Starting a major project, at least to me it is... (long) - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I'm not the most mechanical guy in the world, but I prefer doing things myself if I think I'm up to the task. I've got the utmost respect for those that can perform the really complex procedures on bikes, cars, and trucks. I'm diving into a project, probably starting tonight, that is fairly complex for me, though it would be routine for most others.
When I first bought my bike a few weeks ago, I noticed that the front brakes felt spongy, and the clutch handle was quite difficult to operate. Since the bike hadn't really been ridden in years, I wrote some of that off to inactivity, expecting things to free up with a little use. I also knew that I needed new tires. The ones on the bike had virtually all their tread in place, but the sidewalls were badly cracked.
At first, I toyed with the idea of changing my own tires. After all, I bought this bike because I wanted to do as much of the work myself as possible. However, after looking at the expense of buying up the necessary tools to mount and balance the tires, and then having to store them somewhere until the day came around that I might need them again, I decided to just have a shop mount new tires. While they had the bike, I asked them to do a "walk around", and let me know what other things needed to be done.
They gave me an itemized list of things that needed repair/replacement, complete with part numbers, prices, and labor charges for installation.
There was no way in the world that I was going to fork over the money they wanted to do all the work, but I used their quotes as a shopping list for parts, and have gathered up nearly all the pieces necessary to do the majority of the work that needs to be done. The only remaining component is the new front master cylinder that is due for delivery via UPS today. Here's the list of stuff I'm going to be putting on:
front master cylinder, new set of brake lines, new clutch perch, new clutch cable, and new grips.
This is probably laughably simple to some of you, but is quite the undertaking for me. Don't be too surprised if a number of questions pop up as I go along.
For example, what problems am I going to encounter when it comes to putting the new grips on? If it's anything like putting new grips on a golf club, you merely use something very slippery, like liquid dishwashing soap, and ram the sucker on while it's still wet. After it dries, it's tightly in place. Are there other tips on this step of the project, or any of the other steps you'd like to offer?
I appreciate all the advice I've already received from the group, and will heed all the advice y'all want to offer on the rest of my project.
Thanks for listening.

\'88 GL1500

¡Viva Los Cargadores!
IBA #33900
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 06:02 AM

Year: 1983
Model: 1983 Honda Goldwing GL1100A Aspencade
Post imported post

Yo Sandy Eggo. Ask away! There are members here ready to answer.

~teacher~~~

~Butch~~~
1983 GL1100A,Wineberry
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 06:24 AM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Post imported post

Kudos for taking matters into your own hands. You will find it very rewarding upon completion.

As far as brakes goes I will simply say bleeding is the real PITA so don't get impatient with that part.

Also brake fluid and paint don't mix, even in trace amounts. Protect what you care about.

Grips are glued on.. Some guys have techniques with compressed air to "balloon" the grips away from the glue. I cut off the ends of the old grips, then slit them lengthwise and peel them like a banana using a butter knife to pry the harder parts loose. Assumning they are rubber to start with. Others have their own techniques and I'll let them speak up about those.

Not too much fun there but it can be done.

Rudy

“...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 06:28 AM

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: 1800 Goldwing
Post imported post

Hello Sandy Eggo. I've always beleved that if a person did it so can i.Theylearned through trial and error and by asking others. In the time i've been on this site i've found alot of expereince people. When you work on your bike be clean, orginized, take pictures and notes. least of all don't be afraid to ask the great folks here no matter how stupid it may sound. Alot of folks here have been there and done it. Tony

02 1800-PEARL CHROMIUM PURPLE ( ILLUSSION BLUE )
__________________________________________________ __
Tony or Anthony if your mad at me
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page