Loss Of Running Lights, Dash Lights-Blown Fuses 1964 Interstate - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

For no perceptible reason, every time I turn on my lights, the taillights and the dash lights blow the fuse...I had this problem once before with my "after market accessories bumper lights". I put this on a separate circuit and that was no longer a problem. Now, my fuses blow every time I turn on the lights. Luckily, the headlight and brake lights are on a separate circuit.

Obviously, it's "shorting out", but does anybody have any particular experience as to where the most likely "shorting out location" might be?

"The only thing we have to fear is...fear itself!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 06:12 PM

Post imported post

i would say that being a "64" interstate it would be a corrosion problem, however seening as it was a typo i would suggest tracing back the wiring on the lights and look for bad earthing or maybe wiring that has rubbed through, failing that it may be in the fuse box..............thats me out of ideas..........

\"\"THE MAD WELSHMAN in OZ\"\"

\"Lifetime member of the ORIGINAL 6 PACK club\"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 08:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2wings
Post imported post

Be sure that none of the wires that are routed under the seat are grounding. This area is a favorite spot because of easy access for a novice electricians to grab a hot wire. Recheck accessories, often aftermarket additions are not wired properly, especially driving and running lights, one of which or both may be on that same circuit. That's my 3 cents worth.

Keep on Winging

John Young
92 GL 1500
On the hunt for a Red 2005 1800 with all the fixings
49 Wife ....Keeping the Wife, to much invested
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 11:15 PM
Goldwing Addict :-)

Model: GL1500SE, GL1200A
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Jluvs2dive Send a message via MSN to Jluvs2dive Send a message via Yahoo to Jluvs2dive
Post imported post

Dean,

As 2Wings mentioned, under the seat is a great starting point, not only for looking for add in wiring, but because you also have easy access to the rear lighting plugs, and can easily unplug them for troubleshooting. Just take the seat off and unplug all the rear lighting and try the lights with new fuses, if they still blow, you've eliminated all of the rear lights, at least all of them wired past the plugs. If it turns out that the problem is not on the rear lights, then you will just have to break it down to sections and eliminate them one by one.

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bought with just under 9000 miles on 08/19/2008

also
84 Aspy
84 Interstate
past
86 GL1200 Aspy
84 Standard
87 Interstate
80 Yam Midnight Special 1100
79 Suz SP400 Enduro
72 Honda SL350
81 Honda XR500
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 11:32 AM

Post imported post

I had a similar problem with my 1100. I traced the problem at the wires that run through rear light unit onto the mudgaurd. They are a very tight fit on mine and had consequently earthed onto mudguard. Every time I applied the rear brake it blew the main fuse ! Hope this is of some help to you.

gl 1100 interstate 1981
gs80 bmw (for sale)
Sportster- just got a new coat a\' paint.
Still learning....
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 01:01 PM

Post imported post

taffy australia wrote:
Quote:
i would say that being a "64" interstate it would be a corrosion problem...
:clapper :

[COLOR=GREEN]Endwell_Tim
81 GL1100I ---->>>> GONE!!!
90 GL1500 SE
"Opportunity is most often missed because it shows up in overalls, lookin\' like work..."
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page