep on Winging

John Young
92 GL 1500
On the hunt for a Red 2005 1800 with all the fixings
49 Wife ....Keeping the Wife, to much invested
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

The starting problem...no never had a problem before belt change...to me it is like a car that has run hot...sometimes they are hard to start until they cool down,,,,or like it has a huge amount of compression...well crap, you know what I mean, ...let it set for a couple menutes, all is fine. it will bust right off with only a couple spins..runs great...the only concern is just they starting aft5er running for awhile
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 07:01 AM

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: 1800 Goldwing
Post imported post

I've had vehicles here had timing belts installed one tooth out and run fine but hard hot starting. Hate to say it but i'd pull the covers and triple check the belt timing

02 1800-PEARL CHROMIUM PURPLE ( ILLUSSION BLUE )
__________________________________________________ __
Tony or Anthony if your mad at me
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 03:57 PM

Model: gl1100
On older cars when the positive wire to the starter was ran too close the exhaust it would slow down the flow of electricity causing the car not to turn over when hot. Once the wire cools down it conducts the electricity better and will allow enough power to turn the starter. Might have the wire ran too close to the exhaust.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 04:03 PM

Model: 1981 1100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVA AUTO TECH View Post
I've had vehicles here had timing belts installed one tooth out and run fine but hard hot starting. Hate to say it but i'd pull the covers and triple check the belt timing
+1 on the belt timing
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 06:02 PM

Model: 87 Aspy,SEI,LTD
Garage
Send a message via AIM to neoracer Send a message via Yahoo to neoracer Send a message via Skype™ to neoracer
i'd have to agree on rechecking belt timing and most likely your starter is in need of cleaning and/or brushes

"ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY,ANY DAY YOU CAN RIDE IS A GREAT DAY"

86 SEI 93K 87 Aspy 129K 85 LTD 34K (refurb)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 06:13 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Also check your battery cable connections.
A bad connection can often pass electrons freely when cold and say "This is not happening." when hot.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Impersonating a mechanic

Year: 1982 & 1985
Model: 82 GL1100-I PA/85 GL1200-A ID
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry8671 View Post
On older cars when the positive wire to the starter was ran too close the exhaust it would slow down the flow of electricity causing the car not to turn over when hot. Once the wire cools down it conducts the electricity better and will allow enough power to turn the starter. Might have the wire ran too close to the exhaust.
Hi, Jerry, and welcome to the site. Your post is informative and -- it's not a problem -- but did you realize that you were responding to a post that's over 6 years old?

Pete

82 GL1100-I -- PA
85 GL1200-A -- ID
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page